Mapblast changes

Guest JSB-1958

Guest JSB-1958

About a week ago I noticed that the Mapblast site (that the maps for geocaching.com are linked to) now requires registration.

Does anyone know if this is a pre-cursor to making mapblast a pay site? I hope not -- they have enough sponsors and pop-up screens, that it looks like it ought to be well-paid for. So far, I haven't got an answer from them.

Guest martinp13

Now it's worse... Excite is serving the maps, and one of their image servers (eimg.com) hangs getting thru a firewall. They've had this problem for over a year (it's the main reason I left my.excite.com and went to iwon.com), have acknowledged it, and haven't fixed it.

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest martinp13

Jeremy:

Is there any reason you're using Excite for the maps? Does Mapblast now force you to get in that way?

The new mechanism stinks, and I don't like the map results. icon_frown.gif Bleah!

------------------

> Martin

Guest martinp13

Jeremy:

Is there any reason you're using Excite for the maps? Does Mapblast now force you to get in that way?

The new mechanism stinks, and I don't like the map results. icon_frown.gif Bleah!

------------------

> Martin

Guest T-storm

I'm guessing it's because when he links through Excite, you don't have to have a MapBlast profile and login. If you go directly to MapBlast rather than through the Excite backdoor, you must login to see the map. Between the userid and login requirements and the endless pop-up window ads, I don't look at MapBlast directly anymore...

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest CharlieP

I am in agreement with Martinp13, the Excite map routine is very difficult to use, does not pan or set target in a logical manner, realigns the map when it goes to the print format, and the print page is poorly formatted. Yuck. Does anyone know of a better map routine that would work for this?

FWIW,

CharlieP

Guest Artful Dodger

By default, there is no map on the cache page for caches placed outside the USA. I noticed that clicking the Excite! Map link on the cache page DOES INDEED bring up the coordinate location for foreign caches.

Jeremy, couldn't the Excite! Map be used on the cache page with the appropriate zoom level for foreign caches? It would seem to be a better alternative than the blank space currently there?

...just a thought.

Dodger

quote:
Originally posted by Artful Dodger:

Jeremy, couldn't the Excite! Map be used on the cache page with the appropriate zoom level for foreign caches? It would seem to be a better alternative than the blank space currently there?

Sorry, no. You need to pay licensing fees to show those maps on the web site.

Jeremy

Guest Artful Dodger

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Sorry, no. You need to pay licensing fees to show those maps on the web site.

Jeremy

AH, ok. Gotcha! Thanks for the quick response.

Guest mrgigabyte

quote:

By default, there is no map on the cache page for caches placed outside the USA.

On a similar note, caches located outside the US also include links to "Topo Zone - topographical maps" and "Microsoft Terra Server - satellite photos".

Following these links produces beautiful blank maps. In fact, the one for Topozone is particularly informative. Here is sample from a followed link from a local cache... http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?u=1&lat=49.2576&mapit=Map+It&lon=-122.818567&size=s&s=25

Would it be possible to just not have these links displayed at all on the cache page if the country where the cache is located is NOT the USA?