Compose The World's Worst-possible Logbook Entry

This is the lamest cache log we've ever left. And boy did the cache deserve it. :D

The worst online entry we've gotten on any of our caches was from a group of people who couldn't find one of them (mind you, it was rated a 4, and only about a third of those who have looked for it have managed to find it). I'm paraphrasing, but they basically read like this:

"I can't believe you'd place a cache here. It's a total flippin' needle in a haystack. We knew EXACTLY what we were looking for--we even called another cacher who had found this one before--and STILL couldn't find it. We wasted 45 minutes on this sucker. We're NEVER going back to do this again. This cache sucks. You suck. Your children suck. We've never met your mom, but we're sure she sucks too." :D

Turns out that their "lifeline" was thinking of a different cache so they spent nearly an hour looking for the wrong thing. Oy. :o

I just started Geocaching on 01-01 2004. Early in my small Geocache career, I took on an extremely difficult cache on one of the coldest days of the year. It must have been at least a mile if not more down a mountain ravine. The only clue was about 0.2 miles from the cache. No one had been there all winter, so no tracks and I didn't know if I was to look under a rock or wood. Snow everywhere. (I had my entrenching tool with me!)

When I found it, I wrote in the log:

DIRTY TRICK !!!

I did say something much nicer and word-ier when I got to my warm home and logged on.

my personal peeve is the ones who make 7 out of 15 today -or worse yet!- what number total it is for them out to be an interesting log entry. nobody who placed those caches cares. nobody but you cares. what people want to read about is antything interesting that happened in the course of your visit.

i found a buncha caches on saturday with three other people and we all did our best to make interesting entries for the cache placers to read, as well as other travellers. i actually read people's logs, and i appreciate it when they make an effort to say something interesting. this does not mean they have to be a literary genius; i take it as read that some people aren't very clever with words, but anyone who's capable of finding a cache is capable of more than "nice hide. thanks."

and by the way, if i've left a tnlnsl, you'll think twice about putting this one one your must see list.

I use the "4 of 6" statements only if I am caching in a particular park or on a hiking trail. I think in this instance it is useful information not for the original hider but for other potential finders to realize that there are multiple caches to find in the trail or park where this one is placed. It is an easy way to encourage others to research and find all the caches located along that hiking trail or park, and the original hiders can get more finders. Not all cachers do the full homework when they set out for caches and can miss opportunities.

As for the general "4 of 6" statements, I could see that being pointless and uninteresting reading to the original hider if they do not write anything else.