Etrex Vista Display Problem

I have had the Etrex Vista for about 6 months now and it has worked great. Recently have had the display and click stick problems that I have heard about quite a bit on here. Those problems come and go so the display is not messed up all the time. Now when the backlight turns on it makes the display go blank so its just a blank backlit screen. I have tried everything, restarted a million times, changed the batteries, updated the firmware, everything! The unit still works fine, it tracks the satellites, changes screens, but the screen is blank anytime the backlight is on, when the backlight turns off the displays comes right back and the unit was working fine the whole time. Has anyone else had this problem? I couldn't find this problem anywhere in these forums. I really hope I dont have to send it to Garmin!

I have had the Etrex Vista for about 6 months now and it has worked great.  Recently have had the display and click stick problems that I have heard about quite a bit on here.  Those problems come and go so the display is not messed up all the time.  Now when the backlight turns on it makes the display go blank so its just a blank backlit screen.  I have tried everything, restarted a million times, changed the batteries, updated the firmware, everything!  The unit still works fine, it tracks the satellites, changes screens, but the screen is blank anytime the backlight is on, when the backlight turns off the displays comes right back and the unit was working fine the whole time.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I couldn't find this problem anywhere in these forums.  I really hope I dont have to send it to Garmin!

You aren't alone, thats for sure...

The eTrex is about as reliable as an early 90's model Audi 80. They are overwhelmed with electrical gremlins! I loved my Vista when I had it for a few months (luckily with none of these common issues), but there are much better Garmin units out there that are far more dependable.

My advice is to call Garmin and tell them the problems you are having. They'll know right away what you are talking about and if you're lucky, they might even repair the unit under warranty even if the warranty has expired! Countless people on this board have had this luck with them.

:tongue:

Edited by vw_ev

Hmm these problems must be with later Vistas. I have one of the originals and have never had any issues with it and it's gotten slammed extremely hard. Also it could be that I haven't upgraded my firmware in over a year.

Have you tried changing the screen contrast?

I have had this problem only a few times with my legend and have found that smacking it against your hand will either fix it or make it turn off.

I also called tech suport on this issue and they told me that they will fix any problems for a flat rate of $99 no matter what the problem. I thought that was a bit much since i didnt pay half that for the unit so i am continuing to use it as is.