Ever had a problem like this with coordinates?

PATHer

I recently hid a cache and as I usually do, let the GPS unit average the position while I hid the container. Good a good signal and the coordinates did not vary.

Well, after posting it, it seems that no one can find it. Everyone says their GPS unit starts actibg strange when they get near the site.

There is a radio tower nearby (did not know it at the time), but I would not think that should affect the GPS unit.

Here is the link to the cache page so you can see what comments are being left.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=38537

Ever hear of this before?

Any tips (I guess I need to move it)

Andy

I would go back to see if the cache is there and check my GPS at the cache site. If it's still there and my GPS works then I would leave it active. It could be that you did a good job hiding it and eventually a more experienced cacher will come along to log it. If you are a good hider, than a few no-finds is normal.

quote:
Originally posted by PATHer:

Well, after posting it, it seems that no one can find it. Everyone says their GPS unit starts actibg strange when they get near the site.

There is a radio tower nearby (did not know it at

Ever hear of this before?

Yes, this has happened to me.

I placed a cache in a spot kinda like this named "Electro Magnetic Interference". But that one wasn't the problem.

I placed a micro under one of the largest radio towers around. ("Aha", you say.) A very experienced finder couldn't find it. I went back to the site, punched "goto" and walked right to it. Turns out I did all the right things getting the original coords - WAAS averaged for 15 minutes, checked a couple times with different constellations, etc. - and then typed the stupid numbers wrong on the cache description page.

Embarrassingly enough, I've done this twice.

(And I spend my life in front of a keyboard.)

Now I have no idea if that's what you've done, but it's cleansing to confess this...

But I would check it. Both of those cachers were new to this. One has found 5, and the other 2. They could still be getting used to their GPSr's. Check on it and see.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

If you've got a friend with a GPS unit (preferably a Garmin, since you have a Mag - just so you can get a wider range of accuracy between units - no Mag bashing here), verify the coordinates with both units. If they jive, I'd leave it. I've found caches with coordinates off by 100 feet, using the clues once it turns out obvious that the posted coordinates are not accurate.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.