Pdas Again - What Software Is Required?

Eric&Jaz

So I'm considering dusting off my old iPaq for use as a GPS unit - looking at the Navman GPS receiverit that moujnts onto it.

What I'm having trouble determining is how much software will I need to get in order to give this hardware combo the same feature set as your typical $150-$200 dedicated GSP unit. Am I going to end up forking over a bunch of more money to get the software for setting/navigating waypoints, mapping, compass, etc? Can most/all of it be had for free or cheap (ie, freeware/shareware)?

I'm trying to decide if it is cost-effective to go this route, or just spend the $ on a Garmin instead.

Thanks,

Eric

There is free software available. CetusGPS and cotoGPS both work well for geocaching, but I'm not sure they're available for PPC. As for mapping software, there is lots available for a PPC, but it ain't free. Mapopolis has probably the most advanced mapping software. It's free, but the maps aren't. You can get a year of unlimited downloads for $99, or you can buy individual county maps for ~$5 each. Obvious URL. There are others available - any Google search should give you lots of choices if you're using PPC.