New Mexico Forest Restrictions

Information for Geocachers, or just hikers:

Because of the on-going drought in New Mexico, limitations have been placed on a number of New Mexico Forests. These run from "no open camp fires" (Gila National Forest) to total closures (Santa Fe National Forest). These limitations change quite often. You may want to check things out before you depart for your hike.

For closure information, you can go to:

http://www.publiclands.org/html/home.html

Once there, do a "Recreation Search" on "New Mexico", and then click the "News" link on the new window.

You can also call the "Fire Restrictions" toll free number at 1-877-864-6985. Or you can logon onto:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/fire

Once there click on the "Fire Information" link, then on the "Fire Restrictions and Closures Link"

quote:
Originally posted by Broken Wing:

You can also call the "Fire Restrictions" toll free number at 1-877-864-6985.

Call the Ranger District you are planning to visit.

I called the toll-free number above last week and was told the campground we planned to visit was included in a National Forest closure here in Arizona.

We checked the website and didn't think the campground was included. The information we received from calling the number above was incorrect. A quick call to the appropriate Ranger District confirmed that the campground was, indeed, open. They also said that your calls may go to a call center where they don't have the most up-to-date information...or they may have no idea where you're asking about.

I'm glad I called the Ranger District. May have cost me a dollar or two but we had a great camping weekend!

sun_smiley.gif