Somebody Please Tell Me The Stats For Mericolor

Jerry 92RR

I returned the sportrak color and am deciding on MeriColor or something non-gps. I'm trying to find out if the mericolor has an altimeter. When I go offroad I want to know the altitude.

Can I also make a route and put it on a sd card? This gps will be used primarily on the road. AND I will get a power cord.

Jerry

If you want a Magellan unit with that feature then the one you need is the Meridian Platinum. If you want to go with a Garmin unit then it's the Vista. Neither of those have color screens tho. Or you can hold out and wait for the new Garmin 60cs, I think it's called, that is in color and has all the bells and whistles.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

All Meridians (as well as nearly any other GPSr) will give you an altitude fix from satellite triangulation, but none of the Meridians (including the Plat) have a dedicated altimeter per se. The Plat *does* have a barometer (perhaps that's what was being referenced). But the Meridians would not give you any altitude information that the SporTrack didn't give you.

You can save routes, waypoints, and tracks on the SD card. You should take a look at Magellan's DirectRoute, their new autorouting software. The maps are good, and the autorouting works pretty well. Without it you would have to create routes in another program manually and upload them to the GPSr. (You can create them with waypoints on the Meridian, but it's a PITA.)

If having jeep trails or other off-road paths on the map is important, I don't think there's much in the way of that on DirectRoute.