Backpacking Question

Guest bunkerdave

Guest bunkerdave

assault on Everest in August. (Psyche). icon_biggrin.gif Seriously, though, I do want to get into the mountains ASAP this year. I am hoping that by getting up higher, earlier, there will be a lot less crowding and a lot more water.

Let me know when and where. I already have 3 great hikes planned and permitted. Now I just have to figure out how I am going to ask my wife... icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

...two cups isn't very much water. I wonder how long it takes to do enough to immerse a pack of Ramen noodles? I like to fill the pot and boil the water, then make whatever I want from that

Dave,

I don't know your ramen-making technique, but I only use a cup and a half for my ramen. I have a small, one-quart pan, add about an inch and a half of water to the pan, boil, add the ramen and flavor pack, let boil for another couple minutes, and your done. I like to crunch up my noodles while they're in the package, but a friend of mine likes to keep them intact. Works both ways.

With less water, it's a stronger flavor.

Jamie

Guest infosponge

I tend to leave off the flavor pack and add a little pepper or some TVP (or both). There's enough salt in those flavor packets to pickle your innards! Of course, I used to eat them almost daily back when I was a poor college student and they were 6/$1. :-)

quote:
Originally posted by JamieZ:

Dave,

...add about an inch and a half of water to the pan, boil, add the ramen and flavor pack, ...

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

Of course, I used to eat them almost daily back when I was a poor college student and they were 6/$1.

I am a poor college student. Although, I haven't eaten a single package of ramen since I've started school. I agree with you about the nutrition contained in those things. I try to eat healthful, cheap stuff. Lots of fruit, lunchmeat, crackers...

Jamie

[This message has been edited by JamieZ (edited 14 January 2002).]

Guest TresOkies

od flame for the size, cheap

Cons: fuel may be hard to find in small towns or park stores, difficult to put out, requires that I drink Pepsi products

I think I need to perform extensive research into the Guinness can stove.

-E

------------------

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Guest jfitzpat

quote:
Originally posted by AZMark:

For the best on lightweight backpacking read...

http://www.adventurelore.com/

Ray can be a bit extream, but pick and choose how you want to lighten you load. Remember a pound on the foot is worse than poundcake in your stomach,,,,well errr something like that.

AZMark

I seem to remember reading in Outside awhile back about a company making gear and clothing based on the "Ray Way", and that Ray Jardine was involved. Go Lite or Go Light, something like that.

Ray made some serious dough with his much more effective version of the Lowe brother's spring loaded camming device for climbing protection. He is, by all accounts, still a character.

-jjf

Guest BrewMan

Bunkerdave,

It sounds like you have things well in hand weight wise. And it sounds like you have a good selection of equipment. So the only thing I can add is this;

If you are hiking for more than two days, when you hit anything over 30% in rise, limit yourself to four hours walking then rest, otherwise on that third day you Will pay for it. Heh.

My buds and I used to go "backwoods" at Island Pond in the "North East Kingdon" of Vermont every summer for a month.

A knife, change of clothes, and ten feet of rope each. We usually had venison by the second day. I miss it, but these days it would kill me. I know my limits. Heh.

The 1/3 bodyweight minus number of pounds overweight is a very good rule of thumb. Especially if you do any level III's and above. Remember, you are in no hurry. Enjoy it. I have met many hikers on the long trail that are in such a rush they miss everything. I personally don't mind, because I see them for a shorter time, but they lose a lot in not meeting me. icon_wink.gif

Guest BrewMan

Bunkerdave,

It sounds like you have things well in hand weight wise. And it sounds like you have a good selection of equipment. So the only thing I can add is this;

If you are hiking for more than two days, when you hit anything over 30% in rise, limit yourself to four hours walking then rest, otherwise on that third day you Will pay for it. Heh.

My buds and I used to go "backwoods" at Island Pond in the "North East Kingdon" of Vermont every summer for a month.

A knife, change of clothes, and ten feet of rope each. We usually had venison by the second day. I miss it, but these days it would kill me. I know my limits. Heh.

The 1/3 bodyweight minus number of pounds overweight is a very good rule of thumb. Especially if you do any level III's and above. Remember, you are in no hurry. Enjoy it. I have met many hikers on the long trail that are in such a rush they miss everything. I personally don't mind, because I see them for a shorter time, but they lose a lot in not meeting me. icon_wink.gif

Guest echosgold

Well, if you are near any water source, just bring a purifier instead of a ton of water. I like 'Hiker'. There are some many great books for cooking and trails. We have found some killer recipes in: 'Backpacker Backcountry Cooking- From Pack to Plate in 10 min.' We also actually enjoy the freeze-dried meals as well. REI has those. We are definitely due for a backpacking trip soon. We usually head out to the high Sierra's. Or Trinity Alps. Late August & September are great months to go. Flowers in bloom then.

Mrs. Echosgold

Elaine

------------------

Echosgold

www.Outdoor-Dog.com - Gear for Active Dogs!

[This message has been edited by echosgold (edited 14 January 2002).]

Guest bunkerdave

PEPSI CAN STOVE REPORT

Just thought I would let all of you know that in case you were thinking the Pepsi-Can stove was a hoax, think again. I have a nice plate of Ramen on the desk in front of me, piping hot, (too hot to eat, just yet) that says otherwise. Honestly, as soon as I put the pot on the can, bubbles started heading for the surface. I didn't time the boil, but it was good enough for me. I finally just let the pot sit right on top of the can, as the directions tell you not to, but my hand was tired. I threw in some Ramen just to see what would happen, and it looked so good, I threw the spice in, too.

My advice is to have a couple of cans handy, so if you run out of fuel in the one, you can light up the other one and keep the pot going.

The downside: Denatured alcohol costs $6.79 a PINT. I am figuring about 20-25 pots of water per pint, for around a quarter a pot, I guess. Sure is a cool stove, though. A guy I work with had me e-mail the link to the directions so he could have his Scouts make some.

Frankly, I was skeptical, too.

Guest jfitzpat

quote:

PEPSI CAN STOVE REPORT

[snip]

I finally just let the pot sit right on top of the can, as the directions tell you not to, but my hand was tired.

[snip]

My advice is to have a couple of cans handy, so if you run out of fuel in the one, you can light up the other one and keep the pot going.

The downside: Denatured alcohol costs $6.79 a PINT. I am figuring about 20-25 pots of water per pint, for around a quarter a pot, I guess. Sure is a cool stove, though. A guy I work with had me e-mail the link to the directions so he could have his Scouts make some.

Frankly, I was skeptical, too.

You really do want to be careful about putting the pot on a thin alum. resevoir stove. the structural integrity is more perilous than you might think (try standing on an upright empty soda can (it can be done), then have someone press on the sides (hopefully you won't crush their fingers!)). If the stove fails, the fuel will generally keep burning as it runs everywhere.

Having been trapped in a snowstorm, in a nylon tent, with a miss-behaving stove (white gas), I can assure you that it is something you want to avoid.

A lot of people point to fuel management as a downside to these types of stoves. After all, you do generally waste fuel with each burn, and open necked bottles are more suceptible to contamination than a canister system. But the stove and a pint of fuel weight almost nothing, and you can get in a lot of cooking.

I've always been nervous by how hard they are to extinguish. I had a nifty little one I bought in Switzerland many years ago, and it had a lid you put on to smother the fire. More than once, I pulled off the lid, only to have it flare up again. Better to just let the fuel run out.

I have a MSR Superfly stove now, with a hanging kit for climbs. It really isn't very heavy, but like I said, I often ditch it for one or two night outings.

-jjf

bit solid tablet fuel stove for the last 2 years. About 3 oz. in weight, fuel tablets are about .5 oz each. Works great for just boiling water for freeze-dried foods. I burn half a tablet to boil a pint of water for each meal. Tablets can be exstingished and relighted later. I get about 2 pints per tablet. Also have a MSR Ti pot which is light, heats quickly and fits very nicely on top of the Esbit stove.

For shelter I usually take either a bivy-sack or a one-person tent. For bad weather I like the one-person tent, its heavier but being able to get in and out of the tent without getting soaked in a downpour has advantages.

Experiment and figure out what works best. I go car-camping with friends and routinely try out new gear. This has the advantage that if something doesn't work out, I have a backup piece of gear to fall back on.

[This message has been edited by r-haus (edited 15 January 2002).]

Guest bunkerdave

I paid about $7 for the pint of denatured alcohol I used as fuel for the pop can stove yesterday. I did try rubbing alcohol before I went out and got that, and the rubbing alcohol worked (it burned) but I just wondered if the denatured alcohol would be THAT much better. Perhaps I will try the rubbing alcohol again tonight and see how it goes. It was 2 pints for 89 cents at the grocery store, so if it does work, it would be very cost effective.

I think in the future I will get one of the stoves described here. There are some real advantages to the features of each. I am a little wary of carrying any liquid fuel in my pack, for the obvious reasons, so a tablet fuel stove sounds interesting.

I will try all this stuff out this weekend down at Grand Gulch. Should be fun.

Guest jfitzpat

I've never used one of the Esbit stoves (the one I'm thinking of looks like a little piece of angle iron). I have carried a few of the Esbit cubes as my emergency 'fire starter' (see the Mom's list above). They come packed in plastic with a peel away foil backing (like a big pill) and burn very hot for about 10-15 minutes.

Very light, but they seem a little pricey. I think a pack of twelve cubes runs about $6.00.

I can wholeheartedly second the recommendation of the MSR Titanium Pot. It also fits great in most hanging stove arrangements.

-jjf

Guest Geo Quest

Here is the list of items I have in my pack.

They are listed in order of weight. (more or less)

Backpack

Sleeping Bag

Sleeping Pad (closed cell foam 3/4 length)

Fuel (use cartridge stove)

Stuff Sacks (leave out)

Maps/Guides (no giudes)

Tarp/Ground Cloth (use hardware store plastic dropcloth)

Water Bottles (use only platypus)

Stove (cartridge type only)

Water Filter (save weight by drinking at creeks)

Walking Staff (leave it)

Cooking/Eating Items (one plastic spork)

Camp Shoes (leave 'em)

Extra Socks (one pr. only)

Rope (leave it)

Wallet, Palm , Etc. (leave it)

Camera (leave it)

Shirt (only what you wear)

Pants (ditto)

Binoculars (leave 'em)

Flashlight w/ batteries + Extra (leave it)

Knife (lightest available)

Plastic Trowel (leave it)

Insect Repellent (leave it)

GPS (leave it)

Watch (leave it)

Mirror (leave it)

Nylon Line (leave it)

Gloves (leave 'em)

Toiletries (leave 'em)

Hat

Toilet Paper

Notebook (leave it)

Poncho

Cooking Utensils (one pot only)

Compass

Matches (Bic lighter only)

Chapstick

Extra Car Key

Hiking Boots - Waterproof

Anyone see anything I missed? Anything you would leave out?

Old thread I know, but my 2 cents is next to each applicable item.

Guest bunkerdave

Wow! That is what I call LIGHT. Unfortunately, I still like to have some of those things, and given the equation for calculating pack weight, I *think* I should be able to shoulder the extra weight. I am right around 40 lbs, which, with a decent pack (mine is pretty comfy, for now) should not be too bad. When I finish this post, I am headed for Grand Gulch, so it's time to put the kids to bed and see what it's really all about.

Happy caching!

------------------

BunkerDave

N 40° 7.081, W 111° 38.851

Guest jfitzpat

For well marked, summer trail hiking, I'm with Geo Quest. Sparse is good. But:

1. I get a mirror for free on my sighting compass

2. I gotta, and I mean gotta have a toothbrush (I bring a little baking soda, not to be lighter, to be greener)

3. I bring my tiny Petzl Tikka headlamp, and a paperback (the trashier, the better!)

4. I still bring a balaclava type hat, and usually gloves

But, on the plus side (or, should I say minus side), I ditch the poncho and bring a trashbag or two (I've got lightweight breathable gear if I really expect wet), and I often ditch the stove and go cold rations.

-jjf

rt out on. That decission is sometimes made after getting to a trail head and finding a 100 boy souts heading where I had intended to go.

4. Much of my food is right out of the grocery store. Look for packaged foods. Things that are add water and cook for no more than 30 min. Many of those that say add stuff like butter taste pretty good without.

Speaking of food, here's Byron's secret recipe for a finger food breakfast. "Byron's biscuits and gravey". First you'll need one the greatest things I've ever found, a Bake Packer. That's what makes this possible. OK, 1.5 cups of bisquick, 1 package of gravey mix, a few onces of jerky ground in the blender before you leave home, approximately 1.5 cups of water, and a baggie. In 1 cup of water add the gravey mix, try to get all the lumps out of the mixture. In the baggie mix the gravey water mixture, the bisquick and the jerky. Add water as necessary to get a well mixed dough. The dough need to be faily stiff. Place the Bake Packer in a pot with about 1" of water, the baggie on top of the Bake Packer, cover the pot and boil for about 25 min. Enjoy