Map Source Topo And Vista

I just inherited a Map Source Topo version, but it did not come with the manual. When I go to load it on my Vista, a message appears that says if I want to download this disk, it will erase the maps that came with my vista. Does that mean it will erase my Basemap? I am a bit new at all this, so I need some advice. Anyone out there who can help?

....When I go to load it on my Vista, a message appears that says if I want to download this disk, it will erase the maps that came with my vista.  Does that mean it will erase my Basemap?

You will be fine loading Map Source Topo maps. The factory loaded base map will not be erased. If you have any other mapping loaded, which it sounds like you do not, you would lose those. I use Topo US with my Legend, and now with my new Map60C and I love it. If you travel outside the Topo mapping area you load, you will see the base map transition back.

Go here: http://www.garmin.com//cartography/mapSource/topo.jsp

to download the Map Source Topo manual (in .PDF format) for free.

Good luck, and happy caching!

Be aware that the preloaded marine POI database and uploaded maps cannot coexist with each other. If you upload maps to the Vista, the marine POI database will be erased. If you later decide to restore the marine POI database, your uploaded maps will be erased. There is no getting around this unless Garmin somehow decides to convert the marine POI database as a map segment that you could upload to the GPS along with other maps in the same upload session.