Cache Placement Ideas

I am looking to start placing caches, now that I have a few under my belt.

I am collecting "cache placement ideas" - ideas that go a little beyond the simple idea of providing coordinates to a cache.

What "hooks" have been employed on Geocache trips that you have enjoyed?

To get this thread going, I will tell you of one placed by the legendary Duc996 in this area:

IDEA:

Following the coordinates lead to a bus stop in my residential neighborhood. I looked all around, and could find no micro-caches. Then I looked under the bus stop bench. There was a laminated print-out taped underneath, in

code, and printed in reverse. I happened to have a mirror and a tape recorder with me (gadget freak that I am), so I read the code into my tape

recorder using military alpha-code (able, baker, charlie, etc) while viewing it in my mirror through the perforated bench seat. I did not have to lie down in the dirt, with my legs poking into traffic. It took a few hours to decode, using resources found on the Internet (I gave the job to my wife, the resident crypto-analyst). The text described the next and final stage

of the cache, which was on a particularly steep mountain. The cache is filled with foreign currency.

So how about it? Will you tell us of some neat ideas you have seen?

http://home.earthlink.net/~rschoolf/geocaching.htm

We've talked recently about whether it would be useful to add a "rating" system to caches (similar to the one done here on the discussion threads)...but the consensus seems to be that there are too many variables to make it objective enough to be of any use. But your post sparked another idea: What if we had a contest for "most fun and/or creative" cache? Anyone could nominate any cache (with the nominee's name listed, in order to keep everyone honest)...and then it would be put on a list that people could vote on.

In addition to the 'contest' part of it...the entire list would be a handy place to get ideas for things that people enjoy...and great for sparking new ideas for people like yourself who want to place a unique and creative cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

But your post sparked another idea: What if we had a contest for "most fun and/or creative" cache? Anyone could nominate any cache (with the nominee's name listed, in order to keep everyone honest)...and then it would be put on a list that people could vote on.

sound interesting but...

depending one how big the area your taking nominations from, wouldnt it be slanted toward creative caches in populated areas?

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

wouldnt it be slanted toward creative caches in populated areas?

What if, instead of a contest, we just had an "Honorable Mention" page, where people could nominate? No votes would be tallied, but people could give recognition to the caches they especially liked. The last 10 or so could be shown on the main page, with a link to a list of all the previous nominees.

Besides, I would hope that people would vote on ones they thought "sounded" good from the description...not just those they had personally visited. (But I still like the non-contest idea anyway...less room for hurt feelings.)

quote:

What if, instead of a contest, we just had an "Honorable Mention" page, where people could nominate? No votes would be tallied, but people could give recognition to the caches they especially liked. The last 10 or so could be shown on the main page, with a link to a list of all the previous nominees.

Besides, I would hope that people would vote on ones they thought "sounded" good from the description...not just those they had personally visited. (But I still like the non-contest idea anyway...less room for hurt feelings.)

but then youll end up with thousand of mentions, wouldnt you?? or at least a few hundred. Are you going to link them all? or sift them out to find the better mentions?

(I would hope that people would vote on ones they thought "sounded" good)<< i didnt realize that you didnt have to actually make a visit to the site to nominate or vote for it icon_razz.gif

quote:

but then youll end up with thousand of mentions, wouldnt you?? or at least a few hundred. Are you going to link them all? or sift them out to find the better mentions?

(I would hope that people would vote on ones they thought "sounded" good)<< i didnt realize that you didnt have to actually make a visit to the site to nominate or vote for it icon_razz.gif

In my area (zip code 97701), there are a lot of multi-stage caches. Of these, several use information from landmarks and points of interest to solve math problems, ect., which in-turn give coordinates and/or other clues.

Central Oregon Urban Cache, Pilot Butte Cache, and Quad Dam It Run Around Cache (I'm in the middle of doing this one right now) are some that come to mind.

D&P

quote:

but then youll end up with thousand of mentions, wouldnt you?? or at least a few hundred. Are you going to link them all?

Sure, why not? There are thousands of messages saved here on this forum page. Why can't we do the same thing for a list of cache links? (Or maybe we just have a scrolling list of the most recent 50 or something. How do the New Cache List and the Recent Travel Bug Activity lists work?)

quote:
or sift them out to find the better mentions?

Which are 'better' is a subjective choice. In the poll I followed up my note here with, I mentioned that it would be great if we could have a way to filter the long list...like by state, by cache owner, or by nominee, etc. (And yes, I realize all of that is work. But hey, it doesn't hurt to have a wish list. With all that money Jeremy's going to be raking in, he'll likely be hiring assistants, right? icon_wink.gif)

quote:

I've seen many examples of caches (for example, ones mentioned here on these discussion threads) that sound very creative, and I think deserve a public "atta boy". If one of the main goals is to give people idea sparkers for what makes a good cache, I think caches from all over could be valid examples. (On the other hand, if a cache is nominated, not for its cleverness with clues or theme, but for the great views or something that you have to see or experience first hand to appreciate...it wouldn't make sense to vote on it without having made a visit.) Those kinds of issues are exactly why I decided that a simple "Honorable Mention" system would be more practical (and easier to implement) than a competition for "Overall Favorite Cache".

quote:

but then youll end up with thousand of mentions, wouldnt you?? or at least a few hundred. Are you going to link them all?

Sure, why not? There are thousands of messages saved here on this forum page. Why can't we do the same thing for a list of cache links? (Or maybe we just have a scrolling list of the most recent 50 or something. How do the New Cache List and the Recent Travel Bug Activity lists work?)

quote:
or sift them out to find the better mentions?

Which are 'better' is a subjective choice. In the poll I followed up my note here with, I mentioned that it would be great if we could have a way to filter the long list...like by state, by cache owner, or by nominee, etc. (And yes, I realize all of that is work. But hey, it doesn't hurt to have a wish list. With all that money Jeremy's going to be raking in, he'll likely be hiring assistants, right? icon_wink.gif)

quote:

I've seen many examples of caches (for example, ones mentioned here on these discussion threads) that sound very creative, and I think deserve a public "atta boy". If one of the main goals is to give people idea sparkers for what makes a good cache, I think caches from all over could be valid examples. (On the other hand, if a cache is nominated, not for its cleverness with clues or theme, but for the great views or something that you have to see or experience first hand to appreciate...it wouldn't make sense to vote on it without having made a visit.) Those kinds of issues are exactly why I decided that a simple "Honorable Mention" system would be more practical (and easier to implement) than a competition for "Overall Favorite Cache".