Where not to cache!

Guest zoedog

Guest zoedog

I know this could be some work, but I would rather see this than some of the other things that have been talked about. How about a databse of areas that should not be cached? I know of one in my area (north of Columbus Ohio) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1989 I have emailed this guy to archive it last week and he has not. It is a bad place to go. I have two parks that I want to ask for permission for and would think that it would be cool to have a go/no go on a park on here. And as time goes one mabey parks that here about this sport will give their no/go on it as well. I would hate to see someone going into a park and get nailed for waring a geocaching teeshirt, hat ect and not knowing the area is off limits. I know you are really busy but would be willing to maintan a db for OH. I know ASP I dono if that helps. Just an Idea.

Zoedog

Guest cavetoad

What's wrong with this place? Can you give some details so that the rest of us can use it for a guideline. The cache page doesn't look too bad. I'm not from there so I can't just see the problem.

Is it dangerous ( bodies, needles, crack pipes ), or seedy ( known 'pick up' area ), or just dirty and gross?

Also, in terms of being 'nailed' for wearing a geocaching shirt or hat, the game and logo are so obscure to the public still that there's no reason to expect that someone would recognize it and nail put the two togerher. Its the GPS unit that will give you away, not the shirt.

Guest bwware

cavetoad said: What's wrong with this place? Can you give some details so that the rest of us can use it for a guideline. The cache page doesn't look too bad. I'm not from there so I can't just see the problem.

You need to read the logs from this cache and find out that people have been given tickets for geocaching there. Just got back from a caching trip to Columbus and this one WAS on my list of ones to do until I read the logs!

Bill

The Cinci Cachers

Guest zoedog

bwware is right, if you read the log you will see that the cache has been taken by the rangers of that park. And a geocahcer was given a $50 ticket for trying to find it. The Point of the shirt is if you are going into somewhere you don?t know that you are supposed to be and have a red flag on your back that says "I am a geocacher " Its a bit more obvious than just holding a GPS. If you were to read a bit more be for responding you would under stand that my point is to have a page that says "hey look here before placing a cache in your area so you don?t get in trouble(even though you should ask, but if you are hunting it you dont know if the placer ask or not!)."

Zoedog

Guest wildman

I would suggest a couple things. One, the person placing the cache should indicate that the cache was placed with permission. I assume it was not placed with permission if it does not say so. I know, they could lie. Second, I would not look for a cache anywhere that I was not certain that it was at least on public land. I doubt that the mere looking for a specific coordinate would be deemed illegal. It is what you do on the way, and when you get there that matters. As far as I know it isn't illegal to carry or use a GPS. SOunds like the location in question here, once they knew of it, they used it as an opportunity to collect some fines. If it wasn't public property, the searchers should have known. If it was public property, all the officials had to do was remove the cache, end of story.

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by zoedog:

And a geocahcer was given a $50 ticket for trying to find it.

Are you saying that someone was given a ticket simply for have a GPS unit in their possession?

Guest CaptHawke

quote:
Originally posted by c.mathis:

Are you saying that someone was given a ticket simply for have a GPS unit in their possession?

Not simply a GPS....they were also carrying an unregistered Nerf football!

Guest ClayJar

quote:

How about a databse of areas that should not be cached?

I hereby slap myself soundly on the wrists for not getting on the ball. I've got the project in the design phase, and I'll get back on it right away. (It's the Geocaching Authorization Database, GCAD, by the way, and I'll post more once I get a bit of development code slapped up.)

I'll see if I can get the rudiments down this weekend (although the prettiness will have to come later). If you want to have input, e-mail me.

Guest bunkerdave

I would fight that ticket tooth and nail if it were given to me. Even IF geocaching were illegal, what is the crime committed by the seeker? Walking in the park? If anyone is to be given a ticket, it HAS to be the person placing the cache. The hunters of the cache are just walking. The fact that they are looking for it is irrelevant. I wish they had given that ticket to me - you all know I love a good legislative battle. I would KILL to be given a ticket for wearing a T-shirt or Hat - can you say First Amendment? Wow. I can't believe the ranger was stupid enough to write that ticket. I wonder how long it would take the ACLU to jump on that case like stink on.... icon_smile.gif ?

I may not have all the facts, and guilty seldon give them all, but if the cacher was in fact just walking and got the ticket, I hope they didn't just pay it. This is how due process gets started and bad laws get changed.

Guest bunkerdave

I would fight that ticket tooth and nail if it were given to me. Even IF geocaching were illegal, what is the crime committed by the seeker? Walking in the park? If anyone is to be given a ticket, it HAS to be the person placing the cache. The hunters of the cache are just walking. The fact that they are looking for it is irrelevant. I wish they had given that ticket to me - you all know I love a good legislative battle. I would KILL to be given a ticket for wearing a T-shirt or Hat - can you say First Amendment? Wow. I can't believe the ranger was stupid enough to write that ticket. I wonder how long it would take the ACLU to jump on that case like stink on.... icon_smile.gif ?

I may not have all the facts, and guilty seldon give them all, but if the cacher was in fact just walking and got the ticket, I hope they didn't just pay it. This is how due process gets started and bad laws get changed.

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

s that should not be cached? I know of one in my area (north of Columbus Ohio) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1989 I have emailed this guy to archive it last week and he has not. It is a bad place to go.

Can this be followed up on? Was this a town park or county park? Out of curiosity - what was the fine for??? I imagine trespassing. If not then what?

Can we get the whole story, please, pretty please?

Guest spiny norman

quote:
Originally posted by leskowitz:

Here is a cache that I am questioning. www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4879 It is on the grounds of Rice University, a nice private school. I felt like a crook looking for it so I gave up, I vowed never to go again, though tempting. Put private schools down as a no no cache site especially ones with cops driving around.

I'm no lawyer but if the person placing the cache were a registered student, could'nt placing the coordinates on the net be considered an invitation? Anyone know?

Was there a sign at the entrance that states that it is private property, Faculty, Students and vendors only?

[This message has been edited by spiny norman (edited 15 August 2001).]

Guest Pat in Louisiana

I wish we could get more details on this Ohio Cache. I could see getting a ticket if the seeker was in a restricted area or off of the approved trails. If not how could he/she be ticketed for using a public park?

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then"

Jimmy Buffet

Guest prv8eye

quote:

bwware is right, if you read the log you will see that the cache has been taken by the rangers of that park. And a geocahcer was given a $50 ticket for trying to find it./B]

Somewhere, something must have gotten lost in the translation of this story.

A "ticket" or citation can only be issued for a violation of a statute or ordinance and the statute number must be clearly written on the citation.

An officer can't just write up a ticket and write "looking for a cache in the park".

After you leave a cache, or something in a cache, you might be cited for littering, being in a restricted area or stomping some protected plant, but not just for LOOKING for something on public land.

If you're confronted by an officer ask, politely, what specific statute you are violating. An officer can not enforce a law that doesn't exist simply because he thinks it should, though, once in a while, some will try.

Being a former cop, I know for a fact that most cops don't know the elements of every statute on the books, except for the major ones. It's not humanly possible with all the $#@$%# laws.

But don't let them intimidate you with vague answers, ask, POLITELY, for the specific statute. He's not required to give you chapter and verse, but if he's unsure he's more likely to "let you off with a warning".

Also, keep in mind, that in order to violate a statute or ordinance your actions must meet EVERY element of the "crime". One element of most crimes, usually the hardest to prove, is intent.

Of course, you could run across Ranger Barney Fife, the guy who issues citations for Snipe hunting

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest leskowitz

quote:
Originally posted by spiny norman:

I'm no lawyer but if the person placing the cache were a registered student, could'nt placing the coordinates on the net be considered an invitation? Anyone know?

Was there a sign at the entrance that states that it is private property, Faculty, Students and vendors only?

[This message has been edited by spiny norman (edited 15 August 2001).]

There was no sign at the entrance but to give you a feel of the atmosphere it would be like placing a cache at Harvard.

Guest Cucumber Jones

This was mentioned recently in the "Strange" forum: Busted in Boston.

It sounds like they can fine us on the basis of "treasure huntin" in a National/Federal/County/State/Water/Etc. park. Much like a metal detector might prod the ground looking for "archeological remains" (read: barber dimes). The whole thing makes me not only nervous, but disappointed. Why would you fine someone for participating in a realatively non-evasive sport which encourages people to go outside and reap the benefits of our parks??? It so absurd.

[This message has been edited by Cucumber Jones (edited 18 August 2001).]

Guest AmeliaPhoto

stioned whether hiking the trail was allowed and urged discretion.

The ticket was for "criminal tresspass". Obviously, this was not an "authorized trail".

Perhaps an argument of "entrapment" might be made, but all the necessary details of the grounds for the ticket are right there in the description.

How do y'all ever find caches if you can't/won't read a description closer than that?

Guest dustystar

quote:

How do y'all ever find caches if you can't/won't read a description closer than that? [/b]

Good point. Not everyone that can type make good geocachers. Now let's try that wink thing again. icon_wink.gif

Guest dustystar

quote:

How do y'all ever find caches if you can't/won't read a description closer than that? [/b]

Good point. Not everyone that can type make good geocachers. Now let's try that wink thing again. icon_wink.gif