Find Altitude From Lat / Long

raouljan

Does anyone know of an application that can find the altitude for a given Lat / Long?

I have tried using TOPO! since it seems to know the altitude of a given point, but when I import a list of points with the altitude nulled out the software flags it as being "unavailable" as opposed to filling it in.

Any help appreciated!

Go there and look at your GPS?

How many points are we talking about here? I don't know that you'll be able to find a reasonably-priced program to do it in bulk, so you may end up doing it by hand. Personally, for a handful of points, I'd just pull up the topos on terraserver and see what I could see.

Possibly thousands....

I am attempting to build a hydrologic gradient map from the well logs supplied to the state. The well logs provide Lat and Long, and depth to water.

To build the gradient map I need to apply the altitude of the well .. which is not supplied in the well logs.

I had though to suck the well logs into a database application, assign a waypoint and then import the list into TOPO! to get the altitude .. but that does not appear to work.

Yuck. For that, you'll probably need a good GIS application, and lots of data from USGS or some other agency. The data is free. The software, however, is generally not.

You might want to go to the USGS site and see if someone's written software to do what you need using DEM (Digital Elevation Model) files. I think they used to have links to software, but maybe they don't anymore.

Edited by parkrrrr

While poking around on the USGS site, I came across http://seamless.usgs.gov , which allows you to either download or purchase various kinds of geospatial data. Included in that data are the recent SRTM elevation maps, with a resolution of one arcsecond (about 30m north-south, east-west depends on your latitude.) If the area you're plotting isn't too large, you can even download the data for free.

The data itself is available in various formats, but GEOTIFF is probably the most useful of the bunch. If you search around on the Internet, you can find various utilities to deal with GEOTIFF files, but gluing them all together to extract a single point might be more difficult. However, if you have the budget to hire a programmer for a few hours, or if you're a programmer yourself, that might be the most cost-effective solution.