Finding GPS Coordinates by Address

Guest cavenagh

Guest cavenagh

Is anyone aware of a website through which users may enter an address or specific location and receive GPS coordinates? I was hoping MapQuest or one of the other mapping services would provide a grid or coordinates when a location is mapped, but they do not. I am grateful for any help offered.

------------------

Tom Cavenagh

Guest jeremy

Mapquest sucks and is very GPS unfriendly. Always use Mapblast.

And no, they don't pay me to say that icon_wink.gif

But, keep in mind that the gps coordinates you get are sort of shoddy. We tried to meet at a restaurant using the coordinates and it ended up pointing to a vacant lot. Maps update *much* slower than progress.

Jeremy

Guest jeremy

Mapquest sucks and is very GPS unfriendly. Always use Mapblast.

And no, they don't pay me to say that icon_wink.gif

But, keep in mind that the gps coordinates you get are sort of shoddy. We tried to meet at a restaurant using the coordinates and it ended up pointing to a vacant lot. Maps update *much* slower than progress.

Jeremy

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

How true. I find that MapBlast does a pretty handy job with intersections though. I just wish their amazingly fantastic LineDrive summary thingies would allow you to either have the GPS coordinates displayed on the page or let you click the intersection dots to get coords or maps! (I've already suggested this to them, but it can't hurt to have 30,000 geocaching MapBlast! fans all suggesting the same thing, now, can it?)

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

I just wish {they would} let you click the intersection dots to get coords or maps!

It does. Below the map, chose "On Click" to be "Both" icon and map, and the refreshed map will give you the coordinates of where you clicked. Click on an intersection, get the coordinates!

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

It does. Below the map, chose "On Click" to be "Both" icon and map, and the refreshed map will give you the coordinates of where you clicked. Click on an intersection, get the coordinates!

Ah, you misunderstand me. Getting coordinates from their maps is indeed that easy (I've been doing that since before I was jacked into the GPS signals icon_smile.gif). What I'd really like is to be able to click the intersections in the MapBlast! LineDrive directions pages (like http://www.mapblast.com/myblast/linedrive.mb?&IC_1=30.447400:-91.133400:8:Baton+Rouge,+LA++70806&AD4_1=US&phone_1=&CT_1=30.447400:-91.133400:40000&GAD1_1=&GAD2_1=&GAD3_1=Baton+R ouge,+LA++70806&GAD4_1=&IC_2=43.756100:-87.986000:8:Plymouth,+WI++53073&AD4_2=US&phone_2=&CT_2=43.756100:-87.986000:40000&GAD1_2=&GAD2_2=&GAD3_2=Plymouth,+WI++53073&GAD4_2=&formnum =2&multiIC=30.447400:-91.133400:8:Baton+Rouge,+LA++70806:43.756100:-87.986000:8:Plymouth,+WI++53073&BEE=1). Does that make it clearer what we all need to ask them for? Wouldn't it be great? (Anyway, I didn't miss anything; it's really not there yet, is it?)

Sorry about not just making a link, but apparently UBB's [url=] regex isn't up to the task of a URL that complex... I even tried escaping parts of it, but hey, you people can cut and paste, I'm sure. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 03 August 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

quote:

Ah, you misunderstand me. Getting coordinates from their maps is indeed that easy (I've been doing that since before I was jacked into the GPS signals icon_smile.gif). What I'd really like is to be able to click the intersections in the MapBlast! LineDrive directions pages (like http://www.mapblast.com/myblast/linedrive.mb?&IC_1=30.447400:-91.133400:8:Baton+Rouge,+LA++70806&AD4_1=US&phone_1=&CT_1=30.447400:-91.133400:40000&GAD1_1=&GAD2_1=&GAD3_1=Baton+R ouge,+LA++70806&GAD4_1=&IC_2=43.756100:-87.986000:8:Plymouth,+WI++53073&AD4_2=US&phone_2=&CT_2=43.756100:-87.986000:40000&GAD1_2=&GAD2_2=&GAD3_2=Plymouth,+WI++53073&GAD4_2=&formnum =2&multiIC=30.447400:-91.133400:8:Baton+Rouge,+LA++70806:43.756100:-87.986000:8:Plymouth,+WI++53073&BEE=1). Does that make it clearer what we all need to ask them for? Wouldn't it be great? (Anyway, I didn't miss anything; it's really not there yet, is it?)

Sorry about not just making a link, but apparently UBB's [url=] regex isn't up to the task of a URL that complex... I even tried escaping parts of it, but hey, you people can cut and paste, I'm sure. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 03 August 2001).]

Guest Markwell

Ah - I see. But I look at those Line Drive graphics like a static graphic, just as if I went to "Print" the graphic, which I usually just download as a GIF anyway. I can't alter those graphics without going back to the main page.

It may be tedious, but I don't see too many problems with making notes about the intersections and zooming in the main maps.

What I'd rather see is what MapQuest does - where you can name a town and and intersection and have it map it for you. e.g. I want to go to Adams and Michigan in Chicago. Boom - there's the map.

Guest arffer

Clayjar,

I've been evaluating Topografix's ExpertGPS (www.expertgps.com). These are the folks that make the free EasyGPS waypoint management program Jeremy supports.

ANyway, this program has an interesting feature that might help you. If you use MapBlast to get directions between point A and point B, and have it display the Step-by-Step driving instructions, and then use IE or Netscape to save the resulting web page as an html document to your hard drive, ExpertGPS can then Import that html file, analyse it, and produce your route waypoints to upload to your GPS.

Guest ClayJar

quote:

It may be tedious, but I don't see too many problems with making notes about the intersections and zooming in the main maps.

Yeah, it works (that's how I've always done it), but it can take a couple hours to plan a complex, multiple stop, mostly back roads (some even gravel) route. It would be so wonderful if there were an "Include coordinates" checkbox. (Suggest it! Now! Go! icon_smile.gif)

Guest ClayJar

quote:

Yeah, it works (that's how I've always done it), but it can take a couple hours to plan a complex, multiple stop, mostly back roads (some even gravel) route. It would be so wonderful if there were an "Include coordinates" checkbox. (Suggest it! Now! Go! icon_smile.gif)