Electricity Pylons

Well, your answer is - IT DEPENDS.

How far are you from the electrified components. What voltage and current are flowing? The Electro-Magnetic Field (EMF) may or may not be strong enough to do anything. For instance, a long distance transmission line running 345 kilo-volts (KV) at 5000 amps (A) will have a far greater EMF than a 69 KV and 1000 A.

I was inside a generator one day when the generator tripped off line (13.8 KV - 1200 A). The EMF pulse was so powerful it scrambled my PDA and totaled my watch. But under normal operation, it isn't anywhere near that bad.

I would hazard a guess as follows. You _MIGHT_ see slight problems with a magnetic compass. There are ways to compensate for it. I doubt if you will see any problem with your GPSr. Of course, YMMV and all that.

I was inside a generator one day when the generator tripped off line ...

Inside? a running generator? Or did you mean inside the generator building? I'm trying to figure out how close you were to the windings.

Well, there are a few "inside" levels. I was within 3 feet of the windings, which are inside a cylindrical containment. There is a larger cover which could be considered "the Building" over that.

Here is a neat fact for you. The "field" of a generator is the "rotor". When you think it over, it makes sense. :D

Here is a neat fact for you. The "field" of a generator is the "rotor". When you think it over, it makes sense. :D

Meaning that the windings that connect to the output terminals are stationary and it's the magnetic field that spins rather then the other way around? Yeah, I guess that would solve a few problems - like brushes big enough to carry the current.