How do you adopt a Cache

bobwlsn

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

My archnemisis beat me again, drat.... Centaur must be hot on the keyboard right now!

Notice the beast's post gave the web address..

Quality... that's the name of the game.

Muhahahahahaha... <-evil maniacal laughter

----------

Was fun to meet you too beast! Now back in your cave!

icon_wink.gif

(And HI! to Trudy!)

66427_2800.gif

I sent an email to a cache owner who never responded to a log stating they need a new log book in the cache. I noticed this is his only cache and he has no finds, and the cache was placed almost 2 years ago. I figured he wasn't active anymore and sent an email offering to take over the cache if that was true. I got no reply. Does admin. transfer ownership if they can't make contact?

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

Admin is a little more reluctant to relinquish cache ownership in an "unresponsive" situation than a situation where both parties are in agreement. And that's as it should be. There should be a due process for caches to be forcefully adopted - making sure that the cacher hasn't responded, giving adequate warning, etc., etc., etc.

The downside is getting something happening like this, which just left bad feelings all around.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

Does admin. transfer ownership if they can't make contact?

They have in the past, but seem to be trying to avoid such things, because of possiable "problems" it could cause.

And, are you wanting to adopt a cache because it needs a log book? icon_confused.gif Why not just replace the log.... icon_confused.gif

22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Well, yes that would fix this problem. I would also go to it several times a year to restock trade items and keep up with the logs. I just happened to be checking on caches I have visited in the past and saw this. If someone were to ask if it was still there because they couldn't find it I have a feeling nobody would get that message.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

If someone were to ask if it was still there because they couldn't find it I have a feeling nobody would get that message.

If the owner is not responding i would agree.

But before you claim the cache as orphaned and try to adopt you should send a couple emails (to the owner) waiting a few weeks between messages and post to cache asking them to respond. (But, maybe you've done that, so you can ignore everything ive said icon_wink.gif)

22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

If the cache were damaged or in really sad shape, then I could see someone wanting to take over the whole cache, page, responsibility, etc... but if the cache is still self-maintaining and isn't causing any problems, I don't think it is a good idea for someone to take ownership of it. Granted, it is kind of a gray area with that person having placed only that cache, and since it was a long time ago... but still, I think transferring ownership of a cache should be the very last option.

Right now, you could just be a sport and throw a new log book in the cache. icon_wink.gif

flag.gif

View The ToeCam