who let the dogs out !!!!!

Guest boatbubblles

Guest boatbubblles

in reading all of your posts, i have read alot about your four footed friends that you take with you on your hunts. we are one of those familys that can not go anywhere without our dogs. we have three of them and they go with us on every hunt or we do not go. i would like to hear about the animals u have and the dogs that make your geocaching fun.

we have three dogs. my hubbys dog is sweetie. she is a red/blue heeler. mom's dog is also a blue heeler. these two dogs happen to be sisters and boy do they fight like sisters. her name is katie. we got both of these dogs from the pound and they are excellent family/cow dogs. (we have a small farm) my sons dog is a black lab her named is rosie. she is a great looking dog which was dumped on our door step. we have had as many as 7 dogs at one time due to where we live they get dumped all the time.

we do not go anywhere without our 3 main dogs. if u say the word GO in any sentance or start the truck, they will camp out until they go and will pout if they are left home. our dogs go boating, camping and four wheeling and geocaching with us.

side note....we also have 3 cows, 7 horses, 1 goat and 1 cat.

please list name and breed of dog and a little about them.

dogs rule !!!!!!

I just got into geocaching and my wife and I have Buddy a 3 1/2 year old toy poodle. He enjoys eating so he's built like a mini. We live in the borough of Queens which is in NYC and don't have any cows or goats. My wife won't go anywhere without Buddy - I can't remember the last time she and I got away by ourselves.

The woods around here (we do leave NYC for most of the caches) have lots of ticks so my wife's real nervous about the dog getting bit. She doesn't seem so concerned about me though. Once we park near a "trail head" I start bushwacking on my own. She sits in the car with Buddy reading the Sunday New York Times. Buddy's very sad - he jumps up to the window and watches me go away and he's still looking when I return. Actually, on one of my hunts the wife and dog came along and it was pretty good. But I have to admit also that some terrain is tougher on small dogs. The other problem is around here lots of parks don't allow dogs; especialy during the regular season when lots of people are around. You can sneak a dog in "off" season in some places. Unless you do research before hand, and that doesn't always work, there's no way to know if a park you're going to allows dogs.

It would be nice if people setting up caches would make a note of that on their cache site. Mayme Jeremy who handles the cache web site could add a check mark for this kind of thing. Jeremy, are you listening?

If we ever get out to Utah, we'd love to go geocaching with ya. Do you thinbk the dogs will get along or will one of yours eat Buddy?

Guest boatbubblles

i would be more worried about buddy falling into a cow pie and never returning. lol

our dogs are all bark and no bite. we moved to the country 6 years ago after living in the city for 36 years. WE WILL NEVER GO BACK(oh shoot i said the g o word) we live about 5 miles out of a small town and can let out our dogs out to run and jump and play. no dog catcher around every corner. and if they bark no problem let them bark.... (no we do not let our dogs bark to much) i don't think i would ever make it in nyc. i am now and will always be a country girl, cow pies and all.(we moved out here to run a 125 cow dairy for one year. we don't dairy anymore but i am still in the dairy industry.

save a cow... drink milk

Guest geoark1

We have two Boston terriers that go everywhere with us Rascal a 7 year old male and JO-JO 14 months old. Rascal is a real water nut swins boats and yes evens rides the jet ski. JO-JO likes to find the small streams and play in them while caching. Both are small enough to travel well yet rugged enough to enjoy caching.

[This message has been edited by geoark1 (edited 09 December 2001).]

Guest Markwell

I have two "outdoors-impaired" Welsh Corgis, one Pembroke (Moose) and one Cardigan mismark (Rocky) - and no, they're not named after Moose and Squirrel, but rather Moussorgsky and Rachmaninoff.

The Cardi would be glad to go on a cache hunt, but would probably have a heart-attack by the time we got 500 feet from the car. The Pembroke would just like to bolt. icon_wink.gif

Guest Markwell

I have two "outdoors-impaired" Welsh Corgis, one Pembroke (Moose) and one Cardigan mismark (Rocky) - and no, they're not named after Moose and Squirrel, but rather Moussorgsky and Rachmaninoff.

The Cardi would be glad to go on a cache hunt, but would probably have a heart-attack by the time we got 500 feet from the car. The Pembroke would just like to bolt. icon_wink.gif

Our 15 year old german short hair pointer died a couple of months ago. She was blind and deaf so not much of a trail buddy the past few years. I am looking forward to getting a puppy in the spring to share the trails with.

Guest Ladybuggers

Our dog is a 11 year old poodle named Shelly. There aren't many caches that we go on that she isn't included. The only time we don't take her is if we are going to a park that restricts dogs or if we are going out of town and don't know the area and parks that we are visiting. She loves to be outside with her family.

It is my dog's belief that geocaching was invented solely for her pleasure. Kelsey is a 6 year old part beagle, part who knows what, pound puppy. She has gone on every hunt with me and though she likes finding squirrels better than ammo boxes, she always manages to find the right trail back to the car. Especially when I forget to mark a waypoint at the start.

http://www.angelfire.com/weird/bigal/captmn3.jpg

Hey does anyone know where I'm going wrong here? The dog won't help until I take her out geocaching again. Tried to explain to her that I have to work 5 days a week to keep Milkbones on the table.

Guest honeypie72

I'm not an expert with web pages, but I was able to see the pic by copying the link and putting in a new browser. Aren't some of the freebie web page hosts not allowing linking from another site or something along those lines.......someone help me here? LOL icon_smile.gif

Cute pup by the way!!!

Guest honeypie72

I'm not an expert with web pages, but I was able to see the pic by copying the link and putting in a new browser. Aren't some of the freebie web page hosts not allowing linking from another site or something along those lines.......someone help me here? LOL icon_smile.gif

Cute pup by the way!!!

quote:
Originally posted by honeypie72:

Cute pup by the way!!!

I went back and read about UBB code I think I know where I went wrong. Your way works too. Kelsey (the dog) thanks you for the compliment.

quote:
Originally posted by honeypie72:

Cute pup by the way!!!

I went back and read about UBB code I think I know where I went wrong. Your way works too. Kelsey (the dog) thanks you for the compliment.

We have a yellow lab.He is big and muscular. That's why he is called Rambo. He love's caching.(Especially near a water hole) icon_smile.gif He follows me everywhere.I remember stashing one cache last winter in about 3 to 4 feet of snow.He still followed.After a while he followed in my snowshoe tracks.I was very impressed to see he followed me but wouldn't quit after a very exausting trip in the mountains.This is my most faithfull and best caching partner.

We have a yellow lab.He is big and muscular. That's why he is called Rambo. He love's caching.(Especially near a water hole) icon_smile.gif He follows me everywhere.I remember stashing one cache last winter in about 3 to 4 feet of snow.He still followed.After a while he followed in my snowshoe tracks.I was very impressed to see he followed me but wouldn't quit after a very exausting trip in the mountains.This is my most faithfull and best caching partner.

I've got 2 furry brats myself that I take with me (or rather, that drag me along) on my geocaching adventures. Alex is 9 1/2 and Jessi (short for Jessica) is 10 1/2. Both of them LOVE the thrill of exploring new places and getting some exercise. My considerations for a geocache hunt are: 1) can I bring the brats with me and 2) can we get at least a long walk/short hike out of this?

Geocaching has definitely made our outdoor adventures much more interesting and has taken us to new places that I otherwise would not have visited. Finding a cache is only secondary to being out there with my two partners in crime.

If the cache container is wide enough, I always make sure to leave picture of the dogs as a sort of calling card. What kind of breed are they? Well, my handle should give it away or you can check them out at

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/husqui/topofhill.jpg

Yes, it would be nice if, upon hiding a cache, fellow geocachers would give out info as to whether or not a trail is dog-friendly. Usually they are but maybe the geocaching gods could include this question as part of the "hiding a cache" checklist.