Is there a way to...

tmlee

You know how you can download the waypoints and convert them to say...CVS for microsoft maps and streets or whatever its called. I want to know if there is a way to download the whole state instead of 25 or so at a time...You know what I mean? Should I go into greater detail on what I want to do. Basically I want to put every cache from the state of ohio on the map in my laptop and the states of michigan, and PA. That way, I can just open it up, say, wow look that, i am close to cache, I guess I will have ot go find it... ANY info would be greatly appreciated. THanks

Todd (tmlee)

My opinion, not yours...there is space for yours, so lets hear it...

As Sbell111 said if you have a membership you can download the cache coords from the site as .loc files. Normaly you'd open these files with EasyGPS or ExpertGPS, but you can download the files and open them with MS Excel, delete the unessarry fields save it and inport it into MS MapPoint. It'll put thumbtacks on the map for you.

I use it all the time. Its alot easier to see the whole scope of caches so that I can plan my cacheing day to the fullest!

This is an example of what it looks like.

quote:
If you download from say, your local cache list to a loc file, you can open the loc file and save it as CSV with Geobuddy.

Excellent advice! One thing I would add is that since you can only download one page of caches at a time, you'll need to download all pages into separate .loc files and then combine them. I use Streets & Trips to do my mapping. Since I wanted a map of ALL the caches in the state, this is the whole process that I use:

1) Download each page into .loc files

2) Merge them all using Geobuddy

3) Save the new file as a .csv using Geobuddy

4) Import to S&T

Further, I do a separate import for caches found and caches not found, so that I can use a different thumbtack icon to differentiate between them. However, this means editing the .csv files in Excel before importing.

There's probably a better way to do all of this, but it works for us.

quote:
Originally posted by Gaddiel & OrangeDanish:

There's probably a better way to do all of this.

When you use CacheMaps you will be able to load loc-files and/or gpx-files. These files may contain one or many waypoints.

Within CacheMaps you select the caches you want to use, send them to (e.g.) GeoBuddy and save them from there.

Big advantage: you always have an overview of you caches, projected on an AreaMap, and can select the caches you want to use today.

Additional, a lot of online maps are available at a click.

BigBird icon_smile.gif

-- there is no spoon --

quote:
Originally posted by Gaddiel & OrangeDanish:

There's probably a better way to do all of this, but it works for us.

Of course, the better way is one (or two or three) GPX file(s) downloaded from a pocket query, use Watcher to combine them. Watcher can then be used to query the data to make a GPX that shows your found, and a separate for not found (and a separate one for yours). Then GPSBabel can translate each of those files into a CSV file, suitable for uploading to Streets and Trips.

I just wanted to provide a way to do it without having to pay for pocket queries. But if you're a premium member, you should definitely go the way I suggest above.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching