Where on Web can find true coord. to any U.S. Address?

Guest HdtP

Guest ClayJar

Also, note that MapBlast displays the coordinates for the icon on the map. If you want to find coordinates for different things (like an intersection or whatever), be sure you're moving the icon.

Guest WaylandersMA

In MapBlast, if you click on the long/lat it will convert from,

deg/min/sec <-> digital degrees

Close, but not a match to geaocaching deg/digital minutes.

Mentioning not so obvious: the best converter is your GPSR which you can switch to what needs to be inputted, tap it in, and switch to your favorite.

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by Tomebug:

The coordinates on map blast and the other map page mentioned are different than what my gps uses (datum?). How do I convert?

Example: 41.024345 -88.017561

Let's use Lat (41.024345)

Take off the whole numbers (41) negatives are south and west, positives are north and east)

Take the remainder (0.024345) and multiply by 60 (1.4607)

Your degree/minutes would be N41° 01.461 (rounded)

Try it with the hypothetical longitude, and you should get W088° 01.054.

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 07 November 2001).]

Guest GeoForse

Keep in mind, guys, that there is not some large database that has every address in the U.S. of A. stored to give you an exact lat/lon when you enter an address. All such address lookups use algorithms to determine location. Address assignments by local jurisdictions is far from uniform across the country. These factors may conspire against you. These algorithms do a reasonable job, but are by no means exact. WYS is not always WYG. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by GeoForse (edited 08 November 2001).]

Guest GeoForse

Keep in mind, guys, that there is not some large database that has every address in the U.S. of A. stored to give you an exact lat/lon when you enter an address. All such address lookups use algorithms to determine location. Address assignments by local jurisdictions is far from uniform across the country. These factors may conspire against you. These algorithms do a reasonable job, but are by no means exact. WYS is not always WYG. icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by GeoForse (edited 08 November 2001).]

Guest Ramness570

ding an address with the GPS the other day on the way to class work sent me to about 40 miles away. I got the cords from map blast and directions from expedia. Driving along the directions said to go right (west) then 2 miles later turn left (north) well duh can turn west then go left again for north, but while driving at 7am I didn?t realize this till it was to late. So im watching the pointer point behind me while the ?distance? increases. Think to myself ?screw this lets go geocaching? so just started following the pointer and when I turned in to the driveway of the school it read 189? away, close enough for me!

------------------

Brian & TabascoX

Senior Member Southeast Xterra Club

Geocaching since October 2000.

Ok so here is a twist on this topic, we have already found a place that will allow you to find LAT/LON by inputing an address...

What about a place that you can input LAT/LON and find a location? Or can that only be done on the purchased software?

Taz

quote:
Originally posted by taztwr:

Ok so here is a twist on this topic, we have already found a place that will allow you to find LAT/LON by inputing an address...

What about a place that you can input LAT/LON and find a location? Or can that only be done on the purchased software?

Taz

MapQuest will let you enter coordinates and it generates a map. Go to the home page, click on Maps, then Latitude/Longitude.

Ralph

Guest glenn95630

I have had to 'search' for this thread a couple times. I aploogize for bringing it to the top again, but I will probably need to find it again in the future.

Keywords: USAPhotomaps USAPhotomap USPhotomaps USPhotomap glennglenn