Magellan Gps Pioneer???

SCdigger

Had asked my parents for a GPS for Christmas (had been eyeing the Garmin Etrax...the yellow one) and suggested that one to them...however, that is not what I got...they got me a Magellan GPS Pioneer...I don't know anything about it, as I had not researched this model...knowing my mom, she didn't spend very much either...so, my question is, would I be better served to return this one and apply the difference to another machine (which one...under $200)...I relic hunt (metal detect) in the woods, hike, camp, and would like to give Geocaching a try as well. Thanks for any help, advice or opinions.

Greg

From what I can see, the Pioneer is a member of the Magellan 300 Series, or a close relative. They are an older unit, but depending on the features, and the displayed resolution ( does it countdown in feet, meters, or tens of each?) it should be a good starter unit for you. Why not try it out first? It seems to be on a par with a yellow eTrex, and the Magellans of this type keep lock better in the forest than an eTrex does. (I have both a Magellan and an eTrex)

I bought my Pioneer about 8 years ago. It now belongs to my son. It's slow and loses signal like a Garmin, no WASS and any magnetic field throws it off but it still works. I think you should keep it for now and save your pocket change for a year and get something more up to date in the $400 range with the activities you describe you wont regret it.