map question

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Guest Pat in Louisiana

I had come across a site that showed the locations of caches on a map and I didn't book mark it. Anyone know the address?

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Hey that's it!

Thanks

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

Guest jeremy

Like this?

http://www.geocaching.com/map/il.asp

I'm slowly adding the states. I have all the shapefiles, just need the time to complete them.

Forgot to mention - If you login there's a separate icon for caches that you found.

Some are done. Some aren't. I need to do all 50 and have most of the countries too.

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 21 August 2001).]

Guest Prime Suspect

If you own the Street Atlas software and own a Garmin unit, you can easily create your own maps. And, of course, you will have all the functionality of Street Atlas along with it.

Here's how:

This assumes you're able to put all the cache waypoints you're interested in into your GPSR (via EasyGPS or some other method). You'll also need the freeware G7ToWin utility, available at http://members.home.net/crh24/gps/g7towin/g7towin.htm

Connect your GPSR to your PC and download your waypoints into G7ToWin. Start up Street Atlas. Go back to G7ToWin and take the "Send To SA" menu option. Street Atlas will pop back up with all your caches displayed mapped out on screen. Can't beat it!

And G7ToWin can store waypoint data, so it's not necessary to transfer from the GPSR each time.

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

I suppose I'm taking requests. icon_wink.gif

.... OK ... can you play "I've got tears in my ears from lying on my back crying over you" .... icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

I suppose I'm taking requests. icon_wink.gif

.... OK ... can you play "I've got tears in my ears from lying on my back crying over you" .... icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Bob_and_Genny

Hi,

Just saw this thread. I've been working on something similar for my own use, tracking the caches found/placed/need to find in my area. Here's the url to one of the maps http://www.bobshome.org/test/geomap_l.html .

This was generated with a Perl script that parses the downloaded XML EasyGPS waypoint files, queries the US government Tiger/line mapping server for the map, and then builds the html page.

I'm not sure what I want to do with this. I could turn it into a cgi script with zoom in/out capabilities. I could make it a series of static pages. What I really wanted was a map that I could print out to use as a reference when deciding where hunt next. But it's hard to get enough detail and still show the area (see geomap.html in the same directory).

One thing that would make this a lot easier would be a way to query the database for caches progmaticlly instead of clicking all those check boxes -- Jeremy, if you want to share ideas, let me know icon_smile.gif

I may end up with two version of my program. One that generates a web page and one that generates a printable image.

Bob

Guest Bob_and_Genny

Hi,

Just saw this thread. I've been working on something similar for my own use, tracking the caches found/placed/need to find in my area. Here's the url to one of the maps http://www.bobshome.org/test/geomap_l.html .

This was generated with a Perl script that parses the downloaded XML EasyGPS waypoint files, queries the US government Tiger/line mapping server for the map, and then builds the html page.

I'm not sure what I want to do with this. I could turn it into a cgi script with zoom in/out capabilities. I could make it a series of static pages. What I really wanted was a map that I could print out to use as a reference when deciding where hunt next. But it's hard to get enough detail and still show the area (see geomap.html in the same directory).

One thing that would make this a lot easier would be a way to query the database for caches progmaticlly instead of clicking all those check boxes -- Jeremy, if you want to share ideas, let me know icon_smile.gif

I may end up with two version of my program. One that generates a web page and one that generates a printable image.

Bob

Guest PharoaH

These maps are "shaping" up. Is there any way to have your start location appear on the map? You know, like you could enter your start lat/lon in your profile and when you're logged in the map would show your start location.