what kind or prep work do you do before placing a cache?

Guest welch

im in the process of making up some new caches and figuring out were to place them. i wondered what kind of homework other geocachers did before placing them. do you look at maps? and charts?

Guest sbukosky

finding that checking a topo map both in creating a hunt and before going on one is a very good thing to do. The description for many hunts practically tell you where to park and what trail to take to the cache area. That's nice sometimes, but I like to make that part of the strategy of the hunt. For example, one hunt was .5 mile from a cross country ski trailhead, the seemingly obvious place to begin. But in circling the area, I found a public path elsewhere that was an easier and more direct path to the cache. Either the owner of the cache was not aware of the easier entrance or was intentionally increasing the difficulty of the hunt. Another tactic could be to make a hide obstructed by a stream or hill. Here, the strategy would be shown by referencing a topo map. Difficult to find caches are fun, but keep in mind there is also a need for some one star caches too. These are great for kids with short attention spans and people that cannot make long hikes or climb hills. A good challenge is a cache where the world passes by but never knows it is there.

Guest Geo Quest

I research topo maps of the area and then conduct a recon to get a first-hand impression of the area. If the area is not worth visiting in and of itself I won't put a cache there. The reason is because if the hunter fails to find the cache I want them to at least be able to appreciate something about the area.

Guest Choberiba

Geo Quest, according to the marker under your name in the post above. This was you first post to these forums.

I don't believe I've ever seen someone get the idea of what geocaching is *really* about so quickly.

Oh, my prep work is finding a good spot, then hunting it myself the next day to see how my Garmin likes the coords.

It's really important to verify coordinates before posting them to the web site.

Guest web-ling

First I check Mapquest, Mapblast, etc. to identify parkland. I also do Internet searches of various municipalities, counties, etc. I've also been looking at the cache maps of my area to find 'gaps' where no caches are located.

Next, I find an aerial and take a 'virtual look' at the area to see what's there. I mostly use Microsoft Terra Server and Mapquest for my aerials.

Next, I visit the location. I look for possible safety and security issues, land usage issues, habitat issues, as well as good hiding places.

If there are no issues I am aware of, and I have a good spot, I hide a cache - usually after thinking about it for a few days.

Web-ling

quote:
Originally posted by Choberiba:

Geo Quest, according to the marker under your name in the post above. This was you first post to these forums.

I don't believe I've ever seen someone get the idea of what geocaching is *really* about so quickly.

Hmmm, quick check on geocaching.com shows that Geo Quest placed his 1st cache in May, so maybe he has a bit more insight then it would 1st appear. icon_smile.gif

Back on topic. I'll second Geo Quest and Web-ling on choice of location. I rejected a few locations due to the fact I didnt think there was much worthwhile in the area other then the cache.

The one I placed recently is in a fairly new nature preserve. It doesnt appear on any maps and its not in an area you would expect to find 35 acres of woods with nice trails. Even most locals dont know it exists. I thought that was a pretty good reason to bring cachers to the area.

I have a similar area in mind I will probably place in the next week or 2. 2 more planned have some interesting but little known history behind them, and will probably be theme caches related to that.

Distance to other caches is also a factor. I live in an area that has over 400 caches within 100 miles, so I try to look for dead spots first. After I consider an area, I try to look at it from a finder's perspective. Would I would personally enjoy coming to the area and seeking a cache? I also try to consider how someone not familiar with the area might attempt it, in case there are any dangerous or off limit areas. Of course you need to make sure its legally accessable.

quote:

Hmmm, quick check on geocaching.com shows that Geo Quest placed his 1st cache in May, so maybe he has a bit more insight then it would 1st appear. icon_smile.gif

Back on topic. I'll second Geo Quest and Web-ling on choice of location. I rejected a few locations due to the fact I didnt think there was much worthwhile in the area other then the cache.

The one I placed recently is in a fairly new nature preserve. It doesnt appear on any maps and its not in an area you would expect to find 35 acres of woods with nice trails. Even most locals dont know it exists. I thought that was a pretty good reason to bring cachers to the area.

I have a similar area in mind I will probably place in the next week or 2. 2 more planned have some interesting but little known history behind them, and will probably be theme caches related to that.

Distance to other caches is also a factor. I live in an area that has over 400 caches within 100 miles, so I try to look for dead spots first. After I consider an area, I try to look at it from a finder's perspective. Would I would personally enjoy coming to the area and seeking a cache? I also try to consider how someone not familiar with the area might attempt it, in case there are any dangerous or off limit areas. Of course you need to make sure its legally accessable.

Guest brokenwing

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

im in the process of making up some new caches and figuring out were to place them. i wondered what kind of homework other geocachers did before placing them. do you look at maps? and charts?

Don't take this as criticism, but from my perspective, you may have already started off on the wrong foot. I believe that you should already have a place in mind before you even bother to "make up a cache". There are two reasons for this. One, you need to have some idea as to how the cache is going to be hidden before choosing a container for the cache. Two, (and this is critical) you need to understand why you are placing a cache in the first place. If it's "just because", don't bother. We don't do anybody any favors by placing bad or boring caches. In my opinion, if you don't already know where and, most importantly, why you are placing a particular cache, you should not place it. I'm not saying every cache has to be wonderful, but I would much rather have 10 really worthy caches in my area, than 100 trash caches. Placing a cache just because you feel obliged to place it is not the way to go.

I think we need to keep in mind what others have already said here. It's about the experience, not the cache itself. If there is nothing to recommend the location of the cache, it does not need to be there. Keep in mind too that you may know a great park, but sometimes there are just no suitable locations for a cache. If you have a cool park, but can't find a really good place for a cache, don't put the cache in a bad spot just to put a cache in your "cool" park. Likewise, if the park sucks, even the best location in that park is not going to make it a good cache.

Think about it like this: If you weren't placing, (or hunting) a cache, would you like being directed here?

------------------

------

Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest RedwoodRed

quote:
Originally posted by brokenwing:

I think we need to keep in mind what others have already said here. It's about the experience, not the cache itself. If there is nothing to recommend the location of the cache, it does not need to be there

Think about it like this: If you weren't placing, (or hunting) a cache, would you like being directed here?

Brokenwing, just to play devil's advocate, you haven't been reading all of the posts here or you would know that there are folks geocaching who go, because: If you place it, they will go and find it.

No longer be the DA, however, I agree that each and every cache should have a redeeming vista or history in case the seekers fail to find. I would like to point out, however, that I live in an area where gorgeous vistas are everywhere (on the Northern California coast, in the Redwoods) and geocaches are few, an in most cases, far between. VERY far...

Not everyone, especially city dwellers have this luxury.

I like to make sure that the areas where I place caches have some historical significance - something else in abundance locally - and are someplace where locals who visit say, "Wow! I didn't know that that place/trail/view was there!"

Another thing to consider: I placed a cache near a very well frequented area for hikers and people walking their dogs. It is only one mile from city center, but it is one of the most visited caches in this area since it's placement, mostly by first timers. So one should consider what level of traffic they want their cache to get.

My 2 cents worth...

------------------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

http://www.geogadgets.com

http://www.beautywithattitude.com

http://www.w6hy.org

I'm in Brokenwing's camp...

We follow these steps:

1. Where is someplace we enjoy that we would want to send others to?
  2. Why do we want to send them there? Is there some kind of theme or point to the area we could capitalize on to build a story/adventure for the cache hunt
  3. How do we want to get them to the area? Directly, or do we want to guide them around the area to fulfill the adventure or purpose to the hunt?
  4. Now, where should we put the actual cache? This requires one or more site visits
  5. How should we hide the cache, what container works best?
  6. What should go in the cache? If its a theme or story, can we make the contents part of the cache?
  7. Once hidden, lets create the cache page. Often a picture session and library visit is required to build up the story/theme/adventure before we actually create the cache page

Here are some examples:

Hope this helps!

------------------

Team CacheCows of Wisconsin

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 26 December 2001).]

Guest brokenwing

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed:

Brokenwing, just to play devil's advocate, you haven't been reading all of the posts here or you would know that there are folks geocaching who go, because: If you place it, they will go and find it.

Actually, I'm quite aware that some people will hunt any cache, just because it's there. This does not mean the cache is worthwhile, however. Virtually every cache gets found eventually, but we all know that there are plenty of boring caches.

As far as those cachers that will hunt any cache go, I feel that one of two things will eventually happen to them. Either "A", they will stop caching because geocaching is "boring", or they will eventually realize that being a little more selective about which caches they hunt will actually make the sport more enjoyable for them. Personally, I now fall into the latter category.

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed:

No longer be the DA, however, I agree that each and every cache should have a redeeming vista or history in case the seekers fail to find. --snip-- Not everyone, especially city dwellers have this luxury.

Don't misunderstand me. While beautiful vistas are nice, I'm not saying that is a requirement. The goal is to put caches in places we would be interested in going to even if there was not a cache there. Nothing more. It may be a beautiful vista, a historical site, or just a shady spot on the trail. The point is to make it enjoyable first, a cache second. This is perhaps even more important for city dwellers like me. There are plenty of questionable parks in any big city. Such places should be avoided. I certainly don't want to go someplace that makes me feel uncomfortable, or someplace unsafe.

------------------

Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

[This message has been edited by brokenwing (edited 26 December 2001).]

Guest bunkerdave

This is a virtual that I just posted. IMHO, the very BEST sites need no cache at all, but have so much to offer, that the site and the hunt are enough for anyone. I think this is definitely true in this case.

That said, I would have LOVED to place a cache here, but given the tenuous circumstances with the BLM office in the area, I decided to go virtual. My wife's family actually owns some land a few miles from here, so I may place a cache there, just so no one can complain. It would be fun to do a multi cache in this instance.

The Moon House
Guest sbukosky

I kinda look at virtual caches like a virtual paycheck. This spring I hope to promote some GEOTOURING with my motorcycle club and maybe a motorcycle geocache where the cache is motorcycle related but my point is if there is not a cache, it's not a geocache. Nothing wrong with Geotouring but I think it is not Geocaching.

------------------

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I also try to consider how someone not familiar with the area might attempt it, in case there are any dangerous or off limit areas. Of course you need to make sure its legally accessable. [/b]

of course

quote:

Oh, my prep work is finding a good spot, then hunting it myself the next day to see how my Garmin likes the coords.

It's really important to verify coordinates before posting them to the web site.

so you hide the cache then come back and hunt the thing again? isn't that what averaging (WAAS right?)is for?

Guest rdwatson78

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

so you hide the cache then come back and hunt the thing again? isn't that what averaging (WAAS right?)is for?

1. I think he means you get the coords when scouting the area and double check them when placing the cache. That's how I do mine. I have never taken a prepared cache with me in the hope that I will find a suitable place.

2. Garmins do not average. Sometimes a good thing, sometimes a bad thing.

3. WAAS? Nothing to do with averaging, but can help get better coords whether hunting or placing.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by rdwatson78:

The Etrex line doesn't average, the Roman Numeral models however do (II, III, III+, V).

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 28 December 2001).]

Before placing a cache, I first wash to cleanse myself of unclean thoughts and trail dirt. I then begin to pray and open myself to the emanations of the many gods in our sky (up to twelve at one time). I then bring forth The Sacred Bowl of Tupper or the Holy Boxammo that I have filled with objects of devotion and a new Roster for the Holy Initiates. I wander about in the woods, all the while communing with the spirits above in an ecstatic trance.........

OK, maybe not. But It's late friday and I can't wait til Sunday to practice my true faith.

"Remember the Geocashing Day, to keep it holy."

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan:

Before placing a cache, I first wash to cleanse myself of unclean thoughts and trail dirt. I then begin to pray and open myself to the emanations of the many gods in our sky (up to twelve at one time). I then bring forth The Sacred Bowl of Tupper or the Holy Boxammo that I have filled with objects of devotion and a new Roster for the Holy Initiates. I wander about in the woods, all the while communing with the spirits above in an ecstatic trance.........

OK, maybe not. But It's late friday and I can't wait til Sunday to practice my true faith.

alright something i can use![ icon_biggrin.gif]

quote:
Originally posted by Eoghan:

alright something i can use![ icon_biggrin.gif]

quote:
Originally posted by rdwatson78:

1. I think he means you get the coords when scouting the area and double check them when placing the cache. That's how I do mine. I have never taken a prepared cache with me in the hope that I will find a suitable place.

3. WAAS? Nothing to do with averaging, but can help get better coords whether hunting or placing.

rdw

ok i see what your saying.

I've only placed three caches and the prep work for each one was different.

For my first cache I knew exactly where I wanted to put it so all I had to do was make certain that it was accessible at various times of the year, could I get a good fix, were there any trail hazards, private land nearby, available parking etc... I took coordinates at the location, hunted it from several different directions, looked for signs of recent activity in the area, cleaned the area up a bit (there was some trash nearby), that kind of thing, just to make sure that everything 'worked.'

For my second cache I knew the trail I wanted to use but not the exact spot to place the cache (actually, two spots because I made it a multi to lead folks down what I felt was a particularly scenic trail). I hiked that trail almost every afternoon for a week scouting out locations, marking waypoints, and then seeing just how my GPS led me back in the next day. I found a tricky little spot near the trailhead for my clue cache and when I finally found a cluster of boulders up on the crest of a hill with a beautiful view down to the stream below I knew I had found my spot for the final cache location. Then it was a matter of selecting the appropriate containers for each leg, verifying the park hours etc. and finally placing the containers and double checking the coordinates.

This one backfired on me though as some folks who have found the clue cache, with coordinates to the final cache, have discovered that they can simply backtrack to their cars, get in and drive to another location, get back out and have only a short walk to the final cache, thus defeating my original intent. Oh well, it's their loss but I do feel it was a mistake on my part to have overlooked that.

My third cache is just a temporary one to collect signatures on the quilt project squares. I wanted it to be easy so I just pulled out my maps, located a park with adequate parking and few restrictions, hiked around with my container until I found that perfect hollow log, stuck it in there and grabbed my coordinates. Then I hunted it again myself the next day before going live.

I think that hunting your own cache before posting it is a good practice. Try to focus on your GPS, see where it's leading you... might it suggest to a future hunter that they cross through private property? Or cross a stream when there is no need? Or climb a rock wall when they could just follow the path around it?

I did hide one other cache. It was my friend's birthday present and I wanted to give it to him in that special way. I grabbed my maps and spent an entire afternoon driving around to, and hiking in, parks near his home until I found the spot that worked. Available parking, nice trails, scenic views... you just know when it all comes together and everything falls into place.

BTW, the location turned out to be so good that my friend has since memorialized the spot by placing his own cache there, you can see it here.

Different caches, different locations, every potential cache is unique and offers different twists, turns, and challenges. All time spent preparing, idiot proofing, thinking it through, testing, verifying, double checking etc... is time well spent. The last thing you want to do is lead someone into a dangerous or illegal situation or otherwise put them in harms way.

Guest blscearce

quote:
Originally posted by arffer in response to rdwatson's claim that "Garmins don't average":

The Etrex line doesn't average, the Roman Numeral models however do (II, III, III+, V).

The eMap can do position averaging of a waypoint, but doesn't (as far as I know) do automatic averaging when you're standing still or moving slowly. So no hula dancing needed. icon_wink.gif

Guest blscearce

quote:
Originally posted by arffer in response to rdwatson's claim that "Garmins don't average":

The eMap can do position averaging of a waypoint, but doesn't (as far as I know) do automatic averaging when you're standing still or moving slowly. So no hula dancing needed. icon_wink.gif