Delorme Topo Software and State Topo Book

Guest GeoScouter

Guest GeoScouter

I stopped by Staples today and they had the Delorme State Atlas Topo Map Book. What what was so nice it comes with free Delorme 3D Topo software for the US. It is a 2 CD set. It looks like the normal Delorme 3D Topo software without the GPS interface options. It goes down to 10 meter contour lines, displays in normal Lat/Long or UTM coordinates lets you add icon overlays with text and lets you print up to up 3x3 maps (9 pages)that you can tape together. The bundle was $18.00 Normally this sells for $20.00 without the software. Of course I had to pickup one. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by GeoScouter (edited 19 January 2002).]

Guest Hawk-eye

Which version of Delmore Topo was it? Kind of curious since their new TOPO 3.0 is two CD and closer to $100. Sounds like you got a really good deal ... even if it was their old version.

3245_600.gif

Guest SirRonny

I just picked up the Delorme Topo 3.0, bundled with their Map N' Go 7.0 for $49 at Barnes and Noble. Couldn't resist at that price and am loving it so far. Still learning what all I can do with it. There are updates for the GPS, Topo, etc., at Delorme's web site.

------------------

Huh, that?s funny, the sun is setting in the East tonight?.

N36°53.348 W90°30.126

Guest GeoScouter

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Which version of Delmore Topo was it? Kind of curious since their new TOPO 3.0 is

Its not the regular Delmore Topo. Its called the Map Print Pack version. It seems to have a lot of the features Delmore Topo version has. It has a copyright of 2001 on it. 2 CD's one for Eastern US and the other for Western US. I don't have the regular Topo version so its hard to compare all the features. Just trying to remember the differences from playing with the regular version at friend's place.

[This message has been edited by GeoScouter (edited 20 January 2002).]

Guest GeoScouter

quote:
Originally posted by SirRonny:

I just picked up the Delorme Topo 3.0, bundled with their Map N' Go 7.0 for $49 at Barnes and Noble.

Is that the regular price there? I have a Barnes and Noble about 45 minutes from here and hate to run over there for nothing. Appreciate the ISBN number or the part number if there is one.

[This message has been edited by GeoScouter (edited 20 January 2002).]

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
... and hate to run over there for nothing.

I just checked with the local one here in NC ... they don't have that package ... sounded like it confused the person I was speaking to ... I'd give your store a call before I drove that far for nothing. But that's a good price ... they sent me a offer (I buy a lot of their software) and TOPO 3.0 was 39.99 .... it's retail price is about 99.

I've tried it ... I still like Maptech better ... but hey, the whole country for 40 bucks ... that's pretty good.

3245_600.gif

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 20 January 2002).]

Guest Rich in NEPA

quote:

I still like Maptech better ... but hey, the whole country for 40 bucks ... that's pretty good.

How do the maps compare with MapTech's? I'm a MapTech user and only have the North Mid-Atlantic Region. The "quality" of the maps are very good (I'm not overwhelmed with the 3D feature), but many of them are not up-to-date. I'd give up coverage for accuracy. TIA. Cheers ...

------------------

~Rich in NEPA~

====================================================================

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

Guest SirRonny
Originally posted by GeoScouter:

Is that the regular price there? I have a Barnes and Noble about 45 minutes from here and hate to run over there for nothing. Appreciate the ISBN number or the part number if there is one.

It is the regular price here, at the Cape Girardeau B&N. The odd part is that they had just the Topo 3.0 for $39 or Map N' Go for $39 and then the shrink wrapped version that I bought, with both Topo 3.0 & Map N' Go 7.0 for $49. Sorry, I have thrown all the other packaging info away, but it LOOKS like this may be something the B&N store here put together. The shrink wrap looked more like cellophane wrapped around it with a $49 price tag on it.

------------------

Huh, that?s funny, the sun is setting in the East tonight?.

N36°53.348 W90°30.126

Guest Hawk-eye

The biggest thing is the Maptech of course uses the USGS maps and the the Del. maps are supposedly from that data but I've found many mistakes even on the Del 3.0 ... minor really ... some missing roads ... trails ... they really hype all the trails they have on their maps ... but old established trails in NC and some in Pa (lived in Mifflinburg for 12 years) are missing or inaccurate.

I really don't like the new format they use either. Could be I just got use to Maptech and can't get over it. I agree with you on the 3D feature ... it's interesting but not too practical ... for the Maptech ... you have to buy the additional data set to correct the 3D problems with the basic program. The Del. 3D feature is pretty much the same.

I have the map sets for NC,Va,SC,VA,Del & Maryland for Maptech. I use the Del.Topo for any other state I might need to look at.

Since you live up in that area ... I have a cache on Paddy Mtn. (Hawk 3) ... check it out.

3245_600.gif

Guest Rich in NEPA

quote:

Since you live up in that area ... I have a cache on Paddy Mtn. (Hawk 3) ... check it out.

Hawk-Eye, thanks for your comments. Guess I'll be sticking with MapTech for now. I only wish they'd update their mapsets.

Your Hawk 3 cache is about 96 "crow" miles from me, more toward central PA. There's quite a number of caches out there so I expect to be heading out that way in early Spring. Looking forward to it.

Cheers ...

------------------

~Rich in NEPA~

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

Guest bunkerdave

re: Delorme

I have been using this software since June, and I enjoy it. I paid $50 for UT, MT, CO, WY, and ID. I really only use UT, but what they heck, it's a set. Nice thing is it also does the routing and the GPS interface. Downside: It's not Maptech

I recently made the acquaintance of a gentleman who has done considerable hiking in the CanyonLands of SE Utah. This is as rugged a bit of country as you will ever see, I am quite sure. Delorme does not come even close to showing how challenging, but looking at USGS quads and Maptech's maps, you can almost do your route finding. Short of aerial photos, these are as good as it gets. My suggestion is that if you are planning on doing any exploring in areas you have never been to, don't rely on Delorme to show you anything but the road and the elevation gain. It has served me pretty well in "normal" conditions, but when you get in to "serious" circumstances, you need a serious map.

Guest Undar Ze Ock

Thanks Ya'll for the tip. Although it's not the best software maps, they are definitely the cheapest. The level of detail does not match up to the compition, but smokes 'm on price. I paid $19.00.