help on coordinates

Guest Exaibachey

Guest Exaibachey

I am new to this and think I know the answer, but berfoe I do something stoopid, I figure it's better to ask than to miss finding a cache.

The example I am using is from GC29D, San Juan Hill in California. The coordinates are N 33* 54.812 W 117* 44.28

My question is about the W 44.28. My Garmnin GPS 12XL has a space for a third number entry. I am assuming the third space should just be intered as a 0

as in W 117* 44.280.

Thank you in advance for your help.

And, laughing, where is the degree key?? LOL

Brad

------------------

I used to think the world was flat. Now I know it's just crooked.

Guest cascade

Is there some way to check the calibration on your receiver? Maybe a website that lists the coord's for known locations or addresses?

[This message has been edited by cascade (edited 03-06-2001).]

Guest Mike_Teague

If your unit is computing a fix, it is good to go...

If you must test it, I guess you could go to a USGS monument that is also a GPS-verified site, and try to confirm it there... Make sure you are outputting the datum they surveyed it in though!

Guest MbassadorK

I just got my GPS unit (a Magellan GPS Companion for my Handspring Visor) and put a few of the southern California caches into my Visor.

My question is: several lines down in each description it says "Use Waypoint: _____" - what does this mean? is there some kind of universal naming scheme for waypoints that I'm not aware of? my GPS software will let me enter lat, long and alt, and set them as a waypoint, but I don't see anything for selecting a waypoint by any kind of name, such as GC29D.

Did that make sense? Am I just dense?

Thanks!

Guest bob_renner

GC29D Waypoint name devised by Jeremy.

GC = GeoCache

29D up to 4 digit hex number allowing

up to 64K different waypoint names

Assigned in a sequential manner.

Bob Renner

Guest MbassadorK

Got it! Thanks!!

So the assigning of this waypoint is sorta arbitrary and kind of related to the name of the cache - "internal" naming for the GeoCaching site sorta...

Thanks again!

Guest Paul Lamble

Okay, I'm slow. Please help me understand.

So the waypoint listed at the top of a cache page (GC29D in this example) is NOT applicable outside of this website? It is not something I can load in my GPS? Does it not have any relation to a location on the planet?

How does this value help me? Why is it assigned? Can I search this site using it? Does it accrue to my "account" when I report a find? Or does it accrue to my account when I hide and report a cache?

Your patience and insight are appreciated.

Many GPS's, Garmin mostly are limited to only six letter with which to name a waypoint. Jeremy did the GC#### naming idea as a way to give each cache a unique name on the website. That way as you load the waypoint into you GPS you have unique way to name them that will allow you to reference them on the web sight. It is merely a GPS friendly naming convention to give each cache a unique name.

mcb

Guest RyckZ

quote:
Originally posted by MbassadorK:

......and kind of related to the name of the cache - "internal" naming for the GeoCaching site sorta...

From what I can see, the HEX number part of the Waypoint name when converted to a DECimal is the ID= number that you see as the last part of the URL address of the detail page for any cache. Never realized that until I read this thread and made the correlation.

Guest Moss Trooper

Hi fellow Geowhatsits.

Could we also agree on a format for the lat/long coords.

I know we have them in Degrees and WGS84 but there are a few ways of presenting the lat and long.. i.e.

Degrees only as in 49.5°

Degrees and Minutes 49°30.5'

and finaly 49° 30' 30"

The reason I ask is that one cache on the UK site is in Degrees only and I (duh!) put it in as degrees and minutes. Luckily I wasn't on a hunt, just stooging with coords and Autoroute. The cache was 20 mile SE of the location I had. Luckily the webpage had the OS Grid for the cach as well.

I personally prefer degrees and minuets.

BY the way. the ° was snipped outa word icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Moss Trooper

Hi fellow Geowhatsits.

Could we also agree on a format for the lat/long coords.

I know we have them in Degrees and WGS84 but there are a few ways of presenting the lat and long.. i.e.

Degrees only as in 49.5°

Degrees and Minutes 49°30.5'

and finaly 49° 30' 30"

The reason I ask is that one cache on the UK site is in Degrees only and I (duh!) put it in as degrees and minutes. Luckily I wasn't on a hunt, just stooging with coords and Autoroute. The cache was 20 mile SE of the location I had. Luckily the webpage had the OS Grid for the cach as well.

I personally prefer degrees and minuets.

BY the way. the ° was snipped outa word icon_biggrin.gif