Gpsr For A Low-tech Friend

nfa

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a GPS unit for a friend of mine who has been fascinated by my stories of geocaching, and navigation using the GPSr I have. He is not as much of a tech weenie as I am, and I have trouble seeing him using mapping software or downloading hundreds of waypoints...he doesn't own a computer, using either his girlfriend's one or one in the local public library. He is also rough on gear, and the gps will probably end up in the water more than once.

Enough background...for the reasons listed above, a Sportrak seemed like a good choice to me, but I would be interested in hearing from others in this forum on their choices if they were in my shoes, and their reasoning.

Thanks for your help,

nfa

Edited by NFA

I think the Garmin interface is easier to use than Magellan, but that puts you into an eTrex Yellow or a Gecko for Garmin. The extra buttons on the Sport track will make some aspects easier for it inspite of the Magellan interace.

So that's my opinion, you have a basic GPS with a better antanea you have already selected. Check out the eTrex and Gecko and see which is "easier". I hear good things about the Gecko so maybe it really is the easies to use.

I have the same problem with my Dad. He wanted a GPS so he could go out and mark places of interest to him and then go back to them. Sometimes he likes to mark places and then hands the data over to me so I can put it on a map for him.

He likes the Garmin GPS II+. First off, its non-mapping, non-built in compass or any other stuff on it to confuse him. It has a button on the front, in plain view that says "MARK" and he can just press that and be done with it. Also it is pretty difficult to tinker with the settings so he can't mess those up. The II+ "chassis" is extremely durable and I know he can't hurt it. Now since the memory battery has been replaced, it does not eat batteries anymore and is capable of getting a signal lock with relative efficiency.

I would avoid the Etrex line of GPS. I looked at them and the interface is kind of difficult to understand (even for me!). The Geko might be good, and getting the 101 would probably be best since it doesn't have those "games" on there (for him, it can be confusing) and you don't need computer interface (once again, more confusing stuff). All of the buttons are on the front and reasonably marked (less confusing). I think this will be a good unit for him. It doesn't have a "backlit" screen (confusing stuff) and it seems to be small and lightweight so it can be carried with ease.

I have no experience in Magellan units so I cannot say anything about them.

Do you have a "Bass Pro Shop" or a "Cabelas" or any other such store near you? You can go to them and handle the units to see if that is what you need to buy. In fact, I think I'll knock off a little early and go check out some GPS units :D.

Hope this helps.

Max T.

P.S. In review, need bare bones, small, light, durable GPS!

Hi,

thanks for the replies so far...I think I'm down to the Etrex or the geko...what other gear would you throw in if you were giving it as a gift (or like to have thrown in if you were receiving it)?

thanks for your help,

nfa

Edited by NFA

NFA,

I think if you get him a Etrex, also get him a neoprene case. I think these are mighty fine.

Also, I just looked at some GPSs at Bass Pro today. The Garmin 72 is also a good unit to look into. Its about 160 bucks and it offers a good interface and a large screen (I know for some peoples the large screen is VERY important). It might be worth the 60 extra bucks to upgrade. I looked at the Geko and it is dead simple. I mean, UBER simple. While the display is small, all of the letters are pretty big so that is good.

Max T.

I bought a Lowrance infinder pro with a 256 chip which contains a very detailed map of my provience. I bought it because I can use it without connecting the thing to a computer to have a highly functional gps. I took it right out of the box, put the chip in and away I went. I have had it for a week and it is pretty easy to use.