What is the weirdest/ coolest thing anyone has found in a cache?

Guest griffiths gnat

Guest griffiths gnat

I'm just interested in knowing. What is the weirdest or coolest item you have found in a cache. I've heard stories of some really weird stuff being found in caches and was curious to hear from others. I've only found 5 and the contents were pretty much the same golf balls, trinkets and stuff. The coolest thing that I've found in a cache was a keychain that stops the user from getting a static shock.

Guest BassoonPilot

quote:
Originally posted by apersson850:

I've found an IDE hard disk drive (perhaps working, I didn't try it).

Anders

Yeah, I see lots of old computer stuff in caches. We've brought home old SIMMS and cpu's that work just fine . . . I loved the time my daughter brought home a 486DX2-66 cpu, the pins bent every-which-way and asked if I could put it on a board for her to play with. I spent a couple of hours straightening out all the pins . . . but it worked! Set up a "state of the art, 1989" (the year before she was born) system for her, complete with as much vintage software and games from that period I could dig out. (Ha! Room to spare on that "whopping" 80 meg ide drive.) She was impressed with the ... umm, simplicity of the software.

Weirdest thing I've found in the cache was an intricate voodoo doll.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Yeah, I see lots of old computer stuff in caches. We've brought home old SIMMS and cpu's that work just fine . . . I loved the time my daughter brought home a 486DX2-66 cpu,

Yeah, and you just snatched yourself another state of the art 486, huh?

Guest BassoonPilot

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Yeah, and you just snatched yourself another state of the art 486, huh?

No, no ... THAT cpu, courtesy of our friend King Pellinore, was a state of the art Pentium from '93. Haven't researched the number yet to see precisely what it is, but I hope it's a 5 volt. I could use it to heat the basement.

[This message has been edited by BassoonPilot (edited 17 February 2002).]

Guest johnnie

I'm going to put a hand made powder horn in

a cache a few weeks from now. I an't saying

where yet, but I will just log it when I do.

It was made somewhere in west Texas about 30

years ago.

Guest Robereno

Ah, Coyote Canyon, one of my favorite spots. I don?t need a Palm Pilot but if I make it to this cache, I?ll drop off my old Palm Pilot Pro. This can be the Palm recycling cache of San Diego. Now if someone would drop off one of those new fangled pocket pcs, I?ll race ya. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by gmaxis:

Over the weekend, I planted a cache containing a first generation PalmPilot (US Robotics) among other useful stuff in the Anza-Borrego Desert.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15046

Guest Robereno

Ah, Coyote Canyon, one of my favorite spots. I don?t need a Palm Pilot but if I make it to this cache, I?ll drop off my old Palm Pilot Pro. This can be the Palm recycling cache of San Diego. Now if someone would drop off one of those new fangled pocket pcs, I?ll race ya. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by gmaxis:

Over the weekend, I planted a cache containing a first generation PalmPilot (US Robotics) among other useful stuff in the Anza-Borrego Desert.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15046

quote:
Originally posted by Robereno:

Ah, Coyote Canyon, one of my favorite spots. I don?t need a Palm Pilot but if I make it to this cache, I?ll drop off my old Palm Pilot Pro. This can be the Palm recycling cache of San Diego.

Hey, that's a cool idea! "Palm Recycling cache" should be the cache alias. Now I just hope no one takes this literally and leaves behind a severed hand eek.gif

I'm planting the digital camera I found at Auf Wiedersehen in one of my future geocaching trips. Most likely hide a cache up in the mountains with the same difficulty level. San Diegans watch for it!

Guest Wesley Horton

Talking about old computer equipment that may or may not be practical. . .

I found a cache once that had a CRAY X-MP in in it (The whole thing) It was a multi part cache and in the next one I found a DEC 11 to interface it with.

Finally got it set up and working and what am I running on it? An emulator for a TRS-80 Model 4

(Now if that "Ain't" a geek joke . . .)

The coolest thing so far has been the Ninja Dragon bug - a throwing star (not too sharp) with a red dragon painted on one side, and a hole in the middle for the travel bug tag. What made it even better was that I had to solve a puzzle (a what number is next in the sequence puzzle) to get the code for the padlock that was holding it in the cache. Hopefully I'll get to place it back in the wild this weekend.