Feedback on "Cache Kit"

Guest jeremy

Guest jeremy

Folks,

I've been working with a company to put together a possible "cache kit" for folks who want to get the starting items for a cache. Here's what the prototype contains.

Cache Box: 14"x7.5"x9" hard plastic, tongue & groove constructions, water-resistant sealing ring, camo print, carrying handle, and large easy to open lockable latch, customized for geocaching. $12.95 each.

"Rite in the Rain" Logbook: Customized with 6 entries per page, printed on all-weather paper that will not get soggy when wet, 4 5/8"x7", logo on front cover, and helpful tips on back cover. $6.85 each.

All-Weather Pen: Writes underwater, upside down or in freezing weather, pressurized cartridge does not leak or dry out for 100 years. $6.95 each.

Sold separately for $26.75 or buy the Cache Kit for $22.75.

closed_box.jpgopen_box.jpg

How's the cost work? Would you rather purchase the log book separately than the rest of it? Let me know what you think.

Jeremy

Guest Markwell

Very nice, but a little pricy. Personally, I'd use it for one of those "once in a lifetime" caches that I really was sure wouldn't be plundered or taken by a ranger. Otherwise, I still like the creative containers of home origin.

How would something like this stand up to extreme temperatures. We seem to have both here in Chicago (heat index today is 105°F+ and temps have been known to get below -15°F)

Guest arffer

Does the Rite in the Rain logbook also work against drool? Cause after looking at your post, that's what I'm doing.

Yes, the kit is a great idea. I have no problems with any of the pricing either, I'll buy.

But I would plead that the kit be offered ala carte also. While I might not always use your container, I would always use the log book and pen, so I need more of those than the full kit.

Also, I love the notice on the side of the container. Is that painted on, or a sticker/decale? If its a sticker/decale, PLEASE offer it seperatly also. Again, even if I didn't use your container sometimes, I would always use the sticker.

Thanks for your continued ideas and improvements!

Guest ALacy

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

Does the Rite in the Rain logbook also work against drool? Cause after looking at your post, that's what I'm doing.

Yes, the kit is a great idea. I have no problems with any of the pricing either, I'll buy.

But I would plead that the kit be offered ala carte also. While I might not always use your container, I would always use the log book and pen, so I need more of those than the full kit.

Also, I love the notice on the side of the container. Is that painted on, or a sticker/decale? If its a sticker/decale, PLEASE offer it seperatly also. Again, even if I didn't use your container sometimes, I would always use the sticker.

I agree that I would want the log book and sticker/decale for my own caches, and the price of the log book is fine.

Guest ClayJar

You know, I have far fewer problems with rain while writing in cache logs than I have with sweat drenched arms getting them damp. If the "Rite in the Rain" books also work well when attacked by salt water, I might be up for some of them.

Guest Team JackQuest

I like it. The cost is comparable and fair but probably close to the upper threshold of what I might spend. I have been using and love the "rite in the rain" products. Although, I chose a smaller log book. I also have had a problem with all weather pens "blobbing" ink as you write. Could just be me, left handed you know! icon_smile.gif

I would also vote that the items be available individually and that the sticker/decal be developed into an item.

All in all a very good and sharp looking package at a fair price. Nice work.

------------------

TEAM JackQuest

Jack & Cyber

www.jackquest.com

Base Camp N 40° 20.268' W 75° 37.969' (WGS84)

Guest Team JackQuest

I like it. The cost is comparable and fair but probably close to the upper threshold of what I might spend. I have been using and love the "rite in the rain" products. Although, I chose a smaller log book. I also have had a problem with all weather pens "blobbing" ink as you write. Could just be me, left handed you know! icon_smile.gif

I would also vote that the items be available individually and that the sticker/decal be developed into an item.

All in all a very good and sharp looking package at a fair price. Nice work.

------------------

TEAM JackQuest

Jack & Cyber

www.jackquest.com

Base Camp N 40° 20.268' W 75° 37.969' (WGS84)

Guest Campeon1981

Right on... i too would like the sticker sold seperately for all sorts of things. The Rite-Rain logs are well priced, but IMHO the container is pricey.

Thanks Jeremy icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Campeon1981

Right on... i too would like the sticker sold seperately for all sorts of things. The Rite-Rain logs are well priced, but IMHO the container is pricey.

Thanks Jeremy icon_biggrin.gif

Guest BryanG

They look Nice...

However, part of the appeal of hiding my own Cache, is the building of the Cache itself. Although the waterproof paper and ink are brilliant ideas!

Sticke is great, but really makes it stand out like a sore thumb. Tought to hide White, Red, Blue, Yellow, etc. in a forest ;-)

Could you develop a sticker that would have the logo in muted colors... Kind of like Low Vis Marking the Military uses for Airctarft? That way when holdint the container it is plain as day that it has a logo on it, but that logo will not grab your attention from 100 meters ;-)

Just my 2 cents ;-)

Guest k2dave

Love the box - wish I had one, maybe i'll get one. May be too pricy when shipping charges apply. BUT... I have to agree w/ the above post - NO BRIGHT COLORS (at least not on any of my caches). How 'bout a camo colored logo (brown, dark green, black). Also if they are stickers, try to get them on something that when it starts to deteroate it doesn't show white underneath (or floresent orange either icon_wink.gif )

Water resistant log book is a great idea - as for a pen, I have one in my 'geocaching kit' and I expect others carry them too.

I consider my geocaching kit (and I thought this was what the topic was about) is the items I bring when searching for a geocache (gps/ batts, bug be gone, ivy block, etc.)

Guest k2dave

Love the box - wish I had one, maybe i'll get one. May be too pricy when shipping charges apply. BUT... I have to agree w/ the above post - NO BRIGHT COLORS (at least not on any of my caches). How 'bout a camo colored logo (brown, dark green, black). Also if they are stickers, try to get them on something that when it starts to deteroate it doesn't show white underneath (or floresent orange either icon_wink.gif )

Water resistant log book is a great idea - as for a pen, I have one in my 'geocaching kit' and I expect others carry them too.

I consider my geocaching kit (and I thought this was what the topic was about) is the items I bring when searching for a geocache (gps/ batts, bug be gone, ivy block, etc.)

Guest jeremy

- bump -

What would you want the container to say? The logbook can also be customized inside so it has a "you found it" message and other things. They gave me an example pad with the "leave no trace" principles on the back cover, for example.

Jeremy

Guest navdog

Those kits look great Jeremy and although some folks may feel they are spendy, It is worth the money to know your cache will stay secure by using a box like that.

In view of the situation that Bunkerdave is dealing with and his upcoming proposal to the BLM, is it possible to have the same type of container but a smaller version of it?

I have bought several ammo cans (metal) that are only 3" wide. I wonder if they make plastic ones like your prototype in that size? I like the idea of keeping a cache as small as possible.

[This message has been edited by navdog (edited 06 August 2001).]

[This message has been edited by navdog (edited 06 August 2001).]

Guest cache_ninja

i can't afford that thing. its pretty nice though. hehe, as ive been saying all along(see previous threads that go way back) , stickers! the people want stickers! for the caches..make a space on the sticker for the cache name and coordinates and you will sell many many, people will put them on all their caches(maybe on the bottom if they are so bright etc)..

c/n

Guest adventuretom

I use Rite in the rain notebooks in all my caches. I like the smaller shirt pocket one, because of the size when placing in a cache. I use the larger log book to carry with me for taking notes on multicaches. It really makes a difference when you are dripping sweat all over it. I carry one of the Fisher Space Pens, but to tell you the truth, I think a pencil works better. The space pen may write upside down and in the rain, but it still acts like an ink pen and leaves ink blobs on the paper. I have no problems with the pencil. The decal is nice, could you make the background something other than bright white? I do like the cache kit though, just making a few personal observations.

Guest Robereno

I actually like the box a lot and the price seems reasonable. I recently had to pay 13.85 for a 50 cal ammo box at my local surplus store. I know that?s way too much but they only had new ones and I needed it that weekend. Sign me up for at least one.

[Cache Box: 14"x7.5"x9" hard plastic, tongue & groove constructions, water-resistant sealing ring, camo print, carrying handle, and large easy to open lockable latch, customized for geocaching. $12.95 each.]

Guest tnunnery

Looks pretty slick! New folks might find this to be a good starting point. I agree that a more subdued color scheme might be better for woodland terrain. Maybe a different camo pattern for woodland, desert and urban caches? icon_wink.gif

geocamo.jpg

Guest tnunnery

Looks pretty slick! New folks might find this to be a good starting point. I agree that a more subdued color scheme might be better for woodland terrain. Maybe a different camo pattern for woodland, desert and urban caches? icon_wink.gif

geocamo.jpg

Guest Campeon1981

I want a whole lotta those!! Goes great with all my mil-gear...

I think others already share the same opinion as I that if stickers would be sold seperately, they'd be going by the truckloads!! I want at least 10.

Regular and Extra Camo recipes icon_biggrin.gif

P.S.- Logged first find today

Guest Campeon1981

I want a whole lotta those!! Goes great with all my mil-gear...

I think others already share the same opinion as I that if stickers would be sold seperately, they'd be going by the truckloads!! I want at least 10.

Regular and Extra Camo recipes icon_biggrin.gif

P.S.- Logged first find today

Guest jc364

Jeremy,

The box is great!! The log book and pen is pricey though. I do have one other concern however. Would it be possible to have the box made of clear plastic? It gives everyone a ease of mind before opening.

Guest adventuretom

>>Zip - bags work fine for logbooks.

Yeah, but writing through the plastic is Tough icon_wink.gif And since I tend to sweat all over them, that would be the only option.

[This message has been edited by adventuretom (edited 08 August 2001).]

Guest adventuretom

>>Zip - bags work fine for logbooks.

Yeah, but writing through the plastic is Tough icon_wink.gif And since I tend to sweat all over them, that would be the only option.

[This message has been edited by adventuretom (edited 08 August 2001).]

Guest Lou C

Jeremy -

I really like your ideas. I tend to be kind of a do-it-yourself kind of guy, but I would absolutely go full force for the stickers! I tend to like the ammo boxes since they are meant to withstand some abuse and are relatively inexpensive. They are kind of heavy, but who's going to be carrying them around?

Emphasizing again, the cammo logo for a sticker is AWESOME (good job tnunnery or whoever modified the color scheme). I think the box might be a little conspicuous with the original logo, so I vote cammo. I once found a cache that was in an ammo can but for some reason it was covered with a white plastic bag - no problem seeing it over a hundred feet away.

We want stickers! "If you build them, they will order." Some good thoughts here folks!

Lou

Guest tnunnery

I'm glad everyone seems to like the camo logo. It is amazing what 10 minutes and a copy of PhotoShop can produce. I'll let you know when the urban camo pattern is complete. icon_wink.gif Since the original logo isn't mine, I was wondering if modifications to it are ok.

I was going to make a color-separated stencil but the sticker idea seems much easier and flexible.

Guest tnunnery

I'm glad everyone seems to like the camo logo. It is amazing what 10 minutes and a copy of PhotoShop can produce. I'll let you know when the urban camo pattern is complete. icon_wink.gif Since the original logo isn't mine, I was wondering if modifications to it are ok.

I was going to make a color-separated stencil but the sticker idea seems much easier and flexible.

Guest averk

If it doesn't offend any ego's tongue.gif or copyrights eek.gif , I'd be more than happy to followup on the stickers and have them priced etc.

Should there also be room for the name and coords of the cache as well?

[This message has been edited by averk (edited 09 August 2001).]

Guest celts

Sorry Jeremy, but I think the price is prohibitive--even for the container alone. It's certainly attractive and functional, but I personally won't buy one.

quote:
Originally posted by BryanG:

I agree with BRYAN G that the sticker seems to "standout" and may be an easy invitation for the non-Geocacher to want a peek!

Sticke is great, but really makes it stand out like a sore thumb. Tought to hide White, Red, Blue, Yellow, etc. in a forest ;-)

Could you develop a sticker that would have the logo in muted colors... Kind of like Low Vis Marking the Military uses for Airctarft? That way when holdint the container it is plain as day that it has a logo on it, but that logo will not grab your attention from 100 meters ;-)

Just my 2 cents ;-)[/b]

Guest bdixson

jermey,

I think you've got something going with the stickers. Personnaly, the cost for the cache kit dosen't seem out of line to me, the box looks like high quality and would be water proof. Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by tnunnery:

geocamo.jpg

I'll cast my vote for this one! I like the idea of camo and the fact that it contains no branding or logo.

------------------

dwr50

"Full-Time RV'ers can REALLY cachin"

quote:
Originally posted by tnunnery:

geocamo.jpg

I'll cast my vote for this one! I like the idea of camo and the fact that it contains no branding or logo.

------------------

dwr50

"Full-Time RV'ers can REALLY cachin"

Guest Baudzilla

Oops, my apologies to everyone on modems... I should have checked the exported file size in my previous post. :0

BTW - I love the idea of a ready-to-go cache kit. Great for newcomers. It looks sharp!

Guest spiny norman

How about putting the "Cache in - Trash out" logo on rolls of trash bags that would fit in a cache. Serve as a reminder to the Cache hunters and good PR for the sport.

Guest DrunkenBard

For those concerned about Rite-in-the-Rain products holdin up in extreme heat and humidity, I got their opinions and experimented with some samples to see if they'd survive a leaky cache taking on water, then steaming the paper in 105F Texas heat.

It wrinkled a bit, like a paperback book that's gotten damp, but was still perfectly readable, and strong enough not to tear while I was writing on it with a pencil, even when held underwater in the sink.

Not sure about the all weather pen, as I tend to look for the tried and true solutions for things like this, but I may go ahead and order that sampler kit just to try it out.