How does a GPS device get data?

Guest larrylau

Guest larrylau

hello all,

i'm a new to geocaching and know nothing about gps. i would like to know if i buy a gps device, do i need to apply any service so that my gps device know where i am? or does the gps device can receive data from satellite which provide data without charge?

i come from hong kong and i would like to know where i can buy a gps device.

thank you :-)

Guest larry_lau

thx ^^!

and now i have my first gps: eTrex.

it's hard to buy a gps in hongkong. i went to many camping shop but only 2 of them selling gps. and all are magellan...

i checked the garmin website and found the dealer in hk. and it cost HK$1040, about US$133. i used it in hk streets and nearly no signal received(too many high-rise building), but luckily, the district i live is quite open and can receive a strong signal.

actually i wanted to use it when i travel Shanghai in the coming holiday, but it seems that eTrex can't work for this purpose ^^!

Guest Mike_Teague

I think I'd be worried more about the Chinese government's opinion of GPS's to start with.. Maybe they dont mind... I just seem to remember a year or two ago, an American working in Russia was arrested and charged with spying because he was using a GPS unit while surveying cellular locations for some company or something.. (maybe he was close to a military base or something, I forget)

Guest larrylau

on't scare me...

well, i hope i won't be so unlucky...

at least, eTrex looks like a mobile phone, they may not know it's a gps...

and i've checked that there's many gps company in china, e.g. shanghai and they're selling magellan gps. i think they're more open-minded now. and as i'm chinese, they won't be so sensitive ^^!

haha, never thought of using gps leads to political problem

but thanks for reminding me :-)

Guest larrylau

oh my god, don't scare me...

well, i hope i won't be so unlucky...

at least, eTrex looks like a mobile phone, they may not know it's a gps...

and i've checked that there's many gps company in china, e.g. shanghai and they're selling magellan gps. i think they're more open-minded now. and as i'm chinese, they won't be so sensitive ^^!

haha, never thought of using gps leads to political problem

thanks for reminding me :-)