Who needs a GPRS?

Guest progun

My wife and I found two caches today without ever turning our GPSR on.

We went to a park in the Tucson area that we have been planning on leaving our first cache at today to plant it, and while hiking in the area to find a suitable place, we found two caches, left by the same person, marked with www.geocaching.com within 15 yards of each other. The problem was that neither of these caches were even hidden, just sat right in the middle of the trail.

Neither cache is listed on www.geocaching.com so there is no way to contact the owner of the cache, and there is no e-mail address in the cache. According to the log book, both have been found in the past, and the caches were placed on the 19th of October. Both were also started with only one item with a logbook, in pretty flimsy plastic containers.

Needless to say I was somewhat upset to find that someone had beat me to the park to place a cache, but the more I thought about it, the thing that has me more upset is the careless way in which these caches were placed. I can see where this is going to give cachers a really bad name.

It is very possible that these caches were stolen or disturbed by someone other than a geocacher and thrown away where you found them.

I would make an attempt to contact the cache owners if there is any way to identify them and let them know of the situation.

You may try to check the cache logs for your area by date(Around October 19) or if there is a cache name - log onto the website and do a "keyword" search to see if it has been archived. I am not sure if the "keyword" search works for archived caches, but I know that it works for the cache ID numbers. It is possible that it was recently stolen and the cache owner has already archived it.

Also if there is a cache owners name - you can e-mail Jeremy and he can try to contact the owners.

[This message has been edited by navdog (edited 27 October 2001).]

I have been keeping an eye on all the new caches in the Tucson area, there aren't that many, and there are no caches listed for the area that these are in. We had been planning on placing our first cache there since my wife and I got into this.

Given the data in the log book, it looks like this might have been caches placed for a special event, as they have been found be "team 3" and "team 4". I suspect that there might me more in the area, but only found these two. I think the fact that there were 2 caches within 15 yards of each other might support this.

I would still love to hide a cache in this area, but don't want to do it while these are out there. I have also posted a message on an Arizona listserve about this.

Of course I now have to find a new place to place my first cache, which will also contain my first travel bug.