My First Hide!!

Delaypat

Well, I'm gonna give you some anyway. Please don't take this the wrong way I'm just trying to help. You should also know that I have only been geocaching for about 6 or 7 months but I have well over 200 finds and 25 hides.

The best way to know how to put a great cache together is to find several caches first. You should look for caches that experienced geocachers have hidden. I did a quick search in your area, try JenniferK, Rent or Ron Streeter caches.

You'll also want to visit, at the very least, your local dollar store. Pick up some decent items for you cache. Pennies aren't really considered a good trade items. Also I don't know anybody with an 8 track tape player so that might not go over to well either.

You might want to give a little more info on the cache page also. Try going to this site. It will help you ad a little more detail to your page.

As far as your GPS, that should be ok for now. You might want to give a pretty good hint to help people along a bit since the accuracy will not be that great.

Check the terrain level also. You said 'Watch for the field being soppy'. I assume you mean if it's wet you kind of sink a little. If that's the case would it be possible for a wheelchair to go through the field? If not the rating should be raised to at least a 1.5 star.

Hope you take this the way it was meant. Helpful. Anyway, like you said this is a great sport. I hope you find as much enjoyment in it that I have.

Edited by JMBella
Well, I'm gonna give you some anyway. Please don't take this the wrong way I'm just trying to help. You should also know that I have only been geocaching for about 6 or 7 months but I have well over 200 finds and 25 hides.

The best way to know how to put a great cache together is to find several caches first. You should look for caches that experienced geocachers have hidden. I did a quick search in your area, try JenniferK, Rent or Ron Streeter caches.

You'll also want to visit, at the very least, your local dollar store. Pick up some decent item for you cache. Pennies aren't really considered a good trade items. Also I don't know anybody with an 8 track tape player so that might not go over to well either.

You might want to give a little more info on the cache page also. Try going to this site. It will help you ad a little more detail to your page.

As far as your GPS, that's should be ok for now. You might want to give a pretty good hint to help people along a bit since the accuracy will not be that great.

Check the terrain level also. You said 'Watch for the field being soppy'. I assume you mean if it's wet you kind of sink a little. If that's the case would it be possible for a wheelchair to go through the field? If not the rating should be raised to at least a 1.5 star.

Hope you take this the way it was meant. Helpful. Anyway, like you said this is a great sport. I hope you find as much enjoyment in it that I have.

Cool thanks for the info...I just wanted to put things in that I thought were pretty cool...I will add some other stuff!!!!! By soppy, I mean mostly at night...Park grass ya know....Anyway thanks!

Pat

I didn't realize that the Delayed Sleep was your CD. Very cool. I checked out your site.

Here are some links I use for geocaching stuff. If you really get into it you should check them out.

Ammo Cans

Also check out ebay for Stuff like this.

and this.

WheresGeorge.com

Bookcrossings.com

Hey thanks for checking out our webpage...I need to update, but right now I am more interested in Geocaching...I play with my GPS all the time now.....Thanks for all the links!!!!!

Delay

Wow! A signature item CD! :D Makes me wish I were headed up to Sacramento.

JM's comments are excellent ones. Future cachers will probably call you on the terrain rating if it's not wheelchair accessible. Include a pretty helpful hint since the coords are only out to two decimals and make sure the container is well marked as a geocache as well as including geocache instructions (the "if you find" yada yada yada page you can get on this site).

Congratulations and welcome! :D

Just as a side note, i would be stoked to find an 8-track in a cache. especially one of Pink FLoyd's great albums. I probably wouldnt ever have a chance to play it, but it's definately one of those great hard to find items that would end up in a "cool stuff" box or something. Anyways, dont take it out!

Hi Delaypat,

I was FTF on your cache this morning. I really enjoyed it. I realized it was your first hide but was surprised when I checked your profile and saw you have no finds. For someone with no experience this cache is a terrific effort.

Things that I liked:

Good location (an attractive neighborhood park); Requires a bit of a walk - closest parking that I found was about 0.2 miles away, enough for a nice stroll; Good hide - right where I would have put it; The two digit coordinates - due to the limitations of your GPSr - actually added to the fun. It was a change of pace from the usual cache where I expect to be guided to within a few feet. The cache contents (8-track, homemade CD and pennys) struck me as odd in a good way, another change of pace from the run of the mill cache. I wish I would have taken the CD! My only suggestion for improvement is to use a smaller logbook. It was kind of hard to fit the lid on squeezing down the log book. In short, good job! I hope you hide more and also join in the fun of finding.

Edited by AC Student

I am going out hunting either this weekend or sometime this week..I would like to go at night, but I don't think the river is a good place..HEH! Anyway thanks for checking out my cache..My friend matt and I had a great time hiding it, Plus we saw a realllly bright shooting star. Expect more where that came from!

Delay

Just as a side note, i would be stoked to find an 8-track in a cache. especially one of Pink FLoyd's great albums. I probably wouldnt ever have a chance to play it, but it's definately one of those great hard to find items that would end up in a "cool stuff" box or something. Anyways, dont take it out!

My first car had an 8-track player, and I still have my first home stereo in the attic that has an 8-track player! All my old 8-tracks (several old, old Floyd; Ummagumma, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother,etc.) were carried away by a tornado years ago. :D