Gsak And Plucker

Does GSAK work with Plucker? I'm finding I like the format of Plucker better then Cachmate...and I like the flexibility of GSAK vs Spinner. Can GSAK work with Plucker? When I convert via GSAK and export to Plucker I am getting text but no images. It says "cache" where there should be an image of a cache and where there should be a travel bug pic or a "found" smiley face. What can I do to remedy this problem?

I use the GSAK/Plucker combo and I'm very happy with it. However, I don't have any images showing up in my PDA. I checked my configuration of the Plucker channel and note that I do not have images enabled; I figure it's an unnecessary use of memory.

However, I'll take a crack at loading the images in Plucker. In the configuration options, go to the Images tab and make sure that loading images is enabled. I notice that Plucker requires considerably more time to process the html pages.

Realtime processing here...this looks like it will take a while. Guess I'll go ahead and post this and let you know if it worked or not in a little while. *Looks* like it's working...

Yes it does. You will need to ensure Include images in Plucker channel is checked and select a color depth of thousands of colors. You will need to ensure you have the limits set to 3 to include the pictures and any links you want and if you want the hints to be on the same page, otherwise, set your limits to 4.

==edited==

LOL Embra beat me to it.

By the way... if you load to your SD Card, then memory is no longer an issue. You will need to place the Plucker application file there though to be able to effectively read it without answering all kinds of prompts to overwrite the files.

Edited by TotemLake

Thank you...I sure appreciate your help! I had already done the things you mentioned....still no images. When I look in the "cache" file the images are in a zipped folder. I unzipped them and still no luck. Could it be in the setting on GSAK? I prefer GSAK to Spinner only so I can load different queries to cover the state and GSAK will merge any duplicate files. From what I understand Spinner won't do that, or am I wrong?

I noticed the same thing with GSAK and the zipped image files. I think I unzipped them into the same folder as the HTML files and it worked. I can't remember.

Also I formatted my laptop harddrive and reinstalled everything and now I can't get Plucker/Hot Sync to work for my Clie Palm. Plucker runs ok but the hot sync doesn't transfer the file and the log says something about Plucker desktop disabled.

Anyone have that problem?

Thanks,

Bobby

Thank you...I sure appreciate your help! I had already done the things you mentioned....still no images. When I look in the "cache" file the images are in a zipped folder. I unzipped them and still no luck. Could it be in the setting on GSAK? I prefer GSAK to Spinner only so I can load different queries to cover the state and GSAK will merge any duplicate files. From what I understand Spinner won't do that, or am I wrong?

Let's see if the problem is in the GSAk settings or the Plucker settings...

Assuming you are exporting html files in GSAK: disable creation of zip file (unless you want that for some reason). Enable "Show HTML index when finished." Do you see the images you want when navigating from the displayed index page to a sample cache page? If so, GSAK is giving the output you want.

Plucker settings:

1) Make sure that it starts with the right file (on mine the local file setting is "file://D:\GSAK\Cache\index.htm"

2) Spidering breadth first (other default settings on this page can probably remain)

3) Maximum depth of 4 (I am not putting hints on same page in GSAK); make sure Stay on Host filter is set to ignore links to server different from starting page's server

4) Images set to include images

Defaults for most of the rest of the stuff should be fine; let's see how that works before we wrestle with further detail.

Also I formatted my laptop harddrive and reinstalled everything and now I can't get Plucker/Hot Sync to work for my Clie Palm. Plucker runs ok but the hot sync doesn't transfer the file and the log says something about Plucker desktop disabled.

Anyone have that problem?

I'd start re-running the setup wizrd on the options menu. Then check your channel congfiguration's destination tab to see if the destination looks right.

If that doesn't do it, I would try uninstalling and then reinstalling Plucker from scratch.

Thank you oh, thank you!!!!! It works beautifully now! I think when I finally get the hang of it all, I am going to post a 1-2-3 How To. I think only someone who knows nothing about technology can understand how frustrating this can all be! Thank goodness for the forums!

The thing to remember about Plucker is that it's open-source freeware, and written by programmers for computer-literate users. It's not fool-proof, nor even easy to use. It would be hard to sell commercially, because it's not simple, ready to go out of the box. The user has to invest some effort in learning to use it. OTOH, it works very well when you do figure it out, and it's free. The great thing about GSAK is that it's easy to use as well as free, and does so much so well. Now, if we could only convince Clyde to run Plucker 'under the hood' and produce Plucker files directly, life would be wonderful. :D But then he would probably have to buy a Palm, and learn to tweak Plucker, before he even started that coding. I'm willing to run Plucker myself, especially since I use it for lots of other stuff anyway - its main reason for being is to pluck web pages to put on the Palm, as well as text files, and I use it for my main ebook reader. I also use PDAConverter to convert .pdf files to html, then run Plucker on them, to view pdf files on my Palm. I'm amazed so much stuff works between the different platforms.