Tolkien and other Fantasy caches

Guest mikechim

Guest mikechim

Recently I placed this cache based on my all time favorite books.

The Fellowship of the Ring

It has 22 potential locations (8 real the rest fake) basically follows Tolkien's storyline (told by cache location names, pictures, and some text) and requires themed trade items.

Besides wanting to share it I'm curious about how many more fantasy based themed caches are out there. I know a couple other Tolkien named ones exist but I don't think they have a storyline (but feel free to post those as well). I'm really looking for ones like mine The Fellowship of the Ring

or this one Dragonslayer which I plan on hitting when I travel out that way this spring.

Thanks

------------------

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

[This message has been edited by mikechim (edited 12 February 2002).]

Guest RedwoodRed

Mike, that looks great! I wish I lived closer so that I could try it.

I have been pondering a Tolkien-related cache for sometime. I like themed caches. I love multi-caches.

I'm surprised you didn't use music from the movie soundtrack. I love it. If I send you a CD burned from music I've made for LotR, would you put it in that cache? At least then I could have a trade item in it!

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

Guest mikechim

Lori,

That would be great, I'd love to put that in the cache. Honestly I don't have as many items as I'd like. The cache is $30 over budget and that's just the containers, laminating costs, etc. So I would definately put the CD's in. If you have a better music file in mind I'd be more then willing to use that as well, that one is from a Tolkien game. I searched the web and really didn't find anything I really liked. I want to stick with midi files cause I don't want the download to be to long. Email me mikechimdog@netscape.com and I'll send you my address. I'll also be placing a Two Towers one and a Return of the king one around the times the movies come out.

------------------

Guest Markwell

A throwback to an odl thread.

We talked a little bit about this in the chat last night - I had planned on placing a series of Tolkien-location-based-theme caches in the area. We have a mound that commands a wide view of the East-West Tollway that sounds strangely like Weathertop, and a local tower that rises up right next to a river in Naperville that has always reminded me of Orthanc. Never got around to them and don't think I will.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Guest RedwoodRed

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

Besides wanting to share it I'm curious about how many more fantasy based themed caches are out there. I know a couple other Tolkien named ones exist but I don't think they have a storyline (but feel free to post those as well). I'm really looking for ones like mine The Fellowship of the Ring

or this one Dragonslayer which I plan on hitting when I travel out that way this spring

I have a number of fantasy or sci-fi related themes I would love to apply to a geocache or group of multi's, especially since cracking Fractal's Contact Cache in December. I already have a great comics-related cache put together, but I'm looking for the perfect container and not having much luck. Also, waiting for March to place it.

I'd love to do something related to Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series of books, and Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, but don't know how I would pull them off other than to place a cache full of paperbacks of just each series. Other than "The Chronicles of Narnia", I can't think of another series of books by any author that so inspires me to place caches.

I also want to do a multi-cache for Tomb Raider, though I am sure it has been done, just not in my area. I mean, who could possible be the most awesome of cache-finders other than Lara Croft!

I have a list of others I am working on, thanks to the inspiration of Fractal, but I won't divulge them because of the work involved... I want it to be completely original!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

Guest fractal

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed:

I have a list of others I am working on, thanks to the inspiration of Fractal, but I won't divulge them because of the work involved... I want it to be completely original!

Well hey! I wanna know how I inspired you icon_smile.gif Email me if you don't want to post here.

Figure this will be as good a time as any to let people know about my next challenge cache with a sci-fi-ish theme:

gcfiles.jpg

First Assignment: Find Agent Fractal

It's gunna take me a month or 2 to get everything in place, but I hope to make it as good as the MI cache up in the Seattle area.

-fractal

[This message has been edited by fractal (edited 13 February 2002).]

Guest fractal

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed:

Well hey! I wanna know how I inspired you icon_smile.gif Email me if you don't want to post here.

Figure this will be as good a time as any to let people know about my next challenge cache with a sci-fi-ish theme:

gcfiles.jpg

First Assignment: Find Agent Fractal

It's gunna take me a month or 2 to get everything in place, but I hope to make it as good as the MI cache up in the Seattle area.

-fractal

[This message has been edited by fractal (edited 13 February 2002).]

Guest RedwoodRed

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

Lori,

Email me mikechimdog@netscape.com and I'll send you my address.

Mike, I attempted the email you listed and got a email message back saying that no such email existed.

Go ahead and send me an email and I'll (redwoodred@geogadgets.com) with your address in it and I'll get those disks headed your direction.

Guest RedwoodRed

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

I don't mind posting it publicly:

With your Contact Cache you raised the bar for me and showed me what geocaching COULD be. You involved so many different functions and forced me to think in a non-linear fashion, and it is rare that I have so much fun trying to solve a puzzle.

I know that I've said it before, but that cache is like the Lost Ark for Steak and I. We are planning a geocaching trip up the Oregon coast with the Contact Cache as the centerpiece.

The cache I'm planning is similar in that it will involve a puzzle, though not to the extremes that yours did, it will involve watching a movie for clues, but it will be a multi-cache, and to a degree the cache contents will be themed. I'm so excited about it... I will email you privately as I get further along to let you know more. Though not too much... I might be able to get you down here to find mine, right? That is my goal!

Guest RedwoodRed

quote:
Originally posted by fractal:

I don't mind posting it publicly:

With your Contact Cache you raised the bar for me and showed me what geocaching COULD be. You involved so many different functions and forced me to think in a non-linear fashion, and it is rare that I have so much fun trying to solve a puzzle.

I know that I've said it before, but that cache is like the Lost Ark for Steak and I. We are planning a geocaching trip up the Oregon coast with the Contact Cache as the centerpiece.

The cache I'm planning is similar in that it will involve a puzzle, though not to the extremes that yours did, it will involve watching a movie for clues, but it will be a multi-cache, and to a degree the cache contents will be themed. I'm so excited about it... I will email you privately as I get further along to let you know more. Though not too much... I might be able to get you down here to find mine, right? That is my goal!

Guest HIltonfamily

Hey! Erie isn't that far from me. Of late we have been picking a spot that looks great to cache in then finding a Homewood Suite neaby (free internet access) and doing a cache weekend get away......So The HIlton clan will be out your way in the near future...

I'm reading the Hobbit to my kids now. They were inthralled with the movie and wait anxiously for me to read another chapter each night. I think that the next cache we do will be a hobbit cache. Kinda like the treasure trove Bilbo and the Dwarves obtained after the Trolls were turned to stone.

I plan on putting jewlery in. Some gold (10k stuff) charms I don't wear any more, rings ect...Think that I"ll spray the cache box gold as well. Ours will be a kid cache with Mom's in mind.

I went to BK on Christmas eve...asked how I could get all the toys from the Lord of the Rings...and the woman there looked threw boxes and got me the entire set...have a few extra pieces so I think that i will put those in as well....

Hey.......should I leave some quilt squares while I'm up your way? Or if you have a travelor to place in the cache I'de be glad to make a mini signature quilt for it with a fantasy theme.......

DxChallenged

Guest fractal

e able to get you down here to find mine, right? That is my goal!

Very cool Red! Happy to have inspired you icon_smile.gif

I am saving up my vacation time and hope to do a long trip this summer, so I may get down there soon icon_smile.gif

And you guys better hurry up and get up here.. The sun is shining this week, which hasn't happened in a while! icon_wink.gif

-fractal

Guest fractal

e able to get you down here to find mine, right? That is my goal!

Very cool Red! Happy to have inspired you icon_smile.gif

I am saving up my vacation time and hope to do a long trip this summer, so I may get down there soon icon_smile.gif

And you guys better hurry up and get up here.. The sun is shining this week, which hasn't happened in a while! icon_wink.gif

-fractal

Guest PatrickM

This is a great idea! I've been a fan of the books since I was a kid. This thread has inspired me to do a LOTR multi cache here in the Boston area. I think I've come up with one that would involve evading the Nazgul-aka Mass state troopers :-), a canoe trip, scrambling around in tunnels, hikes in the forest and actually casting the ring into fire! Gotta chew on the concept for a bit and see if its all doable. Wish me luck!

Guest mikechim

quote:
Originally posted by HIltonfamily:

So The HIlton clan will be out your way in the near future...

They were inthralled with the movie and wait anxiously for me to read another chapter each night. I think that the next cache we do will be a hobbit cache.

Hey.......should I leave some quilt squares while I'm up your way? Or if you have a travelor to place in the cache I'de be glad to make a mini signature quilt for it with a fantasy theme.......

DxChallenged

That's great that you got your kids into Tolkien, I started reading him when I was 12 or so, have read the trilogy 2X a year since then and the hobbit about once, also pick up The Silmarillion and unfinished tales every now and then. You may want to skim through the Fellowship quickly if you haven't read it in awhile.

As soon as you do that hobbit cache let me know, I'm there.

A quilt square would be great, a mini sig quilt with a fantasy theme would be even better, lets do that! I have considered a couple travelers or hitchikers but haven't placed one yet. Get in touch with me and we'll get it figured out (mikechimdog@netscape.net, should be right this time).

------------------

Guest mikechim

quote:
Originally posted by PatrickM:

This is a great idea! I've been a fan of the books since I was a kid. This thread has inspired me to do a LOTR multi cache here in the Boston area. I think I've come up with one that would involve evading the Nazgul-aka Mass state troopers :-), a canoe trip, scrambling around in tunnels, hikes in the forest and actually casting the ring into fire! Gotta chew on the concept for a bit and see if its all doable. Wish me luck!

Great! I head out to Ocean City MD about once a summer and it's not to far from Boston. If it's out next summer I'm definately there. I haven't quit figured out what to do about the ending yet either. I split it up following the books and movie (more or less) (and I'm releasing each cache around the time of the movie, this one was 2 months late icon_smile.gif ) so I got time to think about it yet. I found a good place for Orthanc, but that's about it. Let me know how it goes.

------------------

Guest mikechim

quote:
Originally posted by PatrickM:

Great! I head out to Ocean City MD about once a summer and it's not to far from Boston. If it's out next summer I'm definately there. I haven't quit figured out what to do about the ending yet either. I split it up following the books and movie (more or less) (and I'm releasing each cache around the time of the movie, this one was 2 months late icon_smile.gif ) so I got time to think about it yet. I found a good place for Orthanc, but that's about it. Let me know how it goes.

------------------

wow! I had the same idea but you really carried it out much farther then I did. I created a 3 part geocache each of which has 4 hints to find to get to the cache. each hike is 3-6 miles (which is wy i broke it up into 3 parts) I wrote a walk thru guide to tell people what they'd be seeing (several abandoned estates in the NJ palisades) Seeing what you did I feel small by comparison. But I'm still very proud of the cache hunt I've set up

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12154

Guest mikechim

Hey gwho, your cache looks really good, if you got ruins in yours like the movie then you top the scenery of mine. If I'm ever out around NJ again I'll have to hit that one just for the ruins.

------------------

and, at the time, I had to agree with him.

I'm very curious how you dealt with this. If you don't want to give away any of your secrets please email me through the site and let me know.

Thanks!

------------------

Regards,

Tedoca

Guest rediguana

I'm just about to get some of my NZ colleagues together, and we are going to attempt to track down some of the filming locations for Lord of the Rings and put either virtual or real caches there - if they are on public land of course. Otherwise we may put something nearby anyway...

Cheers Gav

Guest Vercingetorix

A Tolkien-themed cache quest is something I've been thinking about for awhile. Here in Washington we have a lot of terrain very reminiscent of the books. Idyllic farmland, huge forests, blasted volcanic landscapes, and even Mt. Doom (Mt. Rainier). In order to make it a truly epic adventure, I thought an appropriate final leg would be to bring the ring to the caldera at the 14,000 ft. summit of Mt. Doom/Rainier and get a photo of yourself pitching it in.

Anyone in Washington interested in helping out with this?

------------------

-Verc

"Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

Guest mikechim

Geez rediquana and vercingetorix wish I was out either of those ways. Unfortunately when I was at Mt. Rainier it was to cloudy to see the peak (did end up hiking a couple miles of it though). I plan on getting out that way again in a few years. Hopefully the cache will be there then.

Gav, like I said I hope to head out your way too and not only check out Tolkien's old haunts but also follow the movie so hopefully it will happen (though that's not in any near future).

Drop a message in this forum when you actually get them placed, good luck and let us know how it goes.

------------------

I took a half day off work and started the Lord of the Rings cache today. Very Good so far!!! The first location is the very best ever and really fits the theme perfectly! I was there for 2 hours and am just over half way done. I can't wait to return and finish.