Advanced Search Default Option

dak's Emu Mob

I regularly use the Advanced Search page to locate caches. One thing that I always do is change the search criterion to something other than "By Postal Code", usually to "By Keyword". Given that the Main Page offers the opportunity of searching for caches, based on a postal code, it seems redundant to have the option available at all on the Advanced Search page, and it certainly needn't be the default option.

How about making "By Keyword" the default option when a user first accesses the Advanced Search page?

What do others think?

Cheers,

Dave Kruger (dak)

dak's Emu Mob

Australia

I can appreciate that Zipcode search is the most popular: that's why it's on the Geocaching.com Main Page.

My point is that, given it is on the Main Page, it is redundant to have it as the default option on the Advanced Search page.

I think it's fair to assume that if someone has clicked the "Advanced Search" link, then they don't want to execute a search on Zipcode, because they could've done it on the Main Page.

I hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

Cheers,

dak

Or, they are clicking on advanced search so they can search by zipcode AND exclude hidden/found caches. I would think whatever is the most popular search type from the advanced page should be it's default. I'm guessing that's still zipcode. For what it's worth, for me personally, "by keyword" is the LEAST used search parameter.

Edited by Mopar