Great Geocache Family Vacations

jenhaupt

Hello-

I'm new to this forum, although I've been geocaching with my two boys (9 and 11) for the past two years -- we're hooked! I'm researching a story for a national parenting or women's magazine (not sure which one yet - I contribute to several) about family geocache vacations. If you incorporated geocaching into a vacation (summer preferably) and have children under age 15, please drop me a line.

Thanks!

-Jennifer Haupt

jenhaupt@attbi.com

We just returned from our first geocaching roadtrip and we had a blast. We're planning on doing it for a longer period over Spring Break. It's always summer here in Florida.

Check out

this thread for more info I requested from other cachers.

quote:
Originally posted by jenhaupt:

Hello-

I'm new to this forum, although I've been geocaching with my two boys (9 and 11) for the past two years -- we're hooked! I'm researching a story for a national parenting or women's magazine (not sure which one yet - I contribute to several) about family geocache vacations. If you incorporated geocaching into a vacation (summer preferably) and have children under age 15, please drop me a line.

Thanks!

-Jennifer Haupt

jenhaupt@attbi.com

On a recent canoe trip with our scout troop I researched a cache on our canoe route, and used it to introduce a number of the boys to geocaching.

Would that be similar enough to including geocaching in a vacation?

We are also planning a vacation in Washington, D.C., in a couple of weeks, and I plan to use some of the virtuals to make the museums and monuments more interesting for my son. Is that more like what you are looking for?

Always happy to help...

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Yes,,, it is a great way to get away. Last fall,

over Thanksgiving Team Madapple went on a short

vacation where all we did was relax and Geocache,

it was one of the best times we have had as a

family vacation. Just plan things out before you

leave and have fun!!!!

Exploring the world,,,one Cache at a time !!!!!

Its a great way to find interesting and out of the way places, stuff you won't always find in a guide book. On a trip to CA last summer, we spent most of our time geocaching and saw places that, as tourists we, would never have found. A beautiful sand bar on the American River where we watched a fox play as we had a picnic (couldn't find the cache in that case tho), a great bike path, interesting historic sites,

you name it.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater