Using The Garmin Ique 3600

dirtydix

I'm trying to get stared with geocaching. I have a new Garmin iQue 3600 and I'm trying to download a .loc file using easyGPS, but there's no iQue3600 listed under the Garmin GPS models. Is there better software that I could use? Has anyone solved this problem before? What do you think of the iQue as a geocaching unit? Too many questions?

EasyGPS & ExpertGPS use the serial port to transfer to the GPS. The iQue works through the USB port. So the two won't talk to each other. I use Cachemate with my iQue, which supports exporting the waypoints to the iQue's address book for display on the map. Very nifty program. You have to use the utility CMConvert included with it to get things in the proper Palm format. If you use the gpx downloads from geocaching.com, Cachemate will include information about the cache, such as description, decrypting the hints, past logs, etc. Definitely worth your consideration, but it does cost $7.

EasyGPS & ExpertGPS use the serial port to transfer to the GPS

Yes true, but ExpertGPS also allows you to export a file into a format your GPS can (probably, not sure of the iQue's format) handle. Then if your USB interface allows you to drag'n drop the file to the memory card you will be fine :)

That's what I needed to do to get waypoints transferred to my iFinder Pro MMC card. I don't have a direct data cable for it, but do have an exteral USB card reader that allows me to treat the memory card as a removable harddrive. And the transfer rate ROCKS! :)