Map Software For Nz (not Necessarily For Gpsr)

collinsorienteer

Howdy,

I'm going to be spending a week or two in NZ next May, and I'm looking for recommendations for topographic and street atlas software for New Zealand. I use the Mapsource software for my Garmin Legend, and I'm aware of the work that Brent is doing, but I'm also looking for something like the National Geographic Topo! maps for the U.S. It has seamless topographic maps of each state at 1:24 000 scale. I've read that the standard topographic map scale for NZ is 1:50 000, but I don't know which software I should be looking for.

I don't really need to upload the maps to my receiver (although that would be nice).

I've read about:

NZ Mapped

TopoMap

TUMONZ

Has anyone used anything that they can recommend?

Michael

Edited by collinsorienteer

I use nzmapped (south Island only) and am very satisfied with it for geocaching/4WDing/MTBing/Tramping as I can print off maps of the areas I'm interested in visiting. But I'm afraid I couldn't justify the cost for a 2 week visit. To use nzmapped on your travels you would need to have a laptop with at least 4gigs of space to cover both islands. Much better to use your AA membership and visit the Automobile Association and get the free areas maps. They have tourist guides as well. If you want to know where all the geocaches (well most of them - the site is a little behind the times at the moment but I'm sure that will be rectified soon) then go visit http://www.nzcaches.tk/ and print out those maps before you come.

So NZMapped seems to have the most favour in a very small sampling here - I too am visitng NZ for a couple of weeks in May and had the same question as collinsonrienteer.

The prices seem to be all over the place - NZMapped seems by far the most expensive and TUMONZ by far the cheapest (just NZ$95 for the whole country at 1:50,000) but, as far as I can tell, they all seem to have much the same functionality. Can anyone provide any further insight as to why they favour one over another?

Thanks

Geofellas