converting WGS84 to LAT/LONG

IGPoobah

If you select Menu-Setup-Position on the GPS receiver you can change the position coordinates from the default

hddd mm.mmm (Geocaching default too)

to hddd.ddddd or hddd mm ss.s or UTM, or several country specific formats.

d means degree, m means minute and s means second

60s = 1m

60m = 1d

h=hemisphere as in North South East West.

There are also several conversion programs out there which will do the same sort of thing on a spreadsheet or directly on a web page.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Not sure what you are looking for, but this may help you.

WGS 84 is the Map Datum

Lat/Long is one of the many Formats.

One needs to know the difference between these two items. These links may get you on the right track. http://www.maptools.com/UsingUTM/mapdatum.html

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/faq.shtml

Your Etrex is allready doing Lat/Long. As to how you put it into a mapping program, that is a different subject and it all depends on what kind of mapping program you have.

When you finally get it figured out, the next thing to learn is how to use UTM's in lieu of Lat/Long for map work. Much easier to plot your

position on a map as you traverse the terrain.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

You are certainly not ignorant. The Map Datum and Map Format are confusing and setting the GPS is not very intuitive.

Rule of thumb is to set your GPS for the map datum and format of the map you are using. I enter waypoints from this site in WGS84 datum hddd mm.mmm format, but when I seek caches I change the format and datum in my GPS. The GPS automatically does the conversion.

Using the wrong map datum will result in positional errors. Be careful.

The whole reason I'm asking is because I have a map program (DeLorme Street Atlas 8.0) which interfaces with my eTrex Venture, and I'd like to be able to work backwards so to speak. I can download routes to my GPS, and even though the venture is not roadmap capable, I can still use the route DeLorme gives me and be pretty close. However, the only way I can insert GPS coordinates into DeLorme is simple lat/long like we all leaned in school. So, thanks, should be able to figure it out now...