Magellan Roadmate 500 (user Review)

Alphawolf

Just though I'd do a follow-up to the quick into I did on This thread a few days ago. I spent a week with the unit, and it is going back to the store tonight. As I mentioned a few days ago, the mounting system is a joke. Using a metal bendable 'clip" to hook it into an air coditioning vent just didn't work. On my Ford F-150, I couldn't even place it in the driver's line of vision and still be able to use the gear shift lever. So, I placed it over towards the passenger side. I couldn't even see it there. And, with every turn, it swings back and forth in the vent. It has got to be replaced with a real, dash mount. Next on my list of things I discovered about it...You can't save a waypoint! You have to put in an address. So, if you want to mark a motel/hotel...you have to enter the address, not just mark it as a waypoint. What a pain. Next, is the lack of information I have come to expect from modern GPS units. You can even find your speed! No kidding! It does an overall avg. speed, but not current speed! No information like ETA or sunrise/sunset or things like that. It is really dumbed down. Obviously it wasn't intended for any kind of power users. The lack od points of inteest as compared to Garmin's was evident. I had poor success looking for things like grocery stores and such on my trip. In fact, the one time it tried to guide me to a grocery store in Barstow California, the store turned out not to be there at all! On the plus side...It has a nice large screen (too bad I couldn't get it pointed at me!) and the processor time is very quick. It plotted a route very fast as compared to my Garmin V. The mapping was accurate on the roads I traveled, with great voice prompts announcing the upcoming turns. Bottom line...It isn't even close to the capabilities of the new Garmin StreetPilot 2610 at the same price. After using both units now, for a week each one, the Garmin unit is in a class by itself for the same $1000 price tag.

Edited by Alphawolf

Alphawolf,

Call customer service and let them know that the vent mount doesn't work for you. You will get a suction cup mount sent to you free of charge. Also, you can you get your additional CF card authorized for free. I know those were two big complaints of yours, and now are taken care of.

Aaron

Call customer service and let them know that the vent mount doesn't work for you. You will get a suction cup mount sent to you free of charge. Also, you can you get your additional CF card authorized for free. I know those were two big complaints of yours, and now are taken care of.

Well, I have limited experience with suction mounts, but the ones I have tried sucked (pun intended) big time. The one I had for my old E-Map would just suddenly drop off...clunk! No warning.. I don't think I would feel safe with a $1000 dollar GPS hitting the dash. I already called them about the additional card. Problem is, if I register the second card (which you would absolutely have to do to get enough mapping) that is it. If you sell the unit some day, the new purchaser is stuck with your cards, and could not register his own memory without the $50 charge(I asked them about that very scenario). Lastly, because of the lack of points of interest and lack of information(sunrise/sunset, speeds, ETA, Moon phases, etc.) that I am used to and the glaring lack of ability to mark a waypoint that I expect from even an entry level GPS, it just isn't going to stand up against the StreetPilot from Garmin for the same money. That is why I wanted to try them both for a week...To see the real "on the road" differences between them. Now I have. And because I like to read other user's reports of new units, I felt obliged to report my own experiences.