Oshman's

I browsed over at the Oshman's website and didn't see that model. Perhaps it's on a special sale in some hard-to-find location. If it's still available, you won't find any other brand-new units retail for so little. And I'm sure that that GPS would be just fine for simple Geocaching.

Be careful buying from them though. Some of their prices were fair, other units were priced ~way~ too high. For instance the GPSMAP76S is $399 as Oshman's, but only $309 at GPSNow.

Happy shopping,

Bob

It may have been overstocks at that particular store location. I only looked at the website. Like I said, you won't find any other brand-new units for that price anywhere - you should go for it. If you've been using a yellow eTrex all this time, I'm sure that the 310 will be just fine.

One thing to keep in mind: If you've invested in Garmin software, it won't work with a Magellan unit. But the yellow eTrex can't use the Garmin maps either... Also consider what your friends have, and will the files/maps created on their units be compatible with yours?

Something else: a friend of mine in Alb. got a great deal on a GPS at the REI scratch-and-dent sale. You have to be a member to get that mailing though, and I have no idea when that sale is.

Happy shopping down the road,

Bob, in Raton

It may have been overstocks at that particular store location. I only looked at the website. Like I said, you won't find any other brand-new units for that price anywhere - you should go for it. If you've been using a yellow eTrex all this time, I'm sure that the 310 will be just fine.

I use the Etrex Venture now, it's a step up from the yellow. I use it so much, however, the the screen is having problems and the rubber moulding is coming off.

Venture or Yellow, it doesn't have the features of the more expensive units and the 310 is in the same range. Even if you find the features lacking, for $50 it'd be a good back-up unit, or a temp until you want to upgrade.

Most of the eTrexes I've used have been the basic yellow or the Legend; the Venture is in-between.

I'm curious, how long have you had the Venture before the trouble started? Was it on the receiving end of any abuse, such as being forgotten in the New Mexico sun for an hour? What sort of screen problems?

You might consider an upgrade to a MAP76S. I ~love~ it and have had no problems at all. A lot of folks are looking forward to the new '60' Garmin units. The 310 would at least get you by until you decided. Heck, if I saw a unit at that price, I'd buy it for a backup.

Best Wishes,

Bob

That sucks. Have you tried to return it, or was the warrantee expired?

No one at work has had trouble with their eTrexes, but the nature of work isn't as hard on the units. They get stashed in a backpack, taken out for a few minutes, and returned to the packpack.

I haven't had my 76S long enough yet to see what'll happen in the summer sun - this summer I was in the mountains. Now I'm in the desert, but the conditions are mild.

Best Luck,

Bob

If it's still available I'd suggest getting the 310 and then calling Garmin to see if you can send in your Venture. Both of your problems (rubber band and display connector) are known eTrex issues so Garmin has frequently been generous with the warranty period. That way you might be able to send in your Venture and use the 310 in the meantime.