GPS+Noise=??

I have, for years, been long distance bicycle touring with a GPS. I noticed that when a motorcyle or a loud truck would pass me, my GPS would shut down. At fisrt I thought it might be due to low batteries but it kept happening consistently.

After I started geocaching, and checking out the various forums, I saw a comment using GPS and noise in the same sentence.

Does noise actually affect a GPS, and why?

I suppose it could effect the electonics of the unit if the noise were loud enough (due to the vibration). But that's not exactly GPSr specific. I don't think noise would effect a GPSr any differently than any other electronic device.

Can you reproduce this problem consistantly? What type of unit? Where'd you see that comment?

Check to see if your GPSr has a battery cover that allows the batteries to move around a little. Also check if the spring contacts might be allowing a battery to move a little causing it to come away from the contacts. You can try putting a thin piece of foam over the batteries to help keep them in place.

If this doesn't have any effect, then it is probably a bad solder joint inside the GPSr. Most likely I'd send it it for factory repair if it's still under warranty, or take it back to the store where you bought it and exchange it if they have a good return policy and it hasn't been a long time since you bought it. If it were mine personally, I'd open it up and see if there were any bad connections, but I have about 30 years of electronics experience.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

It’s hard to say for sure what the posting you reference was talking about. It’s possible it was talking about background electrical signals, often referred to as “noise” For example, those satellite signal strength bars are actually depicting the signal to noise ratio. Many electronic and electrical devices emit signals that can and sometimes do interfere with GPS reception. Noise in the audible spectrum really shouldn’t cause any problems however, unless as mentioned it somehow shakes things up enough to cause problems. Being as how you’re on a bike however, I can’t imagine that the noise would cause problems when the road vibration wasn’t.

if you only notice it when certain vehicles pass it could also be the type of spark plug installed in the vehicle. newer resistor type plugs were designed to eliminate background 'noise', but i couldnt say for sure if it is of the right frequency to affect the gps though.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'