Thanks Jeremy!

Guest turken

Guest turken

I dunno if anyone has said much about it yet, but I just wanted to take a moment to thank Jeremy for all the work he puts into making this site as good as it is. It seems that every week there is some new feature or tweaking done to make things easier to navigate or more informative and helpful. I also like the fact that many suggestions that are given in the forums are quickly implemented on the webpage. Again, thanks for all the work you've put into this. It really makes caching a whole lot more fun and friendly.

Guest VisorNewbie

I'll second that one. I just found out about this site 5 days ago and I've already gone on 3 hunts and I dont even have a GPS unit yet. That explains why I've only had 1 success icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for a great site and thanks to all fellow Geocachers for helping this community grow. I finally have a good reason to get outside more.

Guest VisorNewbie

I'll second that one. I just found out about this site 5 days ago and I've already gone on 3 hunts and I dont even have a GPS unit yet. That explains why I've only had 1 success icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for a great site and thanks to all fellow Geocachers for helping this community grow. I finally have a good reason to get outside more.

Guest charlesml

You are the king! Before I knew about geocaching, I just left my GPS cooking in the glove compartment for 2 years and hardly ever did a thing. (well, may be once in couple months when i hook it up to my laptop and go somewhere)

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

Here's an idea to show support:

Official Geocaching Membership Kit

AWESOME idea! I'm sure that there would be a lot of takers, me for one! Another suggestion for the kit: a sticker or set of stickers with the logo.

I also want to praise and thank Jeremy for the work he has accomplished on the site. It is outstanding, and really adds to the sense of community.

Guest Anton

Bumpersticker? Hmm...

Don't like my driving?

Call 1-GEO-CACHING

I Brake for Geo-Caches!

Geo-Cachers

Play Hide & Seek!

Hitch a Ride on a Satellite:

Go Geo-Caching!

Have GPS. Will Travel.

Geo-Cacher

GPS: Geo-Cachers Play with Satellites!

Jeremy Irish for President

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest MadGPS

quote:

And if you really want to help, you can manage this whole operation under Jeremy's supervision, eh? (Speak Canadian?) Eh!

Anton

Yup !! I speak Canadian !! I AM CANADIAN !! icon_biggrin.gif

Thumbs up Jeremy.Keep it up icon_wink.gif

Jude

Guest MadGPS

quote:

And if you really want to help, you can manage this whole operation under Jeremy's supervision, eh? (Speak Canadian?) Eh!

Anton

Yup !! I speak Canadian !! I AM CANADIAN !! icon_biggrin.gif

Thumbs up Jeremy.Keep it up icon_wink.gif

Jude

Guest Uplink

You know, beyond sending my thanks to Jeremy, I must say that I greatly admire just how well everything on the website works. The thing is massively interactive, because we are all building it on the fly useing the tools Jeremy is creating for us, and it all works great. Geocaching lives in the physical world and in Cyberspace at the same time. I'm impressed!

I don't know how fast the bandwith requirements of this site are growing, but there may come a time when we can't rely on the munificence of Jeremy's employer to keep our hobby going. As much as it chokes me to advocate creating an organization, what would we do if geocaching.com needed a new server or bandwith infusion? I think that enough of us would be seriously bummed if geocaching.com went bye-bye that we need a more formal method to infuse cash - an organiation of SOME sort - to support.

Remember, geocaching has only been around for a year, and could easily grow 100% in the next year. If there is going to be a long term, what do we need to do about it? T-shirts and hats are only going to go so far...

Guest fire23

Thanks alot Jeremy! Thanks to the sport and especially your website, I have come out of a deep rut of depression. I actually have something to look forward to every weekend. If I'm not finding caches, I'm planning or hiding one. It's also given my entire family, including my parents some time together.

If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Guest bunkerdave

I have only been at this for a little less than a month, but it has crossed my mind that it can't stay free forever. Looking at the increase in the number of GeoCaches, it occurs to me that a small membership fee for players might not be unreasonable. It would be adequate to let players play a few caches for free, and then they could get full access for a nominal fee. Not everyone will be as addicted as I am, but I would pay $15-20 for the privilege of using the site.

Guest Dan Bollinger

Thanks, Jeremy! You are an html wizard and dadgum fine graphic designer, too! That's a rare combindation (left and right brain and all that). Keep up the great work, you are the keystone in this adventure.

Guest Peter Scholtz

t this for a little less than a month, but it has crossed my mind that it can't stay free forever.

Agreed. A year from now we will have a lot more people participating. The bandwidth demand alone will sky rocket. I don't think Jeremy's friendly boss will want to continue supplying free bandwidth when their systems suffer!

But I don't think asking for a fee would be helpful.

I would find advertising on the site more acceptable. With many more users it would be attractive to companies such as Garmin etc. After all, Geocaching promotes the sale of GPS hardware and all of us are thinking about the next upgrade ...

Of course it will help to buy your new hardware via the Amazon link on the Geocaching site since it pays something like 5%. Everyone is free to donate money (or infrastructure) for the cause of course ... (anyone own a large ISP?)

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest manuelcasi

quote:

Bumpersticker? Hmm...

Don't like my driving?

Call 1-GEO-CACHING

I Brake for Geo-Caches!

Geo-Cachers

Play Hide & Seek!

Hitch a Ride on a Satellite:

Go Geo-Caching!

Have GPS. Will Travel.

Geo-Cacher

GPS: Geo-Cachers Play with Satellites!

Jeremy Irish for President

Anton

How about

got satellite---www.geocaching.com

Guest Monz

How about "Geocachers do it with their antennas pointing at the stars"

icon_wink.gif

Adn Oh yeah... Cheers Jeremy

[This message has been edited by Monz (edited 05 June 2001).]

Guest Monz

How about "Geocachers do it with their antennas pointing at the stars"

icon_wink.gif

Adn Oh yeah... Cheers Jeremy

[This message has been edited by Monz (edited 05 June 2001).]

Guest bunkerdave

Think you are right on the money with the advertising thing - no pun intended - It's not just GPS companies the site would attract - I just forked out another tidy pile to get myself properly outfitted for some remote cache hunts, shoes, CamelBak, DeLorme Maps, First-Aid/Survival kit, rechargeable batteries, etc. and so on. I don't think there would be any problem finding advertisers to whom the site is attractive, but then, I am not the one maintaining it, either. I only wish I had the skills to do so. I think that once companies realized what this sport is about, and what our needs are, those companies for whom we are a market would love a piece of the action. How many of us have said this is what got us back into the great outdoors? It's only been a year.

------------------

David Wallentine

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by manuelcasi:

An other bumber sticker

"our toys cost billons--www.geocaching.com"

another bad bumper sticker idea... ;~P

"ICBM accuracy and fetish for finding 'stuff'.

www.geocaching.com

Thanks to Jeremy again for the great resource!

-Iron Chef

"But a big booming voice from the sky IS exactly what you've found..." -Contact

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 24 May 2001).]

Guest Hard Slate

Boy, I bet this one fills up fast!

I've said as much in another topic column, but I'll say it again. THANKS JEREMY!!!

As a newbie, bout 2 weeks(1 find),I am amazed at the amount of people here. The site is remarkable!

I'm sure this is growing faster than anticipated,so at some time advertising may have to make the scene.But don't let it swallow you up,get out and hunt some!

Thanks again Jeremy!

Guest Alex

Thanks Jeremy, I've not only learnt to get lots of fun out of my 315, I've learnt heaps about the internet/html/etc. Thank you Jeremy and all for a friendly fun site.

Guest MikeLINY

quote:
Originally posted by manuelcasi:

An other bumber sticker

"our toys cost billons--www.geocaching.com"

What about a variation of "He who dies with the most toys wins"

something like "He who dies using the goverment's most expensive toys win's. Geocaching.com"

Thanks Jeremy!!! you've got me hooked

[This message has been edited by MikeLINY (edited 04 June 2001).]

Guest rediguana

Thanks Jeremy! I've only been using the site for about 6 weeks - since I purchased my GPS. You have done a fantastic job of making the sport what it is today. Don't let the naysayers bring you down, and I'm sure you're heading on with the best intentions of the geocachers in mind!

Cheers Gavin

Guest Team JackQuest

We too want to say thanks and appreciate what your time and effort has resulted in at geocaching.com. Hang it there!

------------------

TEAM JackQuest

Jack & Cyber

www.jackquest.com

Base Camp N 40° 20.268' W 75° 37.969' (WGS84)

Guest cliffy

I want to throw in my thanks too Jeremy icon_smile.gif Since my first cache discovery in April I've become hooked. (found all the local caches and hid 2.....3 more coming soon) I absolutely love this hobby and am just grateful someone like yourself has invested countless hours into this site without which the "sport" itself would not even exist or at least prosper. I honestly don't give a rat's a** who owns this copyright or that nor do I care who draws one map or another.......I just know I love the "sport" and wanna give you a pat on the back for all the time and effort you've put in making it all work.

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Guest cliffy

I want to throw in my thanks too Jeremy icon_smile.gif Since my first cache discovery in April I've become hooked. (found all the local caches and hid 2.....3 more coming soon) I absolutely love this hobby and am just grateful someone like yourself has invested countless hours into this site without which the "sport" itself would not even exist or at least prosper. I honestly don't give a rat's a** who owns this copyright or that nor do I care who draws one map or another.......I just know I love the "sport" and wanna give you a pat on the back for all the time and effort you've put in making it all work.

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Guest Nemesis

Thanks Jeremy! A majority of us are truly grateful for the time and effort you have put into geocaching.com (as for the others, simply ignore them). Lesser men than you would have walked away and left us to start from scratch, but you didn't, we respect you for that.

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest Lazyboy

I too appreciate this sport and this website. My wife wishes to thank Jeremy also for getting my ugly butt out of the house. Now she isn't quite as pleased with me being on my second gps already, but, I haven't been all that successful at making her happy anyway!!!

Guest cache_only

quote:
Originally posted by turken:

...I just wanted to take a moment to thank Jeremy for all the work he puts into making this site as good as it is...Again, thanks for all the work you've put into this.

Ditto. He has worked tirelessly. He is the major factor in the growth of the sport. Hats off to Jeremy.

Rob

[This message has been edited by cache_only (edited 05 June 2001).]

Guest cache_only

quote:

Bumpersticker? Hmm...

You have to imagine a thick bowery accent in the following:

Got 'ny cache?

Keep ya PEZ dispenser, fancy pants!

(No accent for the following two, but within a red circle and slash, meaning prohibited)

Marking in 2D Nav.

AOL CDs.

miscellaneous others

My other GPS is also a Garmin.

No! You can't hold the GPS!

[This message has been edited by cache_only (edited 05 June 2001).]

Guest ericdb1

What can I say that hasn't been said. Thanks Jeremy for providing a wonderful website and service. This activity has given my wife and I a renewed sense of adventure and a great way to spend time together. We now plan our weekends to go on a cache hunt or scout for somewhere to place one. This Geocaching website has really helped to make our experience complete. From myself and my wife, Thanks Jeremy!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Guest ericdb1

What can I say that hasn't been said. Thanks Jeremy for providing a wonderful website and service. This activity has given my wife and I a renewed sense of adventure and a great way to spend time together. We now plan our weekends to go on a cache hunt or scout for somewhere to place one. This Geocaching website has really helped to make our experience complete. From myself and my wife, Thanks Jeremy!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif