Posting A Note Vs. A Find

KiltCacher

I recently attended my first "official" event cache, which was a bug swap. The only thing anybody actually swapped was numbers from the bugs. I've watched everyone post notes for my bugs, but what's the point if you don't get credit for a note? Why not "virtually" pick it up and drop it back where it was?

You don't even need the serial number to "write a note" on a bug's page.......and, it is counted as a "find" on your Profile Page......

Which explains the note I saw on the Bilderback travel bug I am holding. I wondered why jbhooker3 was posting a note <grin>. I did enjoy reading your profile and am looking forward to a little Tabsco on some venison chili for lunch. <_<

You don't even need the serial number to "write a note" on a bug's page.......and, it is counted as a "find" on your Profile Page......

Which explains the note I saw on the Bilderback travel bug I am holding. I wondered why jbhooker3 was posting a note <grin>. I did enjoy reading your profile and am looking forward to a little Tabsco on some venison chili for lunch. <_<

Allright....just to set the record straight..........

My original intent in posting the note was to try and let the owner know about the dangers of having the bug's serial number exposed either by their own uploaded image of the bug, or finders who have uploaded images.

Was trying to be discreet about it. My notes only say as an example: "A Virtual find....", "Please email me....", "Cool Bug....", etc. And, I was NOT doing anything malicious such as: grabbing the bug from the owner, the last finder, or the last cache placed into. Then, I noticed that I was racking up Travel Bug Finds on my "My Cache" page. Looks like Jeremy has corrected that glitch. However, those are still on my "Profile Page" as "finds".

Now, as I receive emails from the owners, and reply to them about the dangers of exposure, I find that I can now go to that log and delete it. This now is a reduction in the number of TB finds. I've also learned that the TB's Owner can simply delete the log which has the same effect on the find totals.

One more detail though, as I was experimenting with Sparky-Watts this weekend, I discovered that even as the TB Owner, I cannot just delete an image by a finder....I had to delete the entire log in order to get rid of the image. If this is done between caches, won't this effect it's mileage? Seems to me that as the "owner", I should have priveliges to modify the logs on my own Travel Bug.

That's my story.....and I'm sticking with it.

No more "virtual finds" for me......it just get's people riled up (Kitch).

Keep the cache side up.....

JayBee