GeoFlagging Demystified

Guest Blindman

Guest Blindman

~DragonKing~ and I are setting up a GeoFlagging game this weekend. All locals are invited to play (while supplies last). Here is a copy of the rule sheet to review:

GeoFlagging

Steal the flag is one of the great, traditional American games. We?ve spent time to adapt a simplified version of this game to geocaching for two teams of five players each. The flags are travel bugs and the playing field is all the caches located within a twenty mile radius from the registration cache, as labeled on geocaching.com search results list (so each player will need transportation). Non-players and former players can visit the caches for logs, though nothing is there for trades. We hope you enjoy this new combination of games we?ve dubbed GeoFlagging.

Object of the Game:

The game is won when a team steals both of the enemy?s flags and places them in their own home cache. The team should log the flags? pages with the names of their team members and the news of their glorious victory.

Getting Started:

• Find the registration cache to choose a team and sign up to play the game
  • Email me the code word from the cache to confirm your registration
  • We will send out an email to start the game. When you get it, go to the home cache and pick up your tag. You must wear your tag at all times when you are out playing the game in public. The only exception is when you are picking up your own tag from a cache (see ?Getting Out of Jail?).
  • You have 3 days from that start email to get your flag from your team?s home cache before the other team can come to that cache looking for it.
  • You cannot go to your opponent?s home cache (except right after the 3 day grace period at the very beginning of the game).

Enemy Territory:

The general area of the cache where one of the enemy?s flags is hidden. This changes as the flag moves.

Sending a Player to Jail:

• Players can only be captured in enemy territory
  • Both of you must be wearing your tags
  • Get the opponent?s attention and tell them they are captured
  • They will then give you their tag
  • Hide their tag in a cache anywhere in the playing field
  • Post the name of the cache where the tag is hidden on the player?s home cache page
  • Captured players cannot play until they are out of jail
  • Tags cannot be moved from cache to cache

Getting Out of Jail:

• A captured player can get their own tag back from the cache where it was hidden
  • A teammate can also get the tag(s) back for a captured player or players and can return the tag(s) to them through the home cache or some other way.

Moving a Flag:

A flag has to be logged the same day it is removed from a cache and must be hidden again within three days. A player can get one of their own flags from any cache. When placing one of their flags, however, a player can only place it in one of two types of caches within the playing field (the flag cannot be hidden in a home cache):

• A cache which the player has never found before, or
  • A cache placed and posted by the player for the current game round (see Creating a Cache)

Creating a Cache:

No more than ten total caches can be created by each team for use in the game and must be:

• Approved and posted on the website within 3 days of taking it from another cache and
  • None can be more difficult than a 3/3 except:

1. One can have a 5 rating for difficulty or terrain (i.e., 3/5 or 5/3)
  2. One can have a 4 rating for difficulty or terrain (i.e., 3/4 or 4/3)

Communication Between Players:

• Cannot disclose the location of flag before posting it
  • No subversive planning (i.e., taking a flag at the same time as a teammember drops it off, or saying something like, ?I?m going to drop the flag off at 3:00, so you might want to pick it up around 3:30.?)
  • If you have any questions during play, post them on the registration cache page and we?ll reply quickly.

------------------

My boy, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

[This message has been edited by Blindman (edited 20 February 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Blindman (edited 20 February 2002).]

Guest madphatboy2

Are you going to post the registration on the webpage?

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest Blindman

quote:
Originally posted by madphatboy2:

Are you going to post the registration on the webpage?

If you're asking if we will post the players on each team, we are thinking no. When we send out the start email, each player will be given a list of the players on their team (along with email addresses). But we wanted to leave the competition a little more ambiguous. Although, there will be a list available in the cache until the teams are full. We want to keep the list approach to help players decide which team they want to be on.

If you can give me any ideas about that, they are welcome. I guess if a player doesn't mind the competition knowing what team they are on, there's nothing preventing them from including that in their log on the registration cache page.

If that's not what you were trying to ask, then let me know I missed the point and rephrase your question.

------------------

Guest madphatboy2

You missed the point. *stated dryly* What I meant was, just like a cache, are you going to post the coords on the website of where to find the registration cache? Or are you just going let us find it on our own?

------------------

MPB2

I wander from here to there looking for. . .my mind? And then I find it in the cache.

Guest Blindman

quote:
Originally posted by madphatboy2:

You missed the point.

I thought I was probably doing that... Yeah, we are placing the registration cache tomorrow and posting it no later than tomorrow night. We hope it turns up in the results lists by Friday to give people a chance to hit it this weekend. It's just a regular cache and will stay there after it has served the purpose for the registrations. Maybe I'll even throw some stuff in to trade. Small stuff...

------------------