Most Caches in One Day?

Guest bunkerdave

Guest Pokey

7 is tops for us in a day, 12 would be a good weekend total for us. I guess if I ever used a map and researched instead of using the pointer arrow to find our way to the cache we might get a few more per day. But for us part of the fun is not knowing where we are going other than "that a way!"

Jeff

Guest bunkerdave

Posted by "Gumby & Pokey"

"I guess if I ever used a map and researched instead of using the pointer arrow to find our way to the cache we might get a few more per day. But for us part of the fun is not knowing where we are going other than "that a way!"

I agree that is a very enjoyable way to hunt. Just this past Friday, I was out running around, and it occurred to me that there was a very nice cache I hadn't been to kind of close. I had no log printed out, just the waypoint in my GPS, and off I went. I was fortunate in this case that the name of the cache provided a hint, because the coords were a bit off. It was a lot of fun, though.

I have also, to my dismay, visited numerous caches that made me wonder what the owner was thinking made this location special, or even interesting or challenging. I am, however, not able to resist finding a cache that is placed, and when I go on my marathon hunts, I tend to find EVERYTHING in the area. Place it under a dumpster, in an outhouse, doghouse, henhouse, or treehouse, and I will come. These caches are best well mapped and planned, because I do not care to spend more than an hour on them. (If you are reading this and wondering if I am bagging on YOUR cache, I'm not. icon_smile.gif YOUR cache was marvelous)

My GPS also has the mapping built into it, so everything is already mapped. In my area, taking off without SOME planning can get you into serious trouble, also.

Guest Lazyboy

until this past weekend we've never gotten more than 2 in a day. But we went out for a few hours before a get-together and found 8. We could have fit in a couple of more but we just took our time and enjoyed the scenery. There are a lot of caches here in southwestern oregon and I'm sure someone could get many more than I did around here. I'm never in a big hurry though.

Guest ClayJar

You 12-caches-a-day people are spoiled. icon_smile.gif

I did manage three in half a day this past weekend... and to anyone going to the Johnson SP cache in Mississippi, there's probably some cash lying near it. If you find it, go to Arby's; that's what I was supposed to do. icon_wink.gif

Guest bunkerdave

Yeh, spoiled is definitely the word. Heck, we had 23 new caches in the last week. Over three per DAY! Helps when about 97% of your state is public land, too. Don't think we aren't willing to share - we can't possibly find all these by ourselves. icon_wink.gif Come on over, find all you want...we'll hide more.

Guest ClayJar

Ah, fun! I planned a whirlwind tour of southwest Arkansas geocaches (and the one in Shreveport, LA). I drove from Baton Rouge, LA, up past Texarkana, AR, and spent the night. The I got up and was hunting the first cache by 7:00am. I got back to Shreveport, hit the last cache on my route, and got back to the car less than two minutes from local sunset.

I must say that it was quite fun. All told, I ended up driving 1109.5 miles, finding 7 caches, and spending 31 hours doing it (including the six hours I slept in my car before starting).

Now if I can only get my backup sound man to fill in for me next Sunday at church, I can head somewhere where I can find a */3.5 or above. Any suggestions for a 3.5+ terrain cache within a day's drive of Baton Rouge, LA? (I don't have any special equipment for a 5, but I want to find a challenging cache that may take even up to a whole day.)

Guest Cach-U-Nuts

I would like to know how a guy can go out every weekend and find a dozen caches. Last weekend I could only manage 2. Of course I also had to paint a fence and a bench (that I built the weekend before), mow the lawn, relocate 4 sprinkler heads, unclog 2 shower drains and 2 sink drains, vacuum our carpets and do my share of the laundry. Oh, wait a minute I think I figured it out. You must have a butler, a gardener, a maid and a handyman on your staff. That's it, isn't it?

Guest Cache-potato

First time out wifey and I found 5 next time three. My state only has 4 of which 2 are mine. Hey, did I mention what a great state to hide a cache West Virginia is?

Guest bunkerdave

ot to the site before I read the logs in my PDA and realized it was gone. icon_redface.gif

It doesn't really seem like all that many caches when you are chasing them. Last weekend I just headed for the Dimple Dell cache and after I found it, went to my GPS to tell me the next closest one. Kept going like that until it got dark, and when I counted, I had found 10. The 12 I found with BBNot2Busy was a well-planned event. I had the roads mapped, the hikes measured, and he had all the logs printed out and ready to go. When you hunt alone (mostly) you can move much faster, too. Make no mistake, I prefer to have company, but as you can understand, a dozen caches can be too much for a lot of people. And most of us are not in the numbers side of the sport. I think of it more like running a marathon, which might make even less sense. icon_smile.gif

I have to admit that there have really only been maybe 20 caches that have actually been "hard" to get to. Most of our caches around here, as well-placed as they are, are drive-ins. If there is more than a .25 mile hike to a cache, I am pretty excited. I would like to see more hikes, but I realize that most people take their kids and many are older and/or not in the best of health/shape.

Just in case anyone is the least but curious about how long I plan to keep this up, I have thought about that myself. I plan to reach 100 cache logs before the Rendezvous on July 13. After that, I will cache at a much more leisurely pace, probably more like one or two a week. Unless I get an itch. I had entertained a notion, briefly, about catching Erik, the current leader, but am not sure that is the thing to do. Given the rate at which caches are being placed in Utah, and the fact that I could find 20 each week if I had a mind to, it could certainly be done, but I think I would rather try the more leisurely approach for a change, and see what that is like. Besides, if you think I'm nuts, he is obviously certifiable. icon_biggrin.gif

I love to meet other cachers, and especially am pleased to see the wide range of ages of the people participating. Everyone I have met has truly been a treat to become acquainted with. The sport itself is very stimulating and exciting, but the best part, as always, is the opportunity to meet people form such diverse backgrounds (even in Utah) who I know I would never meet otherwise.

Guest JoeyBob

Not enough caches here on the Central NC area to do 12 in a day, unless you were up before dawn. I have done 3 in a day twice, usually when the wife and kids are out of town! ;-) Some of my favorites are to hit a new cache on the way home after work- I work night shift at a local hospital. Not much risk of running into another geocacher.

Guest bunkerdave

I "caught" someone yesterday visiting one of my local caches who found 13 last Sunday. I guess most of them were the same ones I found the day before. That might be a record. Oh well...I'm off after 15 today. Please don't hate me. icon_wink.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

All time record ... 7 today ... left at 7 am ... drove 2 hours .... last cache at 2:30 pm .... and back home ... now I'm dead ... nnneeeeeeeddddd slllllleeeeeeppppppppppp

Guest PneumaticDeath

Today I set a new personal record of 2 in one day. icon_wink.gif It's just a game folks. If I find 15 in one day, I'll have exhasted most (all) of the local ones in just a week or two, and I don't want to drive too far with gas prices the way they are (paid $2.099/gal today).

-- Mitch

Guest bunkerdave

I got a late start, so I only managed to get 9 today. most of them were pretty good hikes, though, so I don't feel a bit bad.

Just FYI, I realize that most people do not have the luxury of 100+ caches within two hours drive of their home. We are especially fortunate in Utah to have the public land we do, the access to it, and the level of interest that keeps the caches coming. I am interested in knowing what is going on around the country, and I don't see anything wrong with sharing experiences I have. If it sounds like bragging, then that is YOUR problem (this is to no one in particular) and don't read it. I wish more people would share their "records" and counts and such, just so we know who is doing what. I have followed with keen interest some of the other cachers who have logged many finds, and enjoy seeing what they have been up to. Of course it's not a competition; if it is, then what is the prize? I just like to challenge myself to see what I can do. Today I tried 15, but it was clearly too much. Sure had fun, though, so I guess I "win."

Guest bunkerdave

Well, this weekend a group of us are hiking a nice little 9,000 foot peak, Mt. Olympus, and it will be my 100th cache find. I haven't been out since Wednesday morning, when I found 2 to bring me to 99. I am already getting a cache together to place - probably tomorrow, if I can get to the top of MY mountain. It's over 10,000 feet, but not as tough a hike as Olympus, I'm told. I have always thought hiding had greater rewards than finding, but it's a little expen$ive to do a "hiding marathon."

Besides, I still have 3 caches that no one has logged yet. So much for Utah cachers being the most active, eh? icon_wink.gif Could it be that they are "just too hard?"

Anyway, my point is that myself and a couple of others are planting a Super-Duper cache that will "showcase" some of the best spots in Utah. The cache contents are top-notch, and the trips to get there will, I assure you, be nothing less. If my unfound caches are any indication, however, it may be awhile before this one is conquered, as well.

Guest Iron Chef

The most I've found in one day is 3, but I've done it several times and a few times checked up on other caches that I had already logged. It's hard to do more than that sometimes because of the price of gas and the insane parking costs that some of the parks around here have. Also since I don't get to go to these places all too often it means that I usually try to see how much of the park I can explore after finding the geocache.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _____ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest geofly

Attempted to find 16 yesterday, but I only found 11. I felt like I had accompished a lot after the day was done. Now that I have had a day like this I question what the worth is in trying to hit too many caches in one day. It does not leave enough time to enjoy the locations in which the caches have been placed. To me this is a very large part of the quest that should not be forgotten. From now on I think I will stick to less caches in one day, because often times less is more. Remeber the find is just half the fun. Enjoy the ride!

Guest bunkerdave

I have to agree with this last post. I went out on some pretty crazy hunts, and had a great time, but I have had as good a time, or maybe better, on some other hunts for only one, or a couple of caches.

The time I and three other cachers went to the top of Olympus together was as fun as any of the multi-hunts I have been on. I Always invite others on the hunts I go on, especially the longer ones, for safety, but also because it make the hunt much more fun. It also is easier to find caches if you have more people looking.

Since I broke the century mark in caches found. I have been much more active in placing some interesting caches. You have not seen any of them listed, because they are not "ready" yet. icon_wink.gif I have been looking for some caches to hunt with higher difficulty, and have been involved with a group that is as vigilant as I am in seeking out the more difficult caches. This has been as fun as the numbers hunt, and even more challenging. Still, hunting for numbers has its own rewards, too. I got to see lots of great places, and go on some great drives/hikes. I now know more about my state than I ever could have found out just driving around aimlessly. I probably have as good an idea as anyone what makes a great cache, and I hope that I will be a better cache hider because of it.

Whether anyone wants to be hunter or a hider, I just hope they play by the rules, and be a good citizen of the caching community. We have a really good thing going in Utah, and I hope to see it last a long time.

Yikes!

I planned a trip last summer out of town. One day I could have found 5 and had plenty of time to include the 2 hour visit with some friends were I to have gotten up and around for 8am instead of 9am. Earlier and I would have had to have internet access to find a couple more caches, or cross to another area for the following day's planned caches. Which I could have done, since the following day I only managed to find two given the time required to find the two I found ...

The record of 4 has been since tied, but the timing was better since two of the caches required the same parking lot, one of which was easy to find. I guess the timing involved on day two was about 5 hours vs. about 7 hours split in two. Of course from the first trip, the back and forth to the first cache really added to the timing.

Guest tedoca

I think the most caches I've ever found in one day is four (and I had to go out of State to Virginia to do it). There are plenty of them to be found in this area but our problem is TRAFFIC!

This part of Maryland (right outside Wash. D.C) is quite congested. Yes, we have some beautiful parks, historic sites, and monuments but... in between are all these houses, and shopping centers, and malls, and roads, and industrial parks, and cities, and towns, and... well, you get the idea.

Unless there are several caches all in one park (and most of our parks are too small for that), I don't think the average cacher has much of a chance of bagging more than six or so in one day.

I say average because there are folks who manage to do twelve or more. I think it was mentioned on another, earlier thread, that CCCooperAgency managed to hit about a dozen just the other day, and most of them were darn near right in my back yard... so I know it can be done.

PS. Just noticed that this post is a blast from the past brought back up by malak, but it might be interesting to revisit this subject and see if anyone's opinions have changed... Dave? Did you slow down?

Guest Snowtrail

quote:
Originally posted by Cache-potato:

Hey, did I mention what a great state to hide a cache West Virginia is?

I am -hoping- to go skiing soon in the great state of WV, but I can't really manage the caches that well from NC. I may try with the disclaimer that once two people can't find the cache, it will be archived.

Found 5 in a day in Virginia over Christmas.

This is starting to sound like Micky and the Giant (Gulliver's Travels) "Killed 5 in one swipe, I did!"

Guest barondriver

I and my wife did 8 in one day, a couple of days ago in Kansas..we started at 8am and were done by 8pm..had a real good time..saw places that we hope to visit again when it's warmer..and didn't get too tired.

Guest blscearce

Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iron Chef:

It's hard to do more than that sometimes because of the price of gas and the insane parking costs that some of the parks around here have.

For someone who does even a moderate amount of geocaching, it is probably worthwhile to buy a park pass.

At the risk of making this posting too local to be useful: in my area (near Oakland, California), the East Bay Regional Parks District sells an annual membership for $30 -- most of the parks cost $4 to park in when the kiosk is manned. I could probably hit 100 caches within 30 miles of my house all within EBRPD parks.

Iron Chef, if you're visiting a lot of California State Parks, the price of an 2002 pass is $35 (down from $70 last year). I didn't buy one in 2001, because there's really only one good local park that's a State Park (Mt. Diablo), but I think I'll get one this year.

Guest kablooey

Well, for unemployed people and students, $30 still seems like a bit of money. I can eat for at least a week on that. I've done seven in a day twice (eight on one of the trips if you count a visit to one I had previously found in order to extract a TB). Both of those days included a couple of longish hikes; so I can see how it would be easy to get over a dozen if you stick to lower-rated caches if you're lucky enough to be in an area where they exist.

Guest blscearce

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

Well, for unemployed people and students, $30 still seems like a bit of money.

Of course, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that $30/year is cheaper than $4 every weekend. And some park systems that sell annual passes sell them for a calendar year, so now would be the time to buy them to get the maximum benefit.

Guest JAMCC47
Originally posted by ClayJar:

I want to find a challenging cache that may take even up to a whole day

Come to Colorado - Try the "Gray Diamond Ghost Trail" Zip code of 80537 I guarntee that it will take most of the day. Check it out. The owner will even go along with you just for the giggles of watching people walk in circles. He has been known to sit in the hills with glasses and watch you bust your hump, then shows up at the Cache just when you find it.

------------------

JoseCanUSea

Guest tecmage

Our best day was 17. We stopped in the middle of the day for an hour, to hit the Geocaching site to find other caches near our current geocaching location (Kansas City).

Ended the day with a three hour drive home.

Richard and Tracy

Guest pater47

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Now if I can only get my backup sound man to fill in for me next Sunday at church, I can head somewhere where I can find a */3.5 or above. Any suggestions for a 3.5+ terrain cache within a day's drive of Baton Rouge, LA? (I don't have any special equipment for a 5, but I want to find a challenging cache that may take even up to a whole day.)[/b]

ClayJar, the "Old Fort" cache in NE MS is listed as a 4.5 terrain, but I would've rated it about 3. Two approaches to it, depending on your route. I took the quick route going in, which took less than 20 minutes (10 of which were spent catching my breath :0 ). I took the long way out which took about 45 minutes with quick rests. Ropes wouldn't be absolutely essential but would come in handy. Fortunately, the long route already has the ropes in place.(No actual "mountain" climbing - just to help you keep your balance going up and down the ravines) By the way, this cache has been there several months and only been "hit" twice. On the subject of this thread, I managed to hit 10% of all the caches in the entire state of Mississippi in one day (of course though there's only 30 caches in the state! icon_wink.gif

Guest Show Me The Cache

There is no way that I am going to admit that on 11/01/01 I drove 275 miles to St Louis, logged 18 caches, and failed on 5 others. It sounds too deranged.