Destroyed Vs. Not Found

Mosaica

I searched for a number of benchmarks while on vacation in Maine. I've submitted one log, and I just wanted a bit of feedback & guidance as I proceed.. For the log I submitted for OB0483, I chose `destroyed.' Having read the description carefully, having visited the site, and having spoken with the local conservationist responsible for this area, I am pretty certain that I've got this right, but I do want to check. I noted in the FAQ that one should be cautious about using the `destroyed' option.

Now I have two more benchmark logs that I'd like to make. One seems, to me, to be clearly destroyed (the rock ledge upon which the benchmark was located was blasted away at some undetermined point since the benchmark was last recovered in order for the landowner to build a driveway.) The GPS reading I got seemed particularly accurate, and the written description indicated to me that I was correct.

The second case is less clear. In this case, the benchmark had been in the ground in a school yard. The school was torn down in the 1950s, and now there is a dismal-looking brushy lot with lots of tree stumps & a small trailer. I reckon that it's -possible- that the benchmark is still somewhere in that lot, perhaps buried under dirt, rocks, fill, etc. So that one I'm inclined to log as `not found.'

I'd appreciate any advice & guidance!

../Mosaica

I'll speak about the NGS logging criteria. The criteria for logging a destroyed depends on if it's a landmark feature or a survey disk. If it's a landmark, all that's needed is as a photo showing where it was.

If it's a survey disk, then you need find the actual disk. to get a positive identity.

So for your last two examples, a "can't find" with an explanation is the right way to go.

Now as far as logging on the Geocaching site ... well, that's another story.