Photo's On Groundspeak

Radiosmith

;) You state that you change the pictures to 300pix wide and that you do not accept pictures of more than 100k. How should I size my photos with Photoshop so they do not get blurred when they are posted on your site? It seems impossible to send you a pix that is 300x400pix in size. (it is to large)

Thanks,

Using Photoshop with a image that is 300x400 pixels makes an Pixel Dimension of 352k... I can make it "smaller" however when Groundspeak takes it to a width of 300 pixels the image becomes distorted..... In order to keep the aspect ratio correct @ 300 pixels the image must be 300x400?

In photoshop or most any other program that will save JPG files. You can change the compression level before saving. Sometimes saving lots of valuable drive space and only losing a little quality.

In photoshop you can "Save for web" and you'll be able to see the effects of the compresion in real time. You should be able to get it well under 100k and still have a descent image.

Good Luck!

Ohgr

Yes, jpg files. 300x400 @ 72dpi = 352k .... if I make it smaller to get it under 100k and then they stretch it to 300dpi then the image looks bad.

You need to check your settings. I pulled a picture off of my digital camera that is 1600x1200 and it is 224KB. Resizing it to 600 pixels wide and keeping the same aspect ratio makes it 600x450 and 123KB. If I crop out unneeded background, I can make it smaller still (I crop it before resizing). My cropped picture is 449x357 and only 40KB. Plenty small enough to upload to the site.

:P You don't even need photoshop to resize your photos. If you are using WinXP, you can now take your image and save it off as a GIF or JPG using PAINT!!. That's too funny. Anyway just take your image and save it as a JPEG. Here's why.

:o BMP's are memory hogs. You can take a picture 500X500 save it off as a BMP. It will probably take up 1.2Meg or some huge number. If you take that same image, save it as a JPEG, your 1.2M picture now is a whopping 82 kB.

;) Also try and crop out the unnecessary stuff. The more uncluttered the image, the better it will look.

:D There was a trhead on this topic a while back discussing this very thing. Can't seem to think of when, but I know there are a few out there.

Edited by The_Brownies