Serial to USB cable for Laptop use

Guest bwware

Guest bwware

I have a laptop with no serial connection on it. I want to use a serial to USB cable in order to hook my GPS 315 up to it. has anyone done this? have any problems? Do i need to do some special configuration? Thanks in advance!

Bill

Guest MountainDiver

My laptop also has no serial port. I use a USB to Serial adapter with my eTrex and it works fine. Nothing special needed.

The USB to Serial adapter software creates a "virtual" serial port. Just set up your GPS software to access that serial port and it should work fine. In fact, I have found that data transfers faster than using the real serial port on my desktop.

------------------

The MountainDiver

N 34 01.649

W084 27.211

"GPS satellites are nice because they can answer two of the three most common questions in my life: "What time is it?" and "Where am I?" If they could also somehow determine whether I have any clean underwear left, the bases would be covered." --- The Brunching Shuttlecocks

Guest k2dave

I havn't used a serial to usb (or usb to serial?) but have used and old scsi scanner with a scsi-usb adapter and boy does it work great. The device request the scsi drivers for the scanner and it worked - absoutly no problems (and same scanning speed). Best part is that it freed up the irq that the scsi card used.

I stated this becauce scsi is much more difficult to emulate then serial so I don't think you will have a problem.