End of AdvantGo

Guest AZMark

As of 2/20/02 AdvantGo will no longer allow custom channels with over 8 subscribers.

http://ami.avantgo.com/support/mobile_support/

I assume we have way more than that even on some of the off site custom channels. I for one love having this available, but paying at least more than a small sum would seem a bit over most peoples budgets. Maybe if the AdvanGo Geocaching page was headed with a nice ad? Submit zip,,,a little like the Hollywood.com's AdvantGo page?

There must be some opportunities here? Others comments?

AZMark

Guest blscearce

quote:
Originally posted by george70:

How do you know if there are over 8 subscribers to your custom channel?

You don't, but AvantGo does.

I suspect that this will drive many users to other web-to-PDA software, like Plucker ( http://www.plkr.org ) or iSilo ( http://www.isilo.com ). AvantGo has some nice features, and is very easy to set up (especially if you buy a Palm that includes a CD with the software!), but it's not the only game in town.

I suspect that they'll have problems enforcing this policy, too -- they say that sites on the same domain count as "the same" for purposes of counting up users... surely that doesn't apply to aol.com or geocities.com or panix.com.

Yep, supposedly they are killing off all custom channels. Then they will only allow the first 8 for each domain resign back up.

I'm sure there will be a mad dash for some of the sites, but you are right, geocities and aol would have huge personal use yet only one domain....interesting to see what will happen.

Guest TresOkies

At this point, I believe it would be in our best interests to lobby our benevolent leader to add this feature or one like it to the main site. Then, support it by donating, buying stuff from the store, and offering to pet-sit on long weekends.

A number of us have tried solutions for the small screen and I think it's best for everyone if the effort is centralized. If there were one place where a reduced-data format were available, I'd be happy to throw my scripts away and use it. I suspect others would as well.

(Benevolent leader? Are you listening? I'd be happy to learn ASP enough to do this if you'd accept the offer.)

-E

p.s. My apologies for being anal about this, but there is no 'D' in 'AvantGo'. Thanks for listening.

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631