Took Vista on Cruise Ship

Guest raptorrider2001

Guest raptorrider2001

Stupid is as Stupid does...Took my Vista with me last week on a cruise from Galveston, Tx. to Cozumel, Mex. had a great time playing with it until something seemed to go wrong. Noticed that when using the navigation page the compass pointer always pointed in the same direction regardless of which way I was headed. Finally decided the unit had gone bad and after loosing some sleep over it, it dawned on me that it wasn't the Vista at all, but me. With the "track up" the ship was always heading towards Cozumel regardless of my direction. At least that is my thinking on it. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Guest Hawk-eye

Could be ... did you actually have the compass on? That effects the function of the needle on the navigation page. I was also ... as a side note ... with all that metal (ship) around you ... that must play heck on the compass function. Just a thought

3245_600.gif

Guest raptorrider2001

I tried it with the compass on and could not get it to work right either. The ship has antenas and several radar units going so that may have thrown it off but I was getting strong sat. locks on 6-8 sats. all the time. The cruise speed seemed to hang around 22-24 mph. The max speed it recorded was 30.4 mph. About 12:30 am one night the ship lost all electrical power and they got the backup power on but the ship was dead in the water for 1 1/2 hours. It was interesting to watch the speed as we got under way again. It was surprising how long it took to get up to top speed again.

I've never used a Vista, so I don't know the specifics of the features you mention. But sure--if the ship is moving at 22-24 mph, then your walking at ~3 mph isn't going to have much effect on the total direction and speed that your receiver is moving, relative to the world (and more specifically, the satellites). Similarly, if you're driving on the freeway, you shouldn't expect to see a different heading while you hand the receiver from the driver to the passenger.

Guest glenn95630

Posted above, "About 12:30 am one night the ship lost all electrical power and they got the backup power on but the ship was dead in the water for 1 1/2 hours."

Hello....

And you didn't get up and see if the pointer would change direction?

Sheesh. If you can't run around on deck in your pajamas with your GPS in the middle of the night then maybe you should select a cruise line that breaks down in the daytime. I'm sure the people in the midnight buffet line would be very interested in your research.

Guest glenn95630

r pajamas with your GPS in the middle of the night then maybe you should select a cruise line that breaks down in the daytime. I'm sure the people in the midnight buffet line would be very interested in your research.

Guest raptorrider2001

I was at the midnight buffet! Once the thing stopped dead in the water, checking the Vista was not a very high priority with my wife. We headed back to the room for life jackets and waited it out on deck near the lifeboats. I did have it with me in case we had to man the lifeboats.

[This message has been edited by raptorrider2001 (edited 30 January 2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by raptorrider2001:

We headed back to the room for life jackets and waited it out on deck near the lifeboats. I did have it with me in case we had to man the lifeboats.

Glad you didn't have to find out how waterproof it was!

Alan2

Guest temeculan

I also have a Vista and have found that the default settings will disable the compass while traveling at a rate greater than 10 mph. During this time, the arrow will point in the direction of travel. This feature is intended to preserve the batteries. I do believe that this feature can be bypassed or setting changed in the system software. I would give more specific help but do not have my manual with me as I write this post.

Guest apersson850

quote:
Originally posted by temeculan:

I also have a Vista and have found that the default settings will disable the compass while traveling at a rate greater than 10 mph. ... I do believe that this feature can be bypassed or setting changed in the system software.

First, the magnetic compass can be disabled completely. Either by holding the page button for some seconds, or via the Setup - System menu.

Second, it's possible to change the behavior of the compass automatic on/off. In Setup - Heading, you can select the speed threshold, where the compass will turn off when above, and how long time you have to be below before it kicks in again.

Anders