Should A Physical Cache Trump A Virtual?

WH

There is a problem for me with virtuals. There are several things about caching that I really enjoy. Virtuals loose some of them.

1. The hunt is most of the enjoyment. The hunt for some container cleverly hidden. I don't get much out of looking for the 4th word on some sign, unless it's part of a puzzle cache.

2. The next is reading the logs as written at the time of those that came before me. Sometimes there's a gem in there that's not on the web site, like a noncacher finding it.

3. I often enjoy the trade. I have several items that remind me of the fun had hunting and collecting each of them. We don't always trade, but when we find something special that's a treat.

4. I enjoy leaving my signature item. It seems to be somewhat in demand and I get a lot of pleasure out of nice comments when a cacher finds and collects my sig item.

With virtuals I miss all the above. :DSo my vote is for actual container caches when ever possible. :P I've never gone after a virtual and probably won't. (My stats show two virtuals, those became virtuals after we found them). :D

At this point 2 of my top 10 finds are DNFs. If the coolness factor of the location is high enough, the trip is definately worth it. It doesn't matter if there's an ammo box at the end for me.

Had either of those caches been virtuals I would have enjoyed them just as much. If a physical cache had bumped them off the site, it would have been a loss.

And in a toss up between lame virtual and lame physical, I'll take the lame virtual any day. At least in the case of the lame virtual I don't have to replace someone else's soaked logbook and pens or repair their damaged cache or post less than enjoyable coments on the cache page indicating that there are some serious problems with the cache.

Granted, I'd rather place a cache than a virtual but that's my style and I don't want to force my style on anyone else. If someone can place a cool virtual somehwere that makes the trip worthwhile, then more power to them.

I would hate to have a lame physical push out a perfectly fun virtual.

And experience is the key.

There's the rub.

Then if Virtuals do harm why do these caches co-exist and the land managers from two different agencies haven't even said squat.

Didn't say they can't co-exist. I said if we give the perception that virts are every bit as good as physicals, then a land manger who someone is trying to convince to allow a cache can point to virts as a good solution. For most people, it isn't.

If you're wanting to point to examples then simply look at National Parks and WFRs. Physicals aren't allowed. The prohibition in NPs came about from a misunderstanding. Now it would take a Herculean effort to get them back in.