Special Geocaching Holiday Package with Prizes

Guest Peter Scholtz

Guest Peter Scholtz

I've got a meeting next week with the Cape Town Tourism (our states tourism promotion body).

I've been emailing South African magazines, TV programs, web sites, radio programs and govenment bodies trying to get some media attention to promote Geocaching in South Africa.

The Cape Town Tourism manager said it sounded facinating and arranged for a meeting.

What I want from them are three things:

1. Use their media channels to get media exposure

2. Sponsor the first Geocache with a built in WEB CAM!

3. Sponsor a special Geocaching holiday package with prizes etc.

So, I'd like some feedback from you regarding the holiday package. Would you consider coming to South Africa during the December/January (for arguments sake) holiday (it's nice and warm then!) if a special package was offered, for example:

A two week holiday, and if you find all the caches in our area you get your accomodation at a 50% discount for example.

What do you think? What would have to be offered to convince you to go for it?

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest makaio

I'd love to visit SA, but with a 1 yr old and another due very soon, I doubt I'd be able to get there anytime soon.

Regarding the web cam, the idea has been around as long as the sport, however nobody has implemented it yet that I'm aware of. I actually had a prototype setup here at my home (camera attached to a Linux webserver pointed out my office window to a public path nearby) some months ago but never pursued it for various reasons. I'd also considered using existing webcams (just palce a cache within their field of vision). Jeremy also was working on something along these lines but unsure what became of it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Guest Peter Scholtz

Come on guys, give me some ideas ... what would a Geocaching Holiday Package have to include to make it irresistable.

Keeping in mind it's a long flight, strange country, costs money and you have to find 20 caches in two weeks.

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest mfratto

I was sort of serious in my last post, but kind of joking (about the guide -- I would want free airfare icon_smile.gif

But, I think the more serious concern is political unrest, personal safety, and such -- afterall, geocaching is a hobby, not worth getting killed for, etc. (Well, not for us). So I think that would be a consideration -- I am not completely up to date on situations in SA, but I think if your caches were hidden in Tuscany or London or Hawaii, you would have more takers (no offence, seriously). SA is a pretty exotic, but also a pretty potentially dangerous trip, no?

Mauri, apologizing for any ignorance

Guest mfratto

I was sort of serious in my last post, but kind of joking (about the guide -- I would want free airfare icon_smile.gif

But, I think the more serious concern is political unrest, personal safety, and such -- afterall, geocaching is a hobby, not worth getting killed for, etc. (Well, not for us). So I think that would be a consideration -- I am not completely up to date on situations in SA, but I think if your caches were hidden in Tuscany or London or Hawaii, you would have more takers (no offence, seriously). SA is a pretty exotic, but also a pretty potentially dangerous trip, no?

Mauri, apologizing for any ignorance

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
Originally posted by mfratto:

SA is a pretty exotic, but also a pretty potentially dangerous trip, no?

Ouch! Then again your President Bush recently called Africa a country.

Things are fine here. No better or worse than any other country. Except that our currency is worth little ($1.00:R8.30) which means your holidays are so cheap here you might as well buy a wine farm!

I like the free airfare idea. Of course only refunded if you find all our caches.

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest mfratto

HA! If I didn't dislike Bush so much I might be offended (did he say New York was a continent?) LOL

Okay, so so much for the media fanfare then. I think the refund of the airfare would be agreeable with finding all the caches -- and maybe each cache could have some tourist goodie in it, like a free dinner, or a souvenir, etc.

Mauri